X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MStateMaverick
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    I'm embarrassed for the Gophers. Home playoff game vs Notre Dame. I saw another one from last night when both teams were on the ice playing. Announced crowd of 2012. Looks more like 212. Mariucci holds more than 9000.

Rather unbelievable, compared to what it usually has been there as to attendance.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Mavs top UAA 4-2 to sweep the series. Will play at home next week but I don't know the opponent yet.

Bemidji lost 5-3 to Lake Superior State tonight so Game 3 will happen tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    I'm embarrassed for the Gophers. Home playoff game vs Notre Dame. I saw another one from last night when both teams were on the ice playing. Announced crowd of 2012. Looks more like 212. Mariucci holds more than 9000.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by Millsy View Post

I have heard Huntsville is working on a presentation to the new CCHA and also one to Atlantic Hockey. I would venture to guess any presentation would have to include a travel subsidy, and I am just not sure how much they can afford. If they have to go independent, they will not survive. That almost killed them last time around, I believe one year they could not get enough D-I games to be tournament eligible. They also had something like only 10 home games most of those seasons.

I really only see one Alaska school surviving this shakeup. Fairbanks would be the choice from a competitive standpoint, Anchorage would be the choice from a population standpoint. If only one Alaska team is around, I think teams would be a little more willing to have them in a conference if there was only one trip to The Last Frontier for league play instead of two.
    I wonder if membership isn't the only thing that they are after. Hopefully their backup plan is a scheduling agreement. Going to Alabama or Alaska every other year or so might be more acceptable to everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    replied
    Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post

Thanks for the information. I'm mainly a football/basketball follower, but I also have interest in D1 hockey to a degree. Hopefully for UAH, they can find a new conference. Also the Alaska institutions. Though they may have to continue as independents.
    I have heard Huntsville is working on a presentation to the new CCHA and also one to Atlantic Hockey. I would venture to guess any presentation would have to include a travel subsidy, and I am just not sure how much they can afford. If they have to go independent, they will not survive. That almost killed them last time around, I believe one year they could not get enough D-I games to be tournament eligible. They also had something like only 10 home games most of those seasons.

I really only see one Alaska school surviving this shakeup. Fairbanks would be the choice from a competitive standpoint, Anchorage would be the choice from a population standpoint. If only one Alaska team is around, I think teams would be a little more willing to have them in a conference if there was only one trip to The Last Frontier for league play instead of two.

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied

During the D-II championship days and their battles with Bemidji in the 90s, it was not uncommon for them to have 5,000 + fans at a game. They are called the Hockey Capital of the South as they have had a school sponsored hockey team since around 1980, I believe. They had a real strong club team, winning a couple of Club titles, played a D-I independent for a bit and then went Club before jumping back into NCAA at D-II and then moving back to D-I when the CHA was born. But not having a winning program since the CHA fell apart and the almost death of their program before the new WCHA was formed, has killed any momentum they had as far as fans go. The Huntsville metropolitan area boasts a population of 444,000, Huntsville proper is at 200,000.

At the end of World War II, it was all the Germans that came over and worked on the US rocket program that started hockey in Huntsville, so it has a deep history.
    Thanks for the information. I'm mainly a football/basketball follower, but I also have interest in D1 hockey to a degree. Hopefully for UAH, they can find a new conference. Also the Alaska institutions. Though they may have to continue as independents.

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    replied

Does collegiate hockey have much of a fan following at UAH? I would imagine it is a sport not very familiar with most residents of a state in the deep south. Football is really big there; I recall visiting relatives in that state in the month of March, being amazed that high school teams were having spring practice.
    Division I athletic programs can be expensive to maintain (for that matter, even Division II for many).
    During the D-II championship days and their battles with Bemidji in the 90s, it was not uncommon for them to have 5,000 + fans at a game. They are called the Hockey Capital of the South as they have had a school sponsored hockey team since around 1980, I believe. They had a real strong club team, winning a couple of Club titles, played a D-I independent for a bit and then went Club before jumping back into NCAA at D-II and then moving back to D-I when the CHA was born. But not having a winning program since the CHA fell apart and the almost death of their program before the new WCHA was formed, has killed any momentum they had as far as fans go. The Huntsville metropolitan area boasts a population of 444,000, Huntsville proper is at 200,000.

