Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-20 WCHA Hockey

Originally posted by laker View Post
    UAA is moving their games to on campus. I was at Sullivan Arena for Gopher basketball back in 1994 when they won the Great Alaska Shootout. I would assume that their on campus building is much smaller, but I don't know what kinds of crowds that they draw.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/05/29/fia...ports-complex/
    Posted on my Beaver Hockey Facebook Page (thebeaverpond)

State financial issues have forced Alaska Anchorage to move their home games from the city owned Sullivan Center (6,400 seats) to the on campus Wells Fargo Center, which has been their practice rink. It appears, from UAA's website, the Wells Fargo Center ice rink seats 750....

They have a fairly new basketball arena on campus, the Alaska Airlines Center, that seats around 5,000. When that was being built, there was a HUGGGGEEEEE push to have ice making capabilities put in. But, the powers that be, I can't remember is it was the State or the University Prez/AD axed that out. Would have been a very nice home for their hockey program.

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...CLID=209866762
    Millsy

Comment

Shane Frederick
      ?

@puckato
      8m8 minutes ago
      More
      Meanwhile, Alaska Fairbanks earlier this spring announced that it will remain in the Carlson Center this season but is looking to move back on campus within two years. The Nanooks' on-campus rink will serve as a backup home arena this season.
      This is due to the Carlson Center's ice plant aging out and failing. It is out of compliance in 2020 (or is it 2022) with it still using Freon, and the State/City don't know if it will be replaced. I can't remember what the Patty Center seats on campus, maybe 2500?
      Last edited by Millsy; 05-29-2019, 01:46 PM.
      Millsy

Comment

The WCHA's statement on the move, they are okay with it.

http://www.wcha.com/men/articles/201...pJgozfKjrA-8B0
        Millsy

Comment

Shane Frederick
          ?

@puckato
          2h2 hours ago
          More
          Replying to @MavsLaker
          Sullivan seats 6,400+, it appears, while the on-campus rink currently holds 750 (plans are to expand to 2,500). ... Carlson seats 4,500+ while the Patty on campus has a little over 1,000 currently.

Comment

UAA said they have plans to expand the seating at the Wells Fargo Student Center. I do not know anything about the design of the WFSC, but to me, increasing capacity from 750 to 2000 or 3000 seems to be a major remodel. Looking at the couple of pictures I have found online, walls would have to be blown out to increase seating.
            Millsy

Comment

More on Alaska-Anchorage's move back on campus to the Wells Fargo Sports Center

https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athle...VrRqxxn-OMBjKQ
              Last edited by Millsy; 05-30-2019, 08:08 AM.
              Millsy

Comment

Looks like it may be a WCHA wide rule with Saturday mens games starting at 6:07 PM
                Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
                  Looks like it may be a WCHA wide rule with Saturday mens games starting at 6:07 PM
                  That would be fine with me. Living over 70 miles from Mankato, getting there early on a Saturday isn't a problem- getting home late can be. This coach turns into a pumpkin at midnight.

Comment

After coming off another championship season, any chance Minot moves up in the future?

Comment

Illinois shows just how difficult it is to start up hockey.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...ain-132974025/

Comment

Illinois shows just how difficult it is to start up hockey.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...ain-132974025/
                        Interesting that the NCAA does not require them to add women's hockey, due to 55% male enrollment and 45% female at that school.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                          Interesting that the NCAA does not require them to add women's hockey, due to 55% male enrollment and 45% female at that school.
                          Even if you start a men's hockey team and are out of compliance with Title IX, you do not have to start a women's hockey team. You could start a women's lacrosse, cross country or soccer team, if you wanted, to get you in compliance. It is all about the athletic opportunities/scholarship numbers matching your student body enrollment.
                          Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
                            Even if you start a men's hockey team and are out of compliance with Title IX, you do not have to start a women's hockey team. You could start a women's lacrosse, cross country or soccer team, if you wanted, to get you in compliance. It is all about the athletic opportunities/scholarship numbers matching your student body enrollment.
                            As women's hockey in Division I is an expensive proposition to start and maintain, with extensive travel costs, that is an advantage for an institution considering starting a hockey program (men's) In the case of MSU, I am almost certain that female enrollment has been and currently is higher than males.

Comment

I'm not going to start a new thread on this- but the only D2 hockey conference, the NE-10, just added Post as an associate member. This brings the number of teams to seven.

https://posteagles.com/news/2019/7/3...r-of-ne10.aspx

Comment

NE-10 Hockey should move up to D1 through an alliance thing like the womens teams do. NEMHA. That way they don't really need to increase the budget or Arena Size, but get to play like Atlantic Hockey schools and what not. Makes it a little more meaningful. I don't know why the NCAA shut down D2 schools playing D1 hockey. They could probably get a waiver for real D1 hockey if they so choose so one can make the tournament each year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X