(Photo Courtesy UWA Athletics)

I watched the Tigers last week and saw some really talented players on the field. Then, I got a bit nervous as they went back and forth a bit before ultimately securing the home win over Lenoir-Rhyne. GSC Offensive Player of the Week Harry Satterwhite passed for 256 yards and 1 INT for the Tigers with 82 of them going to receiver Qa Boyd, who looked like a man among boys on certain plays. On defense, they allowed 484 yards but snagged three interceptions. Tavaris Hutchison led the game with 11 tackles.

Miles had 115 yards on offense last week. Read that again. Either, A&M has a stellar defensive unit or things were out of whack that first game. I expect improved play by the Golden Bears this week but West Alabama is too talented to let this win get away. The Tigers should be 2-0 going into conference action next week. UWA leads the series 10-1 with their last game being a 2015 Tigers victory.

FIT scored three times in the first 10 minutes last week and never looked back on the road against Benedict. They got another important win for them and the conference. John McClure had two interceptions for the Panthers including a 48-yard return for touchdown just 1:21 into the game and that certainly set the tone. The defense scored again just a few minutes later forcing a safety followed by a Panthers touchdown drive. The new starter at QB is Trent Chmelik (191 yards and 1 INT) while Antwuan Haynes
The Hawks got woodshedded in their season debut with a new coach at the helm. But, it was to a pretty decent FCS Samford team led by former VSU player and coach Chris Hatcher. The Hatch Attack has settled in nicely for the Bulldogs and that was a tall task to take on for Shorter in their first matchup. It was their 29th consecutive loss. Tyler Pullum passed for 138 yards and a TD while Jerry FlemingK.J. Parmer to close out the victory over Catawba. Willie CandlerDevontae Jackson added in 95 yards and a score on the ground.

Limestone opened up at FCS Gardner-Webb and matched up pretty well on the stat sheet in yardage categories but it was lop-sided on the scoreboard. The Saints are going to need all the yards they can get this week to pull of an upset in this one. Look for corrections in the kicking game and penalties by the Wolves for a more efficient outing this week in Carrollton. This is the first-ever meeting between the two schools.

Elijah Rogers was named GSC Defensive Player of the Week and Jaylan Hassell was named GSC Freshman of the Week. Rogers had 8 solo tackles and 2 interceptions while Hassell led the team with 9 total tackles. On offense, their transfer quarterback had a day. Detric Hawthorn
The Crusaders also had me worried last week. They were the first GSC team to score this season but could only muster two field goals more in the contest. Yet, it was enough to get the road win. Will Hunter passed for 179 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT while the North Greenville struggled to establish a running game. NGU mustered just 26 rushing yards against Tusculum. Matthew Thomas
The Blazers jumped to an impressive start last week and I see no reason that changes this Saturday. VSU dominated the first half outgaining Albany State 285-25 in total offense and leading 28-0. Rogan Wells passed for 176 yards and three scores while Jamar Thompkins had 128 yards on 7 rushes and a touchdown. Five different Blazers got a sack in the game as Taurus Dotson and Ravarius RiversTaylor Crabtree field goals and a late rushing score by Kelon Wilson. Breck Ruddick passed for 180 yards while Ovenson Cledanord and Chandler Ector both contributed 8 total tackles.

Grand Valley State took care of business in their home opener against Indianapolis after having lost to the Greyhounds early last season. They had a balanced offensive attack and stingy defense in their first win allowing Indy just 215 total yards of offense. The Statesmen will need to have their best game to have a chance in this one. The only time the two schools have met was a win by the Lakers in the 2006 national semifinals.

Sam Vaughn, a graduate transfer from Georgia, and used the reliable leg of GSC Special Teams Player of the Week Austin Williams to get the victory. Vaughn passed for 218 yards and 1 TD. The Argos trailed at the half but shut out the Eagles split-veer option attack in the second half while Gavin Burford anchored the defensive effort with 13 total tackles in the game.

Andy Davis has followed GSC sports since 1985 and proudly covered the conference for D2Football.com since 2014. He is a past contributor to the D2 Football Preview, TimesDaily, and Franklin County Times as well as having appeared on ESPN Pensacola radio. Follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

Enjoy this content? I enjoy coffee!! Support my blog via Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Y8Y7HIC3