(Photo Courtesy UWG Athletics)
Jacob Murphree took the helm at quarterback, passing for 88 yards and gettiing sacked four times. The lack of offensive production was telling just by looking at one stat category. The Tigers were just 1-of-13 on 3rd Down last week. Defensively, West Alabama had a better showing as Undraez Lilly led the team with eight total tackles while Charles Bester snagged an interception.

I was really proud of Shorter this past week. Marked improvement and against a highly-ranked team! The Hawks scored 27 points against West Georgia, the most they have put on the board all season, after gaining 333 yards of total offense. QB Tyler Pullum passed for 183 yards, two scores, and an interception. The Hawks were 50% (9-for-18) on 3rd Down and converted their only 4th Down attempt. Defensively, Shorter was led by Nehemiah Reddis who contributed 11 total tackles in the game.

Satterwhite is listed as the backup this week. This is either going to be just what the doctored ordered for the Tigers or their worst nightmare. Will this be the game that snaps the 33-game losing streak for Shorter?

My Pick: UWA by 7

The Statesmen showed fight against UWF last week but find themselves at 0-5 for the first time since 1997, when they lost their first seven contests of the season. They are a young squad and put together a good first half but three interceptions by the Argos was too much to overcome. Patrick Shegog tallied 219 yards passing and 64 yards on the ground with Jake McDonald being his favorite target. McDonald finished the game with seven receptions for 81 yards and a score. Tramond Lofton added another sack to his team-high sacks total of 3.5 on the season while the Statesmen defense recorded 10 pass breakups in the game. David Herrington led the game, defensively, with 13 total tackles.

Valdosta State exploded with 35 points in the 2nd Quarter last week to seal the win early. However, the defense gave up a lot to MC as penalties plagued the Blazers for the first time this season. Once again, quarterback Rogan WellsJamar Thomas made it the fourth straight week a Blazer has been named GSC Freshman of the Week. He ran for 180 yards (the most for a single game this season in the GSC) on just eight attempts while scoring twice. Guito Ervilus led the defense with 11 total tackles.

The two schools always play each other close no matter what the records are or who comprises the coaching staff or team. That said, I just think VSU has too much talent to lose this one at home.

My Pick: VSU 20

The Crusaders did what they had to do. They put together a drive and won the game on a touchdown with 14 seconds left to play and did so with their backup quarterback. Donnie Baker came in during the 2nd Quarter and finished out the game passing for 162 yards. Lucas Catalfomo led all receivers with 108 yards while EJ Humphrey contributed 94 yards and a score on the ground. The defense was a key factor in the win as NGU held West Alabama to less than 225 yards of total offense last week. Dominique Hunt led the charge with eight total tackles.

Devontae JacksonWillie Candler passed for 213 yards and three touchdowns while receiver Malik Henry had five catches for 72 yards and a score along with returning a punt for a touchdown. Defensively, Steve Osondu My Pick: UWG by 17

The Choctaws had a great offensive showing at home tallying 515 yards. However, losing the 2nd Quarter 35-14 was the difference in the game. Mississippi College racked up the most yards they have since 2016 assisted with a strong showing of 451 yards on the ground. QB Detric Hawthorn ran for 131 yards and two touchdowns while running back racked up 147 yards rushing and two scores of his own. Anchoring the defense was Turner RotenberryRomell GuerrierJ.T. HassellMy Pick: FIT by 7

Sam Vaughn played well and tossed three scoring passes, it was the ground game that woke UWF up after the break. The Argos tallied 268 yards (a new school record) on the ground as running back Chris SchwarzMarvin Conley contributed 7 solo tackles and one interception while Andre Duncombe had 9 total tackles, 2.5 TFL, an interception, and a forced fumble and recovery. Like clockwork, kicker Austin WilliamsMy Pick: UNA by 4

Andy Davis has followed GSC sports since 1985 and proudly covered the conference for D2Football.com since 2014. He is a past contributor to the D2 Football Preview, TimesDaily, and Franklin County Times as well as having appeared on ESPN Pensacola radio. Follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

Enjoy this content? I enjoy coffee!! Support my blog via Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Y8Y7HIC3