X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne State 2018-19 Thread

Wayne State Holds off Pittsburg State 95-92
    www.wscwildcats.com

Wayne State's well balanced and high-powered offense helped hold off Pittsburg State on Friday night in Warrensburg, Missouri in the opening game of the Central Region Tipoff Classic. The Wildcats move to 1-0 on the year, moving head coach Jeff Kaminsky to 2-1 in season-openers at the helm of the Wildcats.

The Wildcats got off to a quick start from the hands of Vance Janssen, scoring the first three points of the 2018-19 season in the opening possession. Four points from freshman Jordan Janssen, sandwiched by a V. Janssen jumper and a Trevin Joseph Jr. trey gave the Wildcats an early 12-5 lead.

The Gorillas took their first lead with 13:03 left in the first half, before the Wildcats went on a scoring run of 25-8 in a 7:06 span. Wayne State shot 66.7 (10-15) from the field in that span, including 3-4 from behind the arc. Tony Bonner provided eight of those points while Joseph's six helped increase the lead to 41-25.

Pittsburg State slowly chipped at the lead to close on the half, willing their way to a 13-2 run to match and close the gap within five. Trading buckets, the two sides went into the break with Wayne State leading 51-45.

Joseph paced the Wildcats with 12 points in the first half. Bonner joined in double-digit scoring, