Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 Baseball Stadium Discussion Thread

I've made similar threads for other sports but it never occurred to me to post one for baseball. Post photos, have discussions - whatever. I'll be adding photos here and there. Not all of these parks have the best photos taken of them, just an FYI.

I'll start with my alma mater.

Alumni Field, SMSU, Marshall, MN

-This field doesn't get used a whole lot, thanks to the weather. It's pretty simple and offers few amenities, but I enjoy it for what it is. It's set on the outer edge of campus. It's a very quiet place to watch a ballgame, the only noise coming from the highway off in the distance.

Legion Field, SMSU, Marshall, MN

-As such, sometimes SMSU holds games at Legion Field in Marshall. This stadium is primarily used by the high school and townball teams, and was once home to the short-lived Marshall Mallards. I figured I'd include it because while games here are scarce as well, they have used it in the past.

Marshall A's Baseball - Legion Field

Carroll B. Lamb Stadium, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA

-The stadium itself is fairly average, featuring very little spectator seating. It's the view that counts with this one.

Carroll B. Land Stadium - Facilities - PLNU Athletics

Fiscalini Field, CSU-San Bernardino, San Bernardino, CA

Here's a few more to get us started -

Loughrey Field, Winona State University

-The Warriors have tried to move from this spot a few times over the past decade, going as far to propose a new partnership with a local JUCO to run a joint facility on their campus, however I can't find any info of any real concrete plans going through, so this is what they have for now.

Winona State baseball signs six to 2019 recruiting class - Winona ...

Joe Faber Field, St. Cloud State University

-SCSU is a big baseball school in the middle of townball country. Their stadium is pretty impressive. They share it with the St. Cloud Rox of the Northwoods League.

Joe Faber Field - St. Cloud Minnesota - St. Cloud Riverbats / Univ ...

Wade Stadium, University of Minnesota-Duluth (part-time)

-The primary tenants of this facility are St. Scholastica (DIII) and the Duluth Huskies (NWL), however UMD notes on their facilities page that they do use the Wade occasionally. It was a WPA project that opened in 1941 for the Duluth Dukes. Joe DiMaggio once said that hitting a homerun here is a job "for the best of them."
    Wade Stadium, Duluth, MN | College baseball, Soccer field ...

Corbett Field, Minot State University

-This one is from the 1930's. It's also used by local high schools as well as the Souris Valley Saber Dogs of the Expedition League.

Corbett Field - Facilities - MSU Athletics

Comment

Here's the last four champions:

UT Baseball Field, University of Tampa

University of Tampa Baseball Field. Home of the 5-time NCAA ...

Karras Park, Augustana University

Karras Park Home of Ronken Field - Facilities - Augustana ...

Serpico Stadium, West Chester University

Serpico Stadium - West Chester University Athletics

NSU Baseball Complex, Nova Southeastern University

Sharks Baseball Makes Schedule Change - Nova Southeastern ...

Comment

Bemidji State and the Bemidji Baseball Association have put a lot of time and work into the field at BSU. When I was in school there, the infield was basically a sandbox. It is a lot better now.

All the entities involved decided to make this diamond the showcase diamond in Bemidji since it sits on Bemidji Avenue, the main drive through Bemdiji. Just too bad it doesn't have the backdrop that the football field has.

From the BSU Website:

Located at the corner of 19th Street and Bemidji Avenue, the BSU Baseball Field has become Bemidji's premier baseball facility.

With the addition of a 250-seat brick facing grandstand, irrigation system, chain link fences and lights the "Field of Dreams," as the Bemidji Youth Baseball originators called it, became reality in 2000.

The BSU field emulates Boston's Fenway Park with many of the same outfield dimensions along with its "Monster" chain link wall in left field measuring 24 by 80 feet to the foul pole. Down the left field line is 305 feet, straight away center is 390 feet and down the right field line is 325 feet.

In the Spring of 2007 the Bemidji State Baseball team fundraised and installed a new 70' batting cage along with a 18' hitting net to make a vital hitting area the field has lacked in the past. The BYB also bought new field grooming equipment and took over 100% of the field maintenance.

In the Fall of 2007, Bemidji Youth Baseball completed upgrades with the addition of 55-foot in-ground dugouts, a 28-foot state-of-the-art Fair Play scoreboard, a Pro Bose sound system and city water. With donated labor and countless volunteer hours this field upgrade was close to $135,000 in total.

During a normal year, BSU Baseball Field is the site of more than 100 games. The field is home to Bemidji High School and Bemidji State University programs in the spring. During the summer, teams from Babe Ruth, VFW, Legion, amateur baseball and 13-year-old prep leagues make BSU Baseball Field their home.

With the donation of land by Bemidji State and BYB's fundraising for additional improvements, BSU Baseball Field has become one of the top facilities in Northern Minnesota.

Millsy

Comment

Nice! I've been past that field, but never actually too it.

The photo from behind the plate is kinda cool, the road is literally right there to the left though - which is different.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            Nice! I've been past that field, but never actually too it.

The photo from behind the plate is kinda cool, the road is literally right there to the left though - which is different.
            Yep, I have seen windshields get spider webbed from foul balls as they drive along Bemidji Ave.
            Millsy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X