Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The WCHA as we now know it could be dead

Wow, Huntsville and the Alaskas left out! I know there are a lot of questions surrounding the Alaskas' futures, but Huntsville has plans in process for a new arena, pending funding from the Alabama Board of Trustees.

Not sure how I feel about this.......

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2019/6/...filiation.aspx

"Seven prominent NCAA Division I men's hockey playing institutions have announced the exploration of a new Division I men's hockey conference that would begin play with the 2021-2022 season. The seven institutions include: Bemidji State University; Bowling Green State University; Ferris State University; Lake Superior State University; Michigan Technological University; Minnesota State University, Mankato; and Northern Michigan University.

The group is comprised of institutions rich in history and tradition with a strong commitment to academic and athletic excellence. They are like-minded in their goals and aspirations for the potential new league with a focus on improving regional alignment and the overall student-athlete experience while building natural rivalries within a more compact geographic footprint.

The potential new conference is also committed to providing the best possible collegiate hockey experience for its student-athletes, fans, and all stakeholders. Finally, the group would plan to establish itself as an elite hockey conference that would have the highest standards for overall competitiveness and rigorous non-conference scheduling, along with a level of institutional investment that demonstrates significant commitment to their hockey programs and facilities, while also establishing relationships with corporate partners and others that create a high degree of visibility and positive media exposure for the league.

As current members of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) men's league, the schools have independently submitted formal Letters of Notice to the conference office, initiating the withdrawal process in accordance with WCHA Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws. The institutions will continue to play in the WCHA during the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 seasons.

The seven institutions have engaged Dr. Morris Kurtz, a long-time athletics administrator and noted athletics and hockey consultant, to serve as spokesperson and to assist them as the group sets out to transform the college hockey landscape.

During these initial stages of developing the potential new conference there will be no further comment from these institutions, including Presidents, Athletic Directors, and Coaches. Media inquiries should be directed to Dr. Kurtz."
    Millsy

Re: The WCHA as we now know it could be dead

This would really leave those three schools out in the cold. No pun intended.

Comment

As an outsider looking in on the Alaska situation:

When the Seawolves (Anchorage) announced the move back on campus, I felt things didn't look good. The press release said financial challenges made it necessary, but then in the next paragraph they announced that they would work to upgrade the on campus rink from 750 to the WCHA standard of 2500. That to me sounds like some serious cash would be needed and I personally felt they probably were on death's doorstep.....

Fairbanks (Nanooks) also plays in a City Run arena, but their ice plant is crapping out and the City did not know if they will have the funds to replace it. They also announced that they could move back on campus, if needed, to a 1250 seat arena that would have been needed to be upgraded to WCHA standards. This one didn't strike me as a severe situation as did the Seawolves.

It was mentioned over on USCHO that Alaska's governor announced his budget plans and it included the University of Alaska system to cut $135 million. That is a HUGE cut.

Huntsville is in the process of creating a huge University development area that would house an on-campus arena that hockey would play in (also be used by volleyball and basketball). The only thing standing in the way is the Alabama Board of Trustees approval and funding, but as Huntsville has seen in the past, if it doesn't say Crimson Tide Football on it, it is almost dead on arrival. This is probably the furthest any of their plan has made it.

As someone stated over on USCHO, this could be a shot across the bow of these three schools by the other teams, "Step Up or You Are Out".
      Last edited by Millsy; 06-28-2019, 03:19 PM.
      Millsy

Comment

Millsy- with only seven teams, would this leave an opening for St Thomas? :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          Millsy- with only seven teams, would this leave an opening for St Thomas? :wink:
          Or perhaps Arizona State?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
            Or perhaps Arizona State?

I think that the Sun Devils would be a great addition. I wouldn't mind a road trip to the Valley of the Sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

As someone stated over on USCHO, this could be a shot across the bow of these three schools by the other teams, "Step Up or You Are Out".
              I find it hard to believe that these 7 schools would go to all the trouble of planning a new conference just to say "never mind, let's forget the whole thing."

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the term "geographical footprint" as if being as wide spread as the old English empire would have been when it comes to college sports. If this "new" conference happens- why not some sensibility and have Miami and Western Michigan exchange spots with MSU and Bemidji? That would save travel costs and be closer to how things used to be as far as rivalries. They aren't going to undo the BIG setup.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                  I'm not a big fan of the term "geographical footprint" as if being as wide spread as the old English empire would have been when it comes to college sports. If this "new" conference happens- why not some sensibility and have Miami and Western Michigan exchange spots with MSU and Bemidji? That would save travel costs and be closer to how things used to be as far as rivalries. They aren't going to undo the BIG setup.
                  They talked about that on the USCHO podcast. I don't think it will happen. If there's a commitment to the program, why leave the best hockey conference in the country?

They also talked about some schools that are serious about starting a D1 program that they declined to name. I think that is a more reasonable assessment about where the new league is headed. I read a year or so ago about Oakland University being one of the schools who took advantage of the NHL offer to fund a feasibility study but haven't read anything since.

So based on the information on hand, I expect a new conference with the 7 schools and one other, perhaps an existing program (Robert Morris?) or a new program like Oakland University or even Minot.

And I also expect and look forward to more games out of conference.

Comment

At some point, reason needs to win out. Hockey doesn't make enough money to justify having leagues traveling all the way across the country, and splitting up longstanding rivalries. The WCHA and NCHC need to work something out for the good of western college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Supercal95 View Post
                      At some point, reason needs to win out. Hockey doesn't make enough money to justify having leagues traveling all the way across the country, and splitting up longstanding rivalries. The WCHA and NCHC need to work something out for the good of western college hockey.
                      By leaving the Alaska and Alabama schools behind, the WCHA 7 eliminated the expense of traveling to those locations. I think they saw the problems UAA and UAF are having and didn't want to be dragged down with them. UAH was a convenience when the current WCHA needed a tenth member.

The NCHC does not have to do anything for western college hockey. In fact, they can make a very good case that they are western college hockey. They are the best conference in the country. Why give that up?

I would bet that the 7 schools made this decision using information that we don't have. There is nothing we can do but wait for the whole thing to play out.

Comment

I don't see Arizona State joining these seven teams. The only team that is a "full D-I" school in Bowling Green, the rest are D-II with D-I hockey. I could see ASU joining the NCHC or as an affiliate member of the Big10 once their arena situation is taken care of.

St. Thomas makes the most sense to me. It would give the new conference a major market with the Twin Cities, albeit in the shadows of the Goofers. It fits the footprint and gives the Beavers and Mavericks another close rival. A rink that meets WCHA standards would be the only hangup.

I don't see Oakland U pulling it off. They explored back when BSU was in the CHA and nothing came of it. That is just my opinion.

Robert Morris/Niagara/Mercyhurst I don't see bolting either. While it is a fairly easy trip for Bowling Green and lower Michigan teams, Pittsburgh/Niagara/Erie is a haul for BSU/Mankato and the UP teams. Plus, they are having some success in AHA and the AHA is on track to become a full scholarship league. Also, their arena is too small for WCHA standards.
                        Millsy

Comment

I don't see Arizona State joining these seven teams. The only team that is a "full D-I" school in Bowling Green, the rest are D-II with D-I hockey. I could see ASU joining the NCHC or as an affiliate member of the Big10 once their arena situation is taken care of.

St. Thomas makes the most sense to me. It would give the new conference a major market with the Twin Cities, albeit in the shadows of the Goofers. It fits the footprint and gives the Beavers and Mavericks another close rival. A rink that meets WCHA standards would be the only hangup.

I don't see Oakland U pulling it off. They explored back when BSU was in the CHA and nothing came of it. That is just my opinion.

Robert Morris/Niagara/Mercyhurst I don't see bolting either. While it is a fairly easy trip for Bowling Green and lower Michigan teams, Pittsburgh/Niagara/Erie is a haul for BSU/Mankato and the UP teams. Plus, they are having some success in AHA and the AHA is on track to become a full scholarship league. Also, their arena is too small for WCHA standards.
                          Some other tidbits from the USCHO podcast...

Talk of leaving the WCHA and forming a new conference began in January, and the decision seems to have been made at a higher level than the coaches (though they were in the loop).

ASU exploring Hockey East. They weren't high on ASU to B1G considering that conference's academics.

They didn't think the new conference would include Mankato or Bemidji. Like everyone else, a realignment with the NCHC and swapping WMU/Miami. I still don't see this happening unless the NCHC has been really good at keeping their dirty laundry secret.

They also didn't think that Bemidji and Mankato had the resources financially to be in that conference because hockey was not the flagship program at those schools. Of course that's not true, so take it for what it is worth.

I hadn't thought about St Thomas moving up but that brings with it another set of issues, not the least of which is Augustana's lack of a D1 invite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I love this statement by bale31 over on the SiouxSports.com message board. One team has joined D-I college hockey in these seven years, Arizona State. Yes, others have or are exploring, but only one team has made the move.

"....one of the positives that people have liked to point out over the last 7ish years is that the breakup of the old WCHA and CCHA and formation of BTHC and NCHC created all sorts of supposed opportunity to spawn new programs. Fast forward 7 years and no one wants to allow anyone new into their conferences. Big Ten has a superiority complex. The NCHC has a fear of others bringing them down. The WCHA has real financial issues. So, what opportunity is really is there for expansion? To go independent?

I guess this just leads me back to the point I tried to make in my original post.... college hockey lost it's innocence when all of these changes started. There is no "greater good of college hockey" any longer, if there ever was. Many of us idealized what college hockey was and it isn't that any more. It's all about how much money can go into each individual college's pockets. It's just unfortunate."
                            Millsy

Comment

I love this statement by bale31 over on the SiouxSports.com message board. One team has joined D-I college hockey in these seven years, Arizona State. Yes, others have or are exploring, but only one team has made the move.

"....one of the positives that people have liked to point out over the last 7ish years is that the breakup of the old WCHA and CCHA and formation of BTHC and NCHC created all sorts of supposed opportunity to spawn new programs. Fast forward 7 years and no one wants to allow anyone new into their conferences. Big Ten has a superiority complex. The NCHC has a fear of others bringing them down. The WCHA has real financial issues. So, what opportunity is really is there for expansion? To go independent?
                              Remember when US International and Northern Arizona had hockey? There were others who have dropped it too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X