Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Memorial Scholarship

All,

I felt like this would be a great community to share an event for a great cause. One of my college friends passed away in mid-February from complications related to COVID-19. His death was sudden and unexpected. He was just 27 years old. I met Mike while I was at IUP and we instantly bonded over our love and passion for IUP athletics. There was a group of us, including Mike, that made it our mission to try to help improve student interest for IUP football and basketball while we were on campus. During our junior year, we officially formed the "Crimson Crazies." It was a fun project that allowed us to meet so many people within the university and athletic community. Very few students shared in having the love and enthusiasm for IUP and division 2 athletics than our group did. We were certainly unique in our own way.

We all graduated from IUP in 2015. The Crimson Crazies are technically no more, but we all certainly went out with a bang. Something that really stands out from my senior year was early in IUP's basketball season that year. IUP hosted West Virginia Wesleyan in a non-conference game early that year. I recall sitting with the guys in the KCAC watching the pregame warmup and I said, "I think this might be the year." And man, did I turn out to be right. We all went to the Regional Championship game at West Liberty when IUP won the Atlantic Regional down there. Afterwards, the group of us got a picture with Joe Lombardi on the court after they cut the nets down. Everything about that night, our love of IUP, the thrilling finish to that game, being with friends, etc., remains one of my best memories from college. We all have the picture with Coach Lombardi in our apartments/homes.

IUP lost a tremendous supporter in Mike. There's so few of us that share in this unique interest of small college sports. When we lose one, it's like we lose a family member. We're definitely a small community here. Mike's family has set up a memorial scholarship that will benefit IUP students. For those interested in fitness, they are also doing a memorial 5k and 1 mile walk next month. It will be virtual this year. All proceeds will go towards the scholarship fund.

If you are able, any help would be appreciated to keep Mike's memory alive and hopefully help out a student that maybe shares the same love and passion for IUP.

Scholarship: https://www.michaelhannischolarship.com/

5K Link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/movin-i...?aff=ebdssbeac

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X