Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 WCHA Hockey

Originally posted by laker View Post
    Wow. I had no idea. I thought it was split up like the NCAA basketball tournament was. That sucks.
    Yeah, when Mankato makes the NCAA Tournament, the NCAA will pick up their expenses for that, but nothing else. There is a reason the NCAA tells teams they have to be ready to roll out of town four hours after they lose. On BSU's first trip to the NCAAs in Amhurst, MA, back in 2005, they lost to Denver in OT. I asked coach Serratore if they were going to stick around for the second game and the region final the next day, and he said nope. If they did, the school would have been responsible for the extra night of hotel rooms, meals, and travel home. If they left when the NCAA said they had to, then the NCAA covered the travel home.

Basketball is the same way, at least that is the way it is explained to me. Every team in the D-I tournament in Basketball gets their expenses covered and maybe a little bit depending on the number of games they play. But the rest of the profits are then divided out to all D-I schools/conferences (at least what the NCAA doesn't keep for "expenses").

It is part of the reason the NCAA put a hold, and now a long probationary period, on teams trying to transition up. The big boys felt the pie was getting split too many ways, at least in Basketball and Football.
    Millsy

Comment

I don't know if it's still this way, but years ago the hockey tournament was one of only a handful to turn a profit for the NCAA. It's a shame that money isn't distributed to those who contribute to it, like the basketball tournament money is.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
        I don't know if it's still this way, but years ago the hockey tournament was one of only a handful to turn a profit for the NCAA. It's a shame that money isn't distributed to those who contribute to it, like the basketball tournament money is.
        It is, from what I understand, along with D-I men's basketball. But when the NCAA demands $150,000 off the top right away from the four regions (not sure what it is for the Frozen Four), that is $600,000 right there. I was shocked that first year when BSU made the tournament and found out they were not going to get a cut of the pie since they were (are) a D-II school. At least the expenses for the tournament were covered by the NCAA.
        Millsy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X