At the end of World War II, it was all the Germans that came over and worked on the US rocket program that started hockey in Huntsville, so it has a deep history.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Does collegiate hockey have much of a fan following at UAH? I would imagine it is a sport not very familiar with most residents of a state in the deep south. Football is really big there; I recall visiting relatives in that state in the month of March, being amazed that high school teams were having spring practice.
    Division I athletic programs can be expensive to maintain (for that matter, even Division II for many).
    http://www.wcha.com/men/statistics/1920/oaattend.php

They draw better than I anticipated. And Anchorage draws way worse.

Leave a comment:

• MStateMaverick
    replied

I really don't believe that the travel is the main issue here for leaving UAH, Alaska and Alaska-Fairbanks out. Those three schools subsidize travel costs and they have to make the long trips for EVERY road series. It probably is a factor, but not the main one.

The issue is the uncertainty with the life of these three programs.

As for UAH, there always seems to be an air of uncertainty with their program, and this year is no different. Even though the Alabama Board of Regents have given the green light to work on getting an on campus arena owned by the school, they have allocated $0 for the project or study. But yet they can do $100 million upgrades to the Crimson Tide football stadium, locker rooms and practice facility.

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    replied
    WCHA Men's Playoffs are set

8 Anchorage at 1 Mankato
    5 Bowling Green at 4 Alaska
    6 Michigan Tech at 3 Northern Michigan
    7 Lake Superior State at 2 Bemidji

Semifinals will be reseeded with the highest remaining seeded team hosting the lowest remaining seed. The second highest team will host the remaining semifinalist.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Mavs win in Bemidji 4-1, are outright champs and host throughout the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    replied
    WCHA Standings heading into the final game:

1 Minnesota State 68
    2 Bemidji State 65
    3 Northern Michigan 47
    4 Alaska 46
    Bowling Green 46
    6 Michigan Tech 44
    7 Lake Superior State 38
    8 Alaska Anchorage 21
    9 Ferris State 17
    10 Alabama Huntsville 13

All we really know right now is that Mankato and Bemidji will be hosting Lake Superior State and Anchorage. Lake Superior is locked in at 7 and Anchorage is locked in at 8.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    0-0 at the end of two- BSU gets two goals, the the Mavs score but give up an empty netter and lose 3-1. All the marbles tomorrow night! If the Mavs win the host all the way through the tourney. If BSU wins they tie for the title, but would get the #1 seed.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    3 Mav women make All-WCHA honors., along with 14 on the All-Academic team.

https://msumavericks.com/news/2020/2...emic-team.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Millsy
    replied
    So, here is where we are at going into the last week of the season, but I am sure everyone is pretty much aware of it:

Team, current points, possible points

Mankato 68, 74, 1-2 (home ice in first and second round, share of the MacNaughton)
    Bemidji 62, 68, 1-2 (home ice in first and second round)
    Northern 47, 53, 3-6 (playoff berth)
    Alaska 43, 48, 3-6 (playoff berth)
    BGSU 43, 49, 3-6 (playoff berth)
    Tech 41, 47, 3-6 (playoff berth)
    Lake 35, 41, 7th (playoff berth)
    UAA 21, 27, 8-9
    Ferris 17, 23, 8-9
    UAH 13, 19, 10

Remaining Schedules

Mankato: BSU
    BSU: Mankato
    Northern: home and home with Tech
    Alaska: UAA
    Tech: home and home with Northern
    Bowling Green: at UAH
    Lake: at Ferris
    UAA: at Alaska
    Ferris: Lake
    UAH: Bowling Green

I have only looked at head to head tiebreakers, which is only available if the teams played four times. I am sure others have put more time into looking at them that I have.

-BSU and Mankato are tied at 1-1, with the final two games this weekend. BSU needs to sweep to take over the one seed and share the MacNaughton
    -Bowling Green owns the tiebreaker on Tech with a 2-1-1 record
    -Alaska owns the tiebreaker over Tech with a 3-1 record
    -Tech currently has a 2-0 lead over Northern with the final two games this weekend
    -Northern has the tiebreaker on Alaska with a 2-1-1 record
    -Bowling Green and Alaska would come down to other tiebreakers
    -Anchorage and Ferris would come down to other tiebreakers

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X