Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is wondering why they only have the first 2 days on the schedule, here's how a 6 team regional works:

In most 6 team tournaments, the 1 & 2 seeds would draw byes and play the winning teams from the first 2 games. These regionals are set up differently with all 6 teams playing 1 game each of the first 2 days. With 3 winners on Friday and 3 losers, game 5 on Saturday is between the 1/6 winner and the 3/4 loser. If the 1/6 winner wins that game there will be 2 teams at 2-0 and 2 at 1-1 on Sunday. At that point the rest of the tournament would work out as normal. The 2-0 teams play with the winner waiting to play the loser's bracket survivor on Monday. The loser of that game will play the winner of the game between the 1-1 teams in the final game on Sunday.

If the 3/4 loser wins game 5, there will 1 team at 2-0 and 4 at 1-1 on Sunday. The results of Sunday's games leave 2 possibilities for Monday. One with a team with no losses and a team with 1 loss and another with 3 teams with 1 loss.
    Last edited by Randy; 05-26-2021, 05:17 PM.

Comment

That's too complicated for my pea brain, so I'll go with Randy's explanation. The West Regional is more my mental speed - only 3 teams (strange).

Comment

Any of you northern boys coming down for the regional? As NW Normal would say, "you never know what you're going to see south of I-70", so listen up. People riding Mules (UCM & S. Ark) have the right-of-way, so steer clear. We live by the 3-M's, Mules, Moonshine, Muzzleloaders (and banjos), so pretty much anything goes. See ya in Warrensburg...nervous?
        Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 05-27-2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
          Any of you northern boys coming down for the regional? As NW Normal would say, "you never know what you're going to see south of I-70", so listen up. People riding Mules (UCM & S. Ark) have the right-of-way, so steer clear. We live by the 3-M's, Mules, Moonshine, Muzzle Loaders, so pretty much anything goes. See ya in Warrensburg...nervous?
          Raining here now. I haven't seen much of it this spring. Neither have my fields. I'll have to watch on computer. It would be a fun trip but I'd have to stay in a manger- I'm guessing there is no room at the Inn.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Raining here now. I haven't seen much of it this spring. Neither have my fields. I'll have to watch on computer. It would be a fun trip but I'd have to stay in a manger- I'm guessing there is no room at the Inn.

We'll throw down an extra bale of straw for you and leave the lantern on.

Comment

We'll throw down an extra bale of straw for you and leave the lantern on.

Comment

Any of you northern boys coming down for the regional? As NW Normal would say, "you never know what you're going to see south of I-70", so listen up. People riding Mules (UCM & S. Ark) have the right-of-way, so steer clear. We live by the 3-M's, Mules, Moonshine, Muzzle Loaders, so pretty much anything goes. See ya in Warrensburg...nervous?
                Wish I was physically able to go to lovely Warrensburg as I don't mind mules, love moonshine as long as It doesn't give you jake leg and g-men are not sniffing around. Mules are OK just don't stand behind them to close. Muzzleloaders are smoky and the lead balls can rip bones in half. A good hootenanny would be appealing.

Comment

When are all those banjo pickers from the GAG going to chime in? Probably in route to the regional and stopped in Branson at the Road Kill Buffet
                  Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 05-27-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Just sitting at home minding my own business and I get sucked into a border war. Guess I'm gonna be pulling for my MIAA brethren for this regional. For you Northerners, it ain't real bar-b-Q lessen they got a big stack of hickory out back.

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                      Just sitting at home minding my own business and I get sucked into a border war. Guess I'm gonna be pulling for my MIAA brethren for this regional. For you Northerners, it ain't real bar-b-Q lessen they got a big stack of hickory out back.

You never know when you'll get pressed into service. Thanks, I owe you one.

Comment

Day 1 is in the books.

Mankato won the first game 9-8. It was a back & forth game until Mankato took the lead for good with 3 in the 7th and held on to win 9-8. Their closer Hunter Even recorded his 10th save despite allowing a 2 run homer in the 9th. Both teams started their aces (at least according to win totals) and neither figured in the decision. Mankato's Jon Ludwig (who has started 10 games this season) got the win in relief (8-2). Tech's closer, Nick Kovar, entered the game in the 6th and allowed the 3 runs in the 7th to take the loss (1-2). The teams hit a combined 5 homers.

The second game was much different as the Mules won 2-1. Mason Green recorded his 14th win (no losses) tossing 7 shutout innings. Evan Rathburn recorded his 9th save with a scoreless 9th. Henderson's ace, Spencer Taach, took the loss (7-2) allowing 2 runs (1 earned) in 4 innings. The bullpen didn't allow a hit in 4 innings. Both teams had scoring opportunities as each was only retired in order once.

The Mules hit into at least a double play in 4 consecutive innings. The 2nd ended on ground ball up the middle where the shortstop stepped on the base and fired to first. Probably the best defensive play of the game happened in the 3rd as the shortstop dove and knocked down a hard hit grounder to his left. He recovered the ball and made a perfect toss while laying on his stomach to the 2nd baseman who turned the double play. The 5th ended on a ground ball to 3rd where the 3rd baseman stepped on the base and threw to first. The craziest play was the triple play to end the 4th thanks to a bad bunt and base running. The bunt was popped up to the catcher who dropped the ball (on purpose) and tagged the batter. The runners saw that the ball was dropped and took off not realizing the batter had been tagged. The 3rd baseman chased the lead runner back towards 2nd and tagged him out and threw to the shortstop who tagged out the back runner who had already made it to 2nd but tried to go back to 1st for some reason.

The third game was the only upset of the day as SouthernAR beat Augie 8-6. Jacob Womack (8-1) got the win allowing 6 runs in 7 innings but only 1 run in his final 3 innings. Remy Bilodeau recorded his 2nd save with a scoreless 8th & 9th. Ryan Jares (6-2) took the loss allowing 6 runs in 4-2/3 innings. 4 home runs were hit in the game with the biggest being the grand slam by SouthernAR's Ty Manning in the top of the 4th.

Comment

Day 2 recap:

Two 1-run games won by GAC teams over NSIC teams but the games couldn't have been more different. Henderson eliminated Augie in the first game of the day 8-7 in 11 innings. The game had 26 hits, 17 walks & 3 hit batters. Augie scored 3 runs to tie the game at 4 in the top of the 8th. Henderson took the lead again in the bottom of the inning with a walk, single, walk and a third walk to drive in the run. Augie tied the game in the 9th with a single, walk, walk and a third walk to drive in the run.

Augie took the lead in the top of the 11th on a 2-rbi single. In the bottom of the inning things really got crazy. Augie used 3 pitchers none of which allowed a hit or recorded an out. The first pitcher walked 2 batters and then hit the third. The second pitcher walked home a run and then threw a wild pitch to tie the game. The third pitcher entered the game and the batter was put on first base to load the bases for the force at home. On his first pitch he hit the batter which allowed the winning run to score.

The GAC's only loss of the day came in the second game when ARTech was eliminated by the Mules. The Mules scored the first 7 runs of the game and held on to win 7-4. The Mules had 10 hits getting at least 1 hit from 7 of the starters. An 8th Mule was 0-1 as he had a sacrifice bunt and was hit by pitch twice. Colin Jones (7-1) allowed 3 runs in 7-1/3 innings striking out 7 for the win. Brady Gavin pitched a perfect 9th for his first save.

In the third game we finally saw some of the great Mankato pitching we had heard about in a tough loss for Nick Altermatt (5-2). He allowed a double to the lead off batter who scored on 2 ground outs. He allowed his 3rd and final hit, a single by Austin Baker (who doubled leading off the first). An error followed by a ground out left runners on 2nd & 3rd with 1 out. Next came his only walk of the game as the batter was intentionally put on first. The next batter hit the ball hard at the drawn in third baseman. The ball wasn't fielded cleanly and the throw home was late ending the game.

SouthernAR starter Zach Smith allowed 9 hits but only 1 run in 8 innings and Remy Bilodeau (6-1) allowed 2 hits but no runs in the 9th to get the win.

Interesting stat, the Mules who have hit the most HR of any team in the regional are the only team not to hit one in the first two days.
                          Last edited by Randy; 05-30-2021, 01:48 AM.

Comment

SUNDAY MULE PALOOZA - Mules vs Muleriders in the winners bracket semi final.

Comment

Something else I noticed, none of the 6 games so far have had 2 teams from the same conference play each other. Game 7 (CentralMO/SouthernAR) & game 8 (Mankato/Henderson) won't either. If Mankato beats Henderson in game 8 there will be no games featuring 2 teams from the same conference in the entire regional.
                              Last edited by Randy; 05-30-2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

What the hell, when did they announce a change in game times? Watched the late game yesterday and I don't remember hearing any mention that the Sunday schedule had been changed. Why the change, seems like poor management. Planned to drive over from KC for the Mules 3:00 game and just fired up the internet to check the Henderson / Mankato score and was shocked to see the Mules and S. Ark playing. Hell, no wonder the stands are half empty, UCM fans will be showing up at 3:00 and wonder what happened.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X