Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alumnifan
    replied
    Re: 2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Look, in all honesty, my desire is for Happy Osborne to be successful at KWC. He has been successful as a college coach and as a high school coach in Kentucky. It is not easy to win 28 games in one season. Wesleyan's home court advantage has been highly successful in the past two years.

It's no secret that Happy's defensive scheme is the same as Rick Pitino's. It's a good strategy that can win a lot of games. However, when a team plays defense like that against most teams with the same talent that plays tough man to man defense, it's going to be harder to win.

Overplaying the basketball on defense will score a lot of points off of turnovers, but at times this season Wesleyan turned the ball over a lot as well. I dislike half court defense if that's all a team plays.

Next year's team will determine Happy's tenure. He is pretty stubborn, but he is not Napoleon. KWC determines it's success in basketball in the post season. Winning back to back G-MAC titles is great. It will not be that easy next year.

Happy recruited Sam Williams. Sam Williams is a very good D2 player, but don't think for a minute that the administration and supporters of the program were happy with the way the season ended.

Leave a comment:

• DUPanther
    replied

Originally posted by Purplebuckeye View Post
    Both programs have had better coaches in the past. U think u guys will go D1 in the next 10 years?? ie northern ky
    For that to be a possibility with any success, USI would need a new AD. Look at SIU-E to see how that move goes if you don't have really good coaches. Their past D2 men's basketball teams would've beaten this year's D1 team by 30 minimum.

Leave a comment:

• DJ Silky Panties
    replied

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
    Winning in NAIA has been Happy's biggest problem and here is why. He had great talent at Georgetown and the talent was enough to overcome his lack of Xs and Os. He hasn't adjusted well to D II at all.

Wod has not won a championship at any level and won't in the future. He is like most of modern day politicians....low energy and no original ideas, but can talk enough smack to trick the sheep.
    need to have KWC v USI play next fall in the Has Been Classic ( Sloppy vs Low E WoD). Special halftime Arm wrastling battle royale featuring JMH vs Junior Mallory, winner can keep himself from being declared weakest AD in d2.

Leave a comment:

• bkingbroker
    replied

Winning in NAIA has been Happy's biggest problem and here is why. He had great talent at Georgetown and the talent was enough to overcome his lack of Xs and Os. He hasn't adjusted well to D II at all.

Wod has not won a championship at any level and won't in the future. He is like most of modern day politicians....low energy and no original ideas, but can talk enough smack to trick the sheep.

You guys always make that claim, and you maybe right, but Happy did win a national championship on the NAIA level at Georgetown as a head coach. Has Watson on a championship at any level as a head coach?? I couldn't find any evidence

Leave a comment:

• Purplebuckeye
    replied

Originally posted by glvcpro View Post
    I agree one can not determine who the worst coach is. I do not see USI moving to D1 with current admin and current financial limitations. Less importance has been placed on athletics.... as if no one could notice.
    A better question may be which will happen first, USI to D1, or UE back to D2??

Leave a comment:

• glvcpro
    replied

Both programs have had better coaches in the past. U think u guys will go D1 in the next 10 years?? ie northern ky
    I agree one can not determine who the worst coach is. I do not see USI moving to D1 with current admin and current financial limitations. Less importance has been placed on athletics.... as if no one could notice.

Leave a comment:

• Purplebuckeye
    replied

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
    WoD won a couple of mini tourney titles he will tell you so will JMH. Have you been to the PAC they have the banners hanging to prove it It's even in bold print in the media guide you must need glasses

Leave a comment:

• DJ Silky Panties
    replied

You guys always make that claim, and you maybe right, but Happy did win a national championship on the NAIA level at Georgetown as a head coach. Has Watson on a championship at any level as a head coach?? I couldn't find any evidence
    WoD won a couple of mini tourney titles he will tell you so will JMH. Have you been to the PAC they have the banners hanging to prove it It's even in bold print in the media guide you must need glasses

Leave a comment:

• kwcpantherfan
    replied

Happy is also a champion for the program in the community, speaks humbly to the news media, gives his players the credit for the good things while taking the blame on himself when things go wrong (even if valid blame could be placed elsewhere), etc. Meanwhile nobody in Evansville even knows who Rod is, he gets combative with the media when they ask him difficult questions, and quickly throws others under the bus whenever possible.

Leave a comment:

• Purplebuckeye
    replied

Originally posted by Eagles04 View Post
    And the as bad as Wod is....he's still head and shoulders above Happy!

Leave a comment:

• Eagles04
    replied

And the as bad as Wod is....he's still head and shoulders above Happy!

Leave a comment:

• glvcpro
    replied

I thought USI was just as talented
    One of the more talented teams under wod but I still would not say as talented as top teams. You can have all the talent in the world but if you ain't got a coach to utilize it it doesn't mean squat.

Leave a comment:

• bkingbroker
    replied

It depends on what you define as talent level. Fairmont State was considerably more talented than any team in the Midwest Region. Northwest had talent, was well coached and the smartest basketball team, thus why they cut the nets down.

K Dub and USI have problems starting with coaching. Team basketball will trump individual talent. This year proved we are both quite a bit away from being where we want to be. Next year will likely be more of the same.

After watching the elite 8, I concluded that KWC talent level this year was close to the top teams this year. The difference I believe is not all the players buying in on what the coaches were selling, defense/rebounding etc. Would anyone care to comment?

Leave a comment:

• DJ Silky Panties
    replied

I thought our PG was a huge problem, many times I saw him wave off the head coach, disrespectful. I noticed at the elite 8, to your point, a lot more movement on offense, crisp cuts, just more attentive than what I remember with the Panthers. I thought the Derksen kid was a negative for team chemistry
    Sloppy is good at getting the best ingredients. He just can't read the measuring cup, know how to use the mixer, or turn on the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Purplebuckeye
    replied

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
    I think the Wesleyan team was as skilled as any. I do not believe the coaches ever learned how to use the players. Because of out skill and size we won many games. The staff spend lots of time with one on one teaching but not enough time running plays and making the players pass and pass and pass before shooting.

We did not make teams play hard on defense thus they were not tired and could shoot threes. We rebounded well and cut off passing lanes but gave up too many threes.

Our point guard hit a total slump which cost us big time. Our back up point guard can run a team but only if we run plays and he knows what to expect to happen.
    I thought our PG was a huge problem, many times I saw him wave off the head coach, disrespectful. I noticed at the elite 8, to your point, a lot more movement on offense, crisp cuts, just more attentive than what I remember with the Panthers. I thought the Derksen kid was a negative for team chemistry

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X