Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now former Mankato goalie Dryden McKay suspended six months.

https://www.uscho.com/2022/04/18/mck...in-supplement/
    Millsy

Comment

Non-league but Illinois is no longer considering to add hockey.

Illinois No Longer Pursuing Division I Hockey Program - IlliniGuys.com

Comment

I could start a new thread but here is the Mav schedule for 22-23.

2022-23 Schedule Unveiled for Mavericks - Minnesota State University - Mankato Athletics (msumavericks.com)

Comment

To no surprise, Augustana becomes the 9th member of the CCHA.

Comment

I am okay with the move (some Eastern CCHA fans are not). Sioux Falls is a 200,000 person market with a strong youth hockey program (my son has played some teams from there) and a strong USHL program. There are some businesses with deep pockets in the Sioux Falls area that seem to get behind Augustana. I don't think it will take long for Auggie to get up to speed, especially with the new arena being built.

Also, as a BSU fan, it does give me another relatively close option (3 hour drive for me) to see the Beavers. I can see why the eastern CCHA teams may be a little ticked about the added travel, but it is a nice fit for Bemidji, Mankato and St. Thomas, travel wise.
            Millsy

Comment

At nine teams, this could work out nice. The league could set up a 24 game conference schedule and allow for 10 non-conference games.

A team could play their four closest conference mates 4 times for 16 games. They then could play the other four conference mates for two games. For BSU, it would look like:

Augustana, Mankato, Michigan Tech and St. Thomas, four games (2 at home, 2 on the road) 16 conference games

That would then leave Northern Michigan, Lake Superior, Ferris State and Bowling Green. Play Northern and Bowling Green on the road for two, play Lake Superior and Ferris at home. The next year, flip flop this part of the schedule.

Minimizes travel and also opens up another non-conference weekend.
              Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
                I am okay with the move (some Eastern CCHA fans are not). Sioux Falls is a 200,000 person market with a strong youth hockey program (my son has played some teams from there) and a strong USHL program. There are some businesses with deep pockets in the Sioux Falls area that seem to get behind Augustana. I don't think it will take long for Auggie to get up to speed, especially with the new arena being built.

Also, as a BSU fan, it does give me another relatively close option (3 hour drive for me) to see the Beavers. I can see why the eastern CCHA teams may be a little ticked about the added travel, but it is a nice fit for Bemidji, Mankato and St. Thomas, travel wise.
                I'm excited, and I think people will be pleasantly surprised to see how the team is embraced. Hockey is the fastest growing sport in eastern SD. Much of that development has come in the last 10 years, and a lot of it has been driven by the popularity of the Stampede. They are a top draw in town, and in the league - which features teams in towns far bigger, more traditional hockey-crazed cities.

Everything from Walker Duehr in the NHL, to hosting the NCAA regional has had an effect. It's been apparent since I've lived here anyway. It's a bummer Brookings lost their NAHL team, but we can't win them all I guess...

Anyway, I think people will realize SF is a great city to host a college hockey team. Hopefully pushes the sport in the area a little more. Be cool if they recruited out of Marshall and Luverne too.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I'm excited, and I think people will be pleasantly surprised to see how the team is embraced. Hockey is the fastest growing sport in eastern SD. Much of that development has come in the last 10 years, and a lot of it has been driven by the popularity of the Stampede. They are a top draw in town, and in the league - which features teams in towns far bigger, more traditional hockey-crazed cities.

Everything from Walker Duehr in the NHL, to hosting the NCAA regional has had an effect. It's been apparent since I've lived here anyway. It's a bummer Brookings lost their NAHL team, but we can't win them all I guess...

Anyway, I think people will realize SF is a great city to host a college hockey team. Hopefully pushes the sport in the area a little more. Be cool if they recruited out of Marshall and Luverne too.
                  Sioux Falls is a pretty cool city, I've been there a couple of times. It's grown so fast that I was surprised the second time I was there, nine years after my first visit.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

Sioux Falls is a pretty cool city, I've been there a couple of times. It's grown so fast that I was surprised the second time I was there, nine years after my first visit.
                    It's a great city. They are going through a massive population boom right now, mainly people coming for work.

Comment

Aerial view of the Augie campus to show where the hockey arena will be.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                        Aerial view of the Augie campus to show where the hockey arena will be.

That's great news! They're finishing up a new 10,000 seat arena in Palm Desert, CA (near Palm Springs) for the Seattle Kraken AHL affiliate Coachella Valley Firebirds. And there's talk of holding ACHA collegiate tournament games there in the future. As you know, there aren't any NCAA hockey teams in California.

???????????
                        Last edited by crixus; 07-18-2022, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X