Does it get any better for MIAA fans? Four teams from the nation's best conference are ranked among the Top 6 in the country's best region, meaning all they have to do is win next week and they're all in.

Not only do we, AS OF NOW, have four teams poised to make the playoffs, but we'd, AS OF NOW, have two home games in the first round and, AS OF NOW, a Northwest-Pitt matchup in the Jungle.

Now don't get me wrong. I appreciate the Fall Classic and what it does for those programs, but that's a rivalry that deserves to be played on campus.

Here's a look at the Super Region 4 rankings: (Text continues below rankings)

1 Midwestern State 9-0 9-0
2 Washburn 8-1 9-1
3 Pittsburg State 8-1 8-1
4 Missouri Western State 7-2 8-2
5 Abilene Christian 7-1 7-2
6 Northwest Missouri State 7-2 8-2
7 Ouachita Baptist 7-2 7-2
8 Humboldt State 7-1 8-1
9 West Texas A&M 6-3 6-3
10 Central Missouri 7-3 7-3

Here's the link to all four regions: http://www.d2football.com/regionalrankings/13/

So for the newcomers out there, what this means is Midwestern and Washburn get byes. Pitt would host Northwest for a trip to Washburn and MoWest would host ACU for a trip to Midwestern. After living through 2009, when just one MIAA team made the playoffs, this is genuinely thrilling to have the chance to get four in this year. Now, with two losses, Missouri Western and Northwest Missouri better take care of business this week, but I have a feeling even if Washburn or Pitt lose, they'll still sneak into the Top 6 with two losses.

There's a lot of hypotheticals out there as to what would happen if... Bottom line for the four MIAA teams currently in the playoffs, win and you're in, and with all of them facing lesser opponents, there's a pretty good chance that will happen.

So who's left for the bowl games?

After speaking with officials with the Mineral Water Bowl and the MIAA today, things are getting a little clearer as to what might happen if indeed all four of the above teams make the playoffs. Before we get into things, let's get one thing straight. This is all hypothetical. A lot of things could happen Saturday.

First, if any of the four teams slips out of the top six, then that team and Central get the bowl bids. No questions asked, no ifs ands or buts. Like I said above, Western and Northwest are the most likely to slip out if they slip up, and both have the head-to-head tiebreaker over Central, so even if Central pulls an upset over Washburn, Northwest and MoWest would both get the first pick of Mineral Water or Kanza Bowl with Central heading to the other.

If somehow, both lose and miss the playoffs, Central gets bumped from a bowl game and Missouri Western gets to make the call.

Now, I'm an optimist and to be quite frank, I want four MIAA teams in the playoffs. So let's assume Washburn, Pitt, Missouri Western and Northwest Missouri all get in. While we're at it, let's assume all four of them win (Northwest hosts 5-5 Emporia, Washburn hosts Central, Western visits Hays and Pitt hosts Southern).

That leaves Emporia at 5-6 and Hays at 4-7. But the teams would both be 3-6 in the conference and Hays has the head-to-head tie-breaker. That means if all four of the above win and make the playoffs, and Central Missouri picks the Mineral Water Bowl (which as of now would mean a matchup with Minnesota Duluth), Fort Hays would get the invite to the Kanza Bowl.

But if Central picks the Kanza Bowl (which right now would mean a matchup with West Texas A&M), then the Mineral Water Bowl has options. That's because in their contract with the MIAA, it stipulates the conference must provide an above-.500 team. Obviously, ESU and Hays aren't winning teams, so the Mineral Water Bowl Board can pretty much do whatever it wants, including going outside the MIAA to fill the spot.

If you've been reading me the last week, none of what I just said is new. But this is. The Mineral Water Bowl has been contacted by three Division II independents: 7-3 Northeastern State, 6-4 Southwest Baptist and 5-4 Sioux Falls.

My source at the Mineral Water Bowl tells me all three teams are on the table, and if the above hypotheticals worked out, Emporia at 5-6 would be an option, but likely not a 4-7 Hays team. When asked if 7-3 Lindenwood, another D2 independent (who like SBU & Northastern State are joining the MIAA next year) might be an option, he said they could be, though they had not been contacted by them. Other teams may be an option as well, and the Board will meet later this week to discuss who they might invite if they're left without an above-.500 MIAA team to play.

It's all about who might draw fans. So it's going to be interesting to see who they go with, IF it all works out like that. I am of the opinion that of the six above options (ESU, Hays, SBU, USF, Lindenwood & Northeastern), they'd go with Emporia, if for no other reason than to stay in the MIAA. It's what they did last year when they picked 5-6 Pitt when stuck with a similar situation (though Pitt State is probably a better draw than any of the options either this year or last AND I guessed last year they'd go with SBU and they didn't, so what do I know?). Emporia is also the shortest trip for fans.

Now, let's go back to the Kanza Bowl again. Let's say Southern upsets Pitt State, and like I said, the Gorillas still get in with two losses.

That puts Missouri Southern at 3-6 in the conference as well and in a three-way tie with Emporia and Hays. The only stipulation in the Kanza Bowl contract that opens up any options is if their first invite declines OR if there's more than two teams tied for the available slot.

So if Southern, Hays and Emporia all tie for sixth place in the conference and the MIAA gets its four teams into the playoffs, then it's up to the Kanza Bowl selection committee to decide who to pick, and you'd have to think (My calls to the Kanza Bowl were not immeidately returned) they'd go with a 5-6 Emporia team over a 4-7 Hays team.

Now, I've covered several hypotheticals, and obviously there's a million more. I'd like to know a few things.

1. Does all of this make sense? Did I explain it right? If not, post a question with what you need clarified and I'll do my best to explain.

2. If you were the top-finishing MIAA non-playoff team, which bowl would YOU choose.

3. If you were the Mineral Water Bowl, and had the option to go with Emporia, Hays, any other MIAA team or a non-conference team, who would you select?

Go ahead and leave your comments!