Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laker View Post
    Remember when US International and Northern Arizona had hockey? There were others who have dropped it too.
    Article from The Free Press.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...a1fd3d2da.html

Sounds like the 7 break away schools are pretty serious. It sucks for the other three, but I don't want to reminisce about my alma master's hockey program in a few years.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: The WCHA as we now know it could be dead

Alaska is serious about cuts.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...ska-employees/

Comment

My gut tells me this is not going to end well for Anchorage and Fairbanks. I mean, cutting 41% of your budget is cutting not just down to the bone, but into the bone, unless there is a TON of waste in the system (this isn't Crimson Tide football we're talking about). Athletics at the two schools are going to take a hit, and hockey will probably get hit the worst being D-I and having a bigger budget than the other programs.
        Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
          My gut tells me this is not going to end well for Anchorage and Fairbanks. I mean, cutting 41% of your budget is cutting not just down to the bone, but into the bone, unless there is a TON of waste in the system (this isn't Crimson Tide football we're talking about). Athletics at the two schools are going to take a hit, and hockey will probably get hit the worst being D-I and having a bigger budget than the other programs.
          If one or both teams can't answer the bell for this upcoming season, it might be better to for all involved to get it over with as soon as possible. At least the rest of the conference can make suitable arrangements. It might be too late to line up out of conference opponents, but maybe they can add in an extra conference series or two.

Either way, this isn't good for the WCHA.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

WCHA still trying to figure things out:

https://www.miningjournal.net/sports...ngs-out-after/

Comment

Alaska's governor's nice little video. Full dividend checks for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZMtzSicGsI

As someone stated on USCHO, Alaska has something like $70 BILLION in the bank that they are not allowed to touch. What is the purpose of a rainy day fund if you can't touch it when times are dire?
              Millsy

Comment

Not WCHA- but this gives you an idea on how hard it is to start up a college hockey team- especially without much backing from the school. Penn hockey endowment club faces challenges.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/0...vy-league-ncaa

Comment

Not WCHA- but this gives you an idea on how hard it is to start up a college hockey team- especially without much backing from the school. Penn hockey endowment club faces challenges.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/0...vy-league-ncaa
                  Interesting. Say they managed to move up. Where would they play considering the ECAC is already at 12 teams?

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
                    Interesting. Say they managed to move up. Where would they play considering the ECAC is already at 12 teams?
                    I thought about that. If Penn added hockey, it would bring the number of Ivy teams to 7- only Columbia wouldn't have it. They could start their own conference..........

Comment

I thought about that. If Penn added hockey, it would bring the number of Ivy teams to 7- only Columbia wouldn't have it. They could start their own conference..........
                      Well they are like-minded...

Comment

The Ivies already are at six teams and could break off and get an auto bid right away if they wanted to. There seems to be no interest in doing that.

If Penn does add hockey (and that is a BIGGGGGG IF), the ECAC would probably try to poach a team from AHA (RIT always seems to be mentioned) and get to 14. Break into two pods of seven, play everyone in your pod three times (18 games), everyone in the other pod once (7 games) for 25 league games.
                        Millsy

Comment

We will see if I can get all of this from over on USCHO regarding the chance of a veto override in Alaska:

There was a pissing match earlier about whether the special session should be in Juneau or Wasilla. The Democrats felt it should be in the capital, Juneau, the Republicans and Governor wanted it in Wasilla. Sounds like the Governor called it in Wasilla.

Only 38 members are present in Wasilla. They need 45 votes out of 60 to override, or 75% of the total legislative body.

No one has spoken in favor of the governor's veto. Even Republicans are bashing him.

Doesn't look like the veto will get overridden, unless the 22 sitting in Juneau show up in the next two days in Wasilla......

Edit: I might have my towns flip flopped, trying to follow all of the twists and turns is mind boggling...... Either way, 22 members of the body stayed where they wanted the special session. By not having a quorum, any vote taken does not count.....
                          Last edited by Millsy; 07-10-2019, 02:43 PM.
                          Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
                            We will see if I can get all of this from over on USCHO regarding the chance of a veto override in Alaska:

There was a pissing match earlier about whether the special session should be in Juneau or Wasilla. The Democrats felt it should be in the capital, Juneau, the Republicans and Governor wanted it in Wasilla. Sounds like the Governor called it in Wasilla.

Only 38 members are present in Wasilla. They need 45 votes out of 60 to override, or 75% of the total legislative body.

No one has spoken in favor of the governor's veto. Even Republicans are bashing him.

Doesn't look like the veto will get overridden, unless the 22 sitting in Juneau show up in the next two days in Wasilla......

Edit: I might have my towns flip flopped, trying to follow all of the twists and turns is mind boggling...... Either way, 22 members of the body stayed where they wanted the special session. By not having a quorum, any vote taken does not count.....
                            I feel badly for the U Alaska hockey programs. At this point, I don't know how they answer the bell this season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Update on the Alaska situation....

So, the Governor called a special session, but said it should be in Wasilla, which is a conservative hotbed and very supportive of the Governor. Leaders on both sides of the aisle said that he can't do this, that the State Constitution says that it has to be at the Capital in Juneau. So, 38 of the 60 legislators show up in Juneau, while 22 conservative Republicans and the Governor hole up in a middle school in Wasilla, avoiding the debate and vote. By law, they need 45 legislators to vote yes to override the Governor's veto. With only 38 in Juneau, they don't have a quorum, so any vote that happens will not count. Those that did show up in Juneau voted yesterday and it was 37-1 to override. That vote was thrown out though as there was not a quorum.

They have until 11:59 PM on Friday to try and override the veto. It is unclear what will happen. One thing that could happen is that the 38 in Juneau could vote to not issue dividend checks this year, which would fly in the face of the Governor as he wanted them to vote to increase the payout this year.

We will see what happens. Sounds like this all will probably end up in court as one former legislator and buddy with the Governor has already filed a lawsuit.
                              Millsy

Comment

So, I was busy with some home improvements over the weekend, but figured I should update on the Alaska situation based on accounts from USCHO.

The Alaska Legislature was unable to override the Governor's veto. The 22 Republicans and the Governor stayed in Wasilla during the whole time and avoided the debate and vote. The 38 Legislators that did meet in Juneau couldn't really do much as they did not have the 45 votes needed to override the veto. The 38 contemplated the idea of going to Wasilla to force a vote, but it was felt if a vote happened anywhere other than Juneau, which the Constitution dictated, it would have ended up in court and probably would have invalidated any override. Part of the Governor's plan all along???? Hmmm.....

On Monday, the University of Alaska Board of Regents met to discuss how to handle cutting $135 million out of the budget (again, 41%). Athletics was not brought up until the very end, and it sounds like it will be a target of cuts, just not sure how much (it was noted that athletics loses $14.5 million a year in the UA System, not sure if that is true). There is talk of closing campus and closing programs. Another area that was brought up was getting rid of redundancy of majors, which makes sense. If a major in education is offered at more than one campus, then that major would be shuttered at all campuses but one. How much that would save, it wasn't clear. The Board gave themselves until July 30th to come up with a plan and then will meet again.
                                Millsy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X