Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crixus View Post

What about native tribes that are OK with a University using their name, like the Seminoles and Florida State or the Chippewas and Central Michigan. Is that allowed in Minnesota?
    Only if they get every tribe/reservation in the state to agree. Since there are 11 different tribes, the chance of this happening is zero.

If they make Nicollet change from the Raiders I'm going to St Paul and blow out some eardrums. Neither Raiders nor Warriors is unique to natives. They wanted the Pipestone Arrows to change too, but that must have fallen through. Red Lake is the Warriors- and that is a school on a reservation.

MSHSL list of school mascots and logos with ties to Native American culture - WDIO.com

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Only if they get every tribe/reservation in the state to agree. Since there are 11 different tribes, the chance of this happening is zero.

If they make Nicollet change from the Raiders I'm going to St Paul and blow out some eardrums. Neither Raiders nor Warriors is unique to natives. They wanted the Pipestone Arrows to change too, but that must have fallen through. Red Lake is the Warriors- and that is a school on a reservation.

MSHSL list of school mascots and logos with ties to Native American culture - WDIO.com
      Take it to Judy Justice (formerly Judge Judy). I think you'd do well there. She's crafty, so keep your guard up.

Go Mustangs!

Comment

They just need to tell schools they can no longer have a nickname. Warriors? Raiders? Unless the school is using a Native American mascot or image, these nicknames should be left alone. Braves I can understand. Battle Laker Battlers? Really that needs to change? The only thing they should have to change is the image if it is Native American inspired. What really bothers me is most of the people pushing for these changes are not members of the groups which are supposedly offended by the nicknames.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Years ago Michigan's Lowell High School had a fight over thier nickname, the Red Arrows. People felt this name was offensive and wanted it changed. The nickname comes from the US Army 32nd Infantry Division, which was the Red Arrow Division during WWI and WWII. People want things changed when they don't know the origin because it sounds like it might be offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
            They just need to tell schools they can no longer have a nickname. Warriors? Raiders? Unless the school is using a Native American mascot or image, these nicknames should be left alone. Braves I can understand. Battle Laker Battlers? Really that needs to change? The only thing they should have to change is the image if it is Native American inspired. What really bothers me is most of the people pushing for these changes are not members of the groups which are supposedly offended by the nicknames.
            This. Talked to several natives up at GBB camp at UND in Grand Forks. They had a lot of stories to tell me about changing the nickname from Sioux- and they weren't happy about the change.

St John's NY were the Redmen. Had nothing to do with natives, had to do with the color of their uniforms. Other schools have had the same. But don't look into it, just change for the sake of change.

Remember when some people tried to get Midshipmen in for being pictured in the circle game, claiming it was a racist sign? They never taught HS kids who would play that in class.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

I agree! Think of all the logoed merchandise they would be selling these days.

I remember checking in on this site years ago, when Newberry was changing their mascot, and there was a poster who was repeatedly pushing for the mascot be changed to the 'COBS' (in honor of the area). The whole thread was hilarious.
              Fire Ants or Red Ants was also a Finalist. Lol

Comment

Hopefully they (NGU and the campus store) were able to find a local vendor and start getting some new merch mocked up. Sometimes it takes up to a year to get stuff (just ask Catawba). And hopefully folks are a little more understanding of the name change and don't lose their crap. Heck folks still complain 11 years later about C-N going to University. Don't call it CNU tho! Lol

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X