(Photo Courtesy Live Science)

As Hurricane Michael approached and slammed into the panhandle of Florida, it seemed the eyes of America were either watching news segments from this area in their local coverage with updates on the storm or going full time to the Weather Channel team of sensationalists.

When these things start to happen, I tell my mom to turn off the Cantore Channel! We laugh but even Santa Rosa County, Florida decided to publicize their own feelings on the matter, in jest, as they issued a Trespass Warning to Jim CantoreHawks fly to North GreenvilleTyler Pullum has passed for 889 yards and six touchdowns. He has three receiving targets with over 100 yards each as Coey Watson leads them with 181 yards and a score. At the helm of the SU defense is Nehemiah Reddish with 51 total tackles.

North Greenville was doing well and then ran into a buzz saw last week. Lucas Catalfomo leads their receiving corps with 334 yards and three touchdowns being the favorite target of Will Hunter. He has passed for 945 yards and eight scores so far this season. Their defensive unit is led by Dominique HuntMy Pick: Crusaders by 20

A battle of the Old GuardPatrick Shegog has passed for 947 yards and four scores while spreading the wealth to multiple receivers including Tyler Harrell (20 rec, 284 yds, 1 TD). Kelon Wilson is their top back with 349 yards on the ground and three touchdowns. The Statesmen defensive standout is Ovenson Cledanord with 46 total tackles, 3.4 tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks.

The Tigers came alive last week and a win this week will put them right back in the hunt for the conference title and playoffs. Harry Satterwhite was back on the field and looking good. He has tallied 1,262 yards this season with 12 touchdown passes and one of his favorite targets is Bayley Blanchard. He has 27 receptions for 318 yards and four scores. Defensively is where the Tigers have been focusing more to rehabilitate this season. Tavarius Hutchinson leads that unit with 44 total tackles and 2.0 TFL while Nicarius Peterson has three interceptions.

If DSU can find a way to pull these young guys together and play two full halves of football, this will be a good game. If not, Tigers run away in the second half.

My Pick: Tigers by 17

Choctaws take their options to FlorenceDetric Hawthorn leads the league with 97.2 rushing ypg and has five rushing touchdowns. On defense for MC, his twin brother Derric Hawthorn leads the team with 25 tackles in addition to his two pass breakups and forced fumble.

North Alabama is led by Christian Lopez, who has thrown for 1,207 yards with seven scores and just one interception while Damon Cox has rushed for 486 yards and two touchdowns so far this season. Christon Taylor leads the Lions defensive unit tallying 42 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and recoveries. Another point of note for UNA is that kicker Chandlr CarreraMy Pick: Lions by 10

The Big Time by the bayWillie Candler has passed for 1,371 yards and 15 touchdowns while five different receivers have over 100 yards thus far. Devontae Jackson leads the team in rushing with 570 yards and six scores while Montrell PardueSam VaughnChris Schwarz continues to be the work horse on the ground but has broken out lately by pounding 278 rushing yards in just the past two games. Gavin Burford is the leader of the UWF defense with 48 total tackles, 4.0 TFL, 1.5 sacks, and a pass breakup.

I think UWF will need to play their best football of the season to win this one if both teams play well But, if the Wolves make any mistakes like racking up a ton of penalties, this will be a very winnable game for the Argos.

My Pick: West Georgia by 1

GSC Players of the Week Battle

J.T. Hassell and Rogan Wells have both earned conference honors at least three times this season, including this past week. This game with feature the GSC Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week facing off head-to-head as Florida Tech hosts Valdosta State.

Hassell earned this honor for the third time this year after recording 20 total tackles (15 solo) along with a forced fumble and pass breakup. He is just the 10th player in league history to record at least 20 tackles in a game. The last was Chris Pope of VSU in 2013. Antwuan Haynes was nominated for the offensive category this past week and has 412 yards and three scores this season. Trent Chmelik has been steady at quarterback passing for 1,278 yards and nine touchdowns while his favorite target, Romell GuerrierAndrew Gray was named Special Teams Player of the Week (1 FG, 8 XP) while Freshman of the Week Michael Henderson returned five kicks for a total of 124 yards. The fifth Valdosta freshman to win the honor in consecutive weeks, he ranks second in the league with 27.3 ypr.

Will the Tech defense be able to contain the red hot Blazers offensive attack? This contest has all the makings for a great game but I just feel VSU has the upper hand even on the road.

My Pick: Blazers by 14

Andy Davis has followed GSC sports since 1985 and proudly covered the conference for D2Football.com since 2014. He is a past contributor to the D2 Football Preview, TimesDaily, and Franklin County Times as well as having appeared on ESPN Pensacola radio. Follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

Enjoy this content? I enjoy coffee!! Support my blog via Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Y8Y7HIC3