Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
    So, I was busy with some home improvements over the weekend, but figured I should update on the Alaska situation based on accounts from USCHO.

The Alaska Legislature was unable to override the Governor's veto. The 22 Republicans and the Governor stayed in Wasilla during the whole time and avoided the debate and vote. The 38 Legislators that did meet in Juneau couldn't really do much as they did not have the 45 votes needed to override the veto. The 38 contemplated the idea of going to Wasilla to force a vote, but it was felt if a vote happened anywhere other than Juneau, which the Constitution dictated, it would have ended up in court and probably would have invalidated any override. Part of the Governor's plan all along???? Hmmm.....

On Monday, the University of Alaska Board of Regents met to discuss how to handle cutting $135 million out of the budget (again, 41%). Athletics was not brought up until the very end, and it sounds like it will be a target of cuts, just not sure how much (it was noted that athletics loses $14.5 million a year in the UA System, not sure if that is true). There is talk of closing campus and closing programs. Another area that was brought up was getting rid of redundancy of majors, which makes sense. If a major in education is offered at more than one campus, then that major would be shuttered at all campuses but one. How much that would save, it wasn't clear. The Board gave themselves until July 30th to come up with a plan and then will meet again.
    The future of the two hockey programs looks bleak. Say what you want about the seven schools leaving the nWCHA, but this time they aren't sitting around waiting for things to happen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: The WCHA as we now know it could be dead

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
      The future of the two hockey programs looks bleak. Say what you want about the seven schools leaving the nWCHA, but this time they aren't sitting around waiting for things to happen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      The scary thing is that, if I am recalling correctly, this is part of a two year budget cut plan by the governor. He cut $300+ million this year ($130 million from the UA System) and next year he wants to cut an even greater amount from the budget.
      Millsy

Comment

The Alaska Board of Regents just held their intermediate meeting, voted 10-1 to start Financial Exigency process. It is hard to imagine that athletics will survive this year when academic programs and tenured professors are going to get the axe......
        Millsy

Comment

Looks like there is a proposal by the Alaskan Legislature to reinstate $110 million to the University in exchange for a dividend check of $1600 (I think right now it is set for $600 or $900). People following it aren't sure which way the governor will go as he wants at least $3000 per person for dividend checks.
          Millsy

Comment

If Anchorage and Fairbanks weren't so far apart, I could see the two schools merge

Comment

Anchorage and Fairbanks, it appears by all reports, will be playing this year. It looks as if the Alaska Board of Regents is going to allow all teams to play this year and then make athletic cuts next year.

It was already stated in one of the articles that you will see programs merge, so there most likely will only be one Alaska team. Where they will be located is up in the air, but you can bet there will be a fight over which sports end up on which campus. Anchorage has the brand new Alaska Airlines Center that hosts Basketball, Volleyball and Gymnastics, so the safe bet is those sports would end up in Anchorage. One of the Board members has said that they feel all sports should be where there is the most support and financial assistance from the outside available. By the sounds of that, it could mean Fairbanks will not end up with much.

Also, the NCAA would have to sign off on the whole split campus/split sports idea. The NCAA mandates 10 sports must be offered by a school to be D-II. But it is uncertain whether or not they will allow Alaska to put some sports in Anchorage and some sports in Fairbanks.
              Millsy

Comment

Anchorage and Fairbanks, it appears by all reports, will be playing this year. It looks as if the Alaska Board of Regents is going to allow all teams to play this year and then make athletic cuts next year.

By the sounds of that, it could mean Fairbanks will not end up with much.
                I agree- UAA would probably get the lion's share. And if they cut back to one team- will the WCHA want them? I can't see them surviving as an independent. And when you look at how much of the athletic budget both spend on hockey- it might be more economical to cut the sport altogether.

Comment

I hate to say it, but, cut hockey completely and they might be able to save the rest of the sports at both schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Supercal95 View Post
                    I hate to say it, but, cut hockey completely and they might be able to save the rest of the sports at both schools.
                    That would be the most logical thing to do. It all depends who has the most power in the decision making.

Comment

Looks like the Governor, Legislature and Board of Regents agreed to cutting a total of $70 million over the next three years. Only $25 million will need to be cut this year from the UA System Budget.
                      Millsy

Comment

Comment

As far as I know, dead. Simon Fraser was going to run into issues on whether or not players who played Major Juniors would be grandfathered in. Minot, I think the rumblings were more from fans than the school, but I could be wrong on that.

If Simon Fraser were to go NCAA D-I, I doubt they would be in the new league. The seven that are breaking off are doing so out of travel concerns, and traveling to the West Coast of Canada doesn't fit that. Minot would somewhat fit the new league, but would be somewhat of an outlier.

My money is still on St. Thomas getting the 8th spot, with Huntsville a distant second and Arizona State third.
                          Millsy

Comment

As far as I know, dead. Simon Fraser was going to run into issues on whether or not players who played Major Juniors would be grandfathered in. Minot, I think the rumblings were more from fans than the school, but I could be wrong on that.

If Simon Fraser were to go NCAA D-I, I doubt they would be in the new league. The seven that are breaking off are doing so out of travel concerns, and traveling to the West Coast of Canada doesn't fit that. Minot would somewhat fit the new league, but would be somewhat of an outlier.

My money is still on St. Thomas getting the 8th spot, with Huntsville a distant second and Arizona State third.
                            Hockey could get cut. UST shares a hockey arena with St. Thomas Academy and that arena is NO WHERE to meeting D1 requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

Hockey could get cut. UST shares a hockey arena with St. Thomas Academy and that arena is NO WHERE to meeting D1 requirements.
                              Yeah, that is true, but would do in the time being. There are some deep pocketed St. Thomas alums, and I think something gets done on the arena situation, whether it is working out a deal to rework the Colosseum at the Fairgrounds or building something closer to campus. I don't know a lot about their campus other than it is pretty landlocked. Could something be worked out with St. Kate's and St. Paul Academy and Summit School? I don't know and I will admit I am not real familiar with the area.
                              Millsy

Comment

Yeah, that is true, but would do in the time being. There are some deep pocketed St. Thomas alums, and I think something gets done on the arena situation, whether it is working out a deal to rework the Colosseum at the Fairgrounds or building something closer to campus. I don't know a lot about their campus other than it is pretty landlocked. Could something be worked out with St. Kate's and St. Paul Academy and Summit School? I don't know and I will admit I am not real familiar with the area.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X