Nebraska-Kearney 84, Southwest Baptist 77
    Central Missouri 75, Missouri Western State 59
    Pittsburg State 81, Lincoln (MO) 60

Quarterfinals - Friday, March 2 - Kansas City
    Washburn vs. Nebraska-Kearney
    Missouri Southern State vs. Fort Hays State
    Northwest Missouri State vs. Pittsburg State
    Central Oklahoma vs. Central Missouri
    Last edited by wscsuperfan; 02-28-2018, 12:14 AM.

Re: MIAA Tournament Results

Griffons hadn't won a road game in the MIAA, but become the first No. 12 seed to win in the MIAA tournament.

Comment

Feels weird to see MW, WU and ESU all playing on first day of the ladies tourney.
      Go Hounds!
      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
      Cyclone Power
      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

PSU will play NWMSU 6:00 pm this Fri

Comment

Updated above post with first round men's scores

Comment

Dropped the 10 bucks to watch Pitt State online last night. I've followed them fairly closely through live stats, twitter, etc., but this was the first game I've seen them play.
            And ... it's pretty much what I expected.
            When they're on, they're lethal offensively, but if they're cold, they're doomed. They were down 18-9 and didn't even hit double-digits until less than 7 minutes remained in the first half ... and then still ended up with 81 points.

On the other hand, as I was expecting from their season statistics, they can't seem to guard or rebound for any sustained period of time. They pushed the second-half lead to 17, went cold for a bit and stopped guarding and watched as Lincoln got within 5 points in a flash before waking up and putting the game away.

I'll be in beautiful Municipal Auditorium on Friday, hoping for a miracle against Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Go-Rilla View Post
              Dropped the 10 bucks to watch Pitt State online last night. I've followed them fairly closely through live stats, twitter, etc., but this was the first game I've seen them play.
              And ... it's pretty much what I expected.
              When they're on, they're lethal offensively, but if they're cold, they're doomed. They were down 18-9 and didn't even hit double-digits until less than 7 minutes remained in the first half ... and then still ended up with 81 points.

On the other hand, as I was expecting from their season statistics, they can't seem to guard or rebound for any sustained period of time. They pushed the second-half lead to 17, went cold for a bit and stopped guarding and watched as Lincoln got within 5 points in a flash before waking up and putting the game away.

I'll be in beautiful Municipal Auditorium on Friday, hoping for a miracle against Northwest.
              I think your observations are spot on, except that I will say it won't take a miracle to beat Northwest, and here's why.

First, for the Gorillas, you have five D1 transfers and I've seen them play several games - the talent is definitely there. And they have a veteran coach quite capable of putting together a game plan against Northwest. No need to go on - those are the key points for why I think the Gorillas have a decent chance Friday.

Second, your opponent, the Bearcats, don't seem as invincible as last year, and their two best players are hobbled a bit by injuries. If not for those two injuries, I would say IMO they are a little deeper than last year.

I don't see the Bearcats going 6-0 in the next two weeks. Just a prediction, but not going too far out on a limb given the quality of opponents now lined up to face them.

No disrespect intended for Northwest Missouri. They've earned all of the respect everyone gives them now.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                I think your observations are spot on, except that I will say it won't take a miracle to beat Northwest, and here's why.

First, for the Gorillas, you have five D1 transfers and I've seen them play several games - the talent is definitely there. And they have a veteran coach quite capable of putting together a game plan against Northwest. No need to go on - those are the key points for why I think the Gorillas have a decent chance Friday.

Second, your opponent, the Bearcats, don't seem as invincible as last year, and their two best players are hobbled a bit by injuries. If not for those two injuries, I would say IMO they are a little deeper than last year.

I don't see the Bearcats going 6-0 in the next two weeks. Just a prediction, but not going too far out on a limb given the quality of opponents now lined up to face them.

No disrespect intended for Northwest Missouri. They've earned all of the respect everyone gives them now.
                That and the fact that Bakersfield in 1994 is the only defending champion to repeat since Ky Wesleyan in 1969. Repeating is obviously harder than winning the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                  That and the fact that Bakersfield in 1994 is the only defending champion to repeat since Ky Wesleyan in 1969. Repeating is obviously harder than winning the first time.
                  So is consecutive MIAA basketball championships...just sayin'.
                  Go Hounds!
                  B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                  Cyclone Power
                  ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Technically you are correct, but the degree of difficulty is no where close.

Undesputed (no ties) MIAA repeat champions since 1969:

SW Missouri 1974
                    SE Missouri 1983 & 1989
                    Washburn 1993, 1994 & 2004
                    Baptist 2009
                    Northwest 2016, 2017 & 2018

If you throw shared titles into the mix CentralMO & Washburn have 5 repeats, Northwest & Southeast have 4, Southwest has 3, Baptist & Western have 1.

Comment

My point was not to disrespect Northwest, far from it (I'm still scratching my head that they lost to Southern twice). My point was it's hard to repeat as national champions so it's not "going out on a limb" to predict they don't repeat. Both of CentralMo's national championship teams were Junior heavy. Neither team made the regional finals as Seniors.

Comment

My point was not to disrespect Northwest, far from it (I'm still scratching my head that they lost to Southern twice). My point was it's hard to repeat as national champions so it's not "going out on a limb" to predict they don't repeat. Both of CentralMo's national championship teams were Junior heavy. Neither team made the regional finals as Seniors.
                        Agreed. But that's what's so great about it because its still possible both ways.

Comment

Didn't take it is a sign of disrepect. Pointing out that a 5-time conference consecutive champion in the MIAA was as hard to accomplish in basketball, but it did happen this year. I forgot to put the "5" in which is my bad.
                          Go Hounds!
                          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                          Cyclone Power
                          ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Technically you are correct, but the degree of difficulty is no where close.

Undesputed (no ties) MIAA repeat champions since 1969:

SW Missouri 1974
                            SE Missouri 1983 & 1989
                            Washburn 1993, 1994 & 2004
                            Baptist 2009
                            Northwest 2016, 2017 & 2018

If you throw shared titles into the mix CentralMO & Washburn have 5 repeats, Northwest & Southeast have 4, Southwest has 3, Baptist & Western have 1.
                            NW is on a current 5 year streak with shared titles.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                              NW is on a current 5 year streak with shared titles.
                              Last 4 titles were outright.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X