Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 NSIC Basbeall

As someone who basically only watched Twins games in college because all of my friends did (and never cared much for baseball otherwise), I must say I have enjoyed watching this Augie squad in the postseason.

Hoping they can keep rolling. I do think it's kind of lame that that even if the Vikings get all the way to the championship game without a loss, it's still single elimination in the championship game. At least, that's how I understood it when I heard something on that front earlier this week. Someone should definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's accurate, that just seems dumb to me. I know the advantage is that they get more rest time than the other teams, but every other team gets two chances to win it, I don't understand why the team that doesn't lose only gets one chance.

EDIT: The Argus clarified the situation, which makes substantially more sense.

Looking forward, the finals of the double-elimination tournament could pit two undefeated teams, in which case the finals would be a best-of-three series. If one team has a loss entering the finals, their opponent would only need to beat them once to clinch the title (Huber had originally believed the finals were one game winner-take-all).
    Interestingly, I thought I had heard one of the announcers say it was a one game winner-take-all championship too, maybe on the first night, but maybe I just read the initial incorrect explanation in the Argus.
    Last edited by MrAugustana; 05-28-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

David Brown
      ?

@DBrownMidcoSN
      1h1 hour ago
      More
      How 'bout that? @AugieBaseball is ONE WIN AWAY from becoming @NCAADII National Champions! They advance to Saturday's championship with an 8-2 victory over Southern New Hampshire. They'll face either Florida Southern or Columbus State and have two chances to win it all #FightOn

Comment

With Augie's record, I never did understand why they were the #5 seed in the Central Regional. Maybe 5 will turn out to be their lucky number as they were also the #5 seed in the College World Series.

Congrats to the Vikings.....they're definitely playing like national champions.

Good luck to the Vikings on Saturday.
        Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 05-31-2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

NSIC has four players taken in this year's MLB Draft:

RHP - Gus Varland, Concordia-St. Paul (14th round, 9th pick, 413th overall - Oakland Athletics)

RHP - Dalton Roach, Minnesota State-Mankato (21st round, 642nd overall - Houston Astros)

SP - Jacob Blank, Augustana (22nd round, 664th overall - Minnesota Twins)

RHP - Zach Seipel, Minnesota-Crookston (27th round, 802nd overall - Atlanta Braves)

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
            NSIC has four players taken in this year's MLB Draft:

RHP - Gus Varland, Concordia-St. Paul (14th round, 9th pick, 413th overall - Oakland Athletics)

RHP - Dalton Roach, Minnesota State-Mankato (21st round, 642nd overall - Houston Astros)

SP - Jacob Blank, Augustana (22nd round, 664th overall - Minnesota Twins)

RHP - Zach Seipel, Minnesota-Crookston (27th round, 802nd overall - Atlanta Braves)
            If your list also included incoming NSICers, future Augie Viking Peyton Zabel of Pierre, SD was drafted in the 19th round (575th overall). He's slated to play both football and baseball for the Vikes. Could be a pretty talented player in both sports.

Also, according to Matt Zimmer: "Former Roosevelt, SF Cyclones and @AugieBaseball right-hander Tyler Mitzel has signed as an UFA with the Florida Marlins. Mitzel was 12-0 this year, and MVP of the D2 CWS." (Obviously that means he wasn't drafted, but I figured it still fit the general point of your post.)
            Last edited by MrAugustana; 06-11-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Augustana Vikings
              @GoAugie
              2h2 hours ago

.@Twins to Honor @AugieBaseball's National Championship Saturday, July 14 at Target Field | https://bit.ly/2m3jJ3v | #WeAreAU | #BuildingChampions | #D2Baseball

Comment

Mav baseball team earns ABCA academic excellence award.

https://msumavericks.com/news/2018/8...nce-award.aspx

Comment

Mav baseball signs nine:

https://msumavericks.com/news/2018/1...ng-period.aspx

Comment

Does anyone know of a good list for seeing D2 draft prospects? I know BA does them every other year or so - but I can't always access them.

I always like to try and see games featuring pro-hopefuls if I am able too, even if there's a very little chance they'll make it above A or AA ball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X