Around the Region

Speaking of the postseason, the first set of regional rankings will drop early next week and there are are a few teams that will contend with GSC squads for the top rankings on the initial release.

In the SAC, Lenoir-RhyneCarson-Newman and Tusculum. All three schools have played GSC teams this year with UWF beating the Eagles in the first week while the Pioneers were 1-1, losing to North Greenville and beating Shorter. Carson-Newman still has to play both of the others.

In the SIAC, Morehouse was leading the way but got thumped pretty good by Albany State last week. They will face off this week against the only other team from that conference still in the playoff conversation, BenedictVirginia Union and Bowie State in the Northern Division and Fayetteville StateMake or Break for the Tigers

West Alabama will ride up I-20 to Carrollton and play for their lives. The Tigers need a win against the undefeated Wolves in order to stay in the conference and playoff conversation. A win by West Georgia, quite possibly ends one or both of those hopes for UWA.

The Wolves need to be woke after such a big win on the road last week and a hungry squad coming to town this week. The Tigers will need to play near perfect football and utilize their biggest assets (literally) such as Qua Boyd. But, it will be the UWA defense that will have the tallest task. Trying to contain Devontae JacksonMy Pick: UWG by 14

A Red Carpet AffairWill HunterRogan WellsMy Pick: VSU by 21

Choctaws invade Rome!Detric Hawthorn is tough and even showed off his arm last week. The Hawks, former option aficionados, have Tyler Pullum spreading the ball around pretty well through the air these past few weeks. Like the Choctaws, Shorter is often on the losing end of adverse situations like turnovers and drive-stalling penalties. Which defense will show up and do the best job in this one?

Unless Shorter can put it in the endzone multiple times in this contest, I expect MC to have the advantage even on the road. This is the GSC Game of the Week and will broadcast on ESPN3.com and the Watch ESPN app.

My Pick: MC by 17

Hangover or Rebound?Sam VaughnJ.T. HassellMy Pick: UWF by 3

Andy Davis has followed GSC sports since 1985 and proudly covered the conference for D2Football.com since 2014. He is a past contributor to the D2 Football Preview, TimesDaily, and Franklin County Times as well as having appeared on ESPN Pensacola radio. Follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

Enjoy this content? I enjoy coffee!! Support my blog via Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Y8Y7HIC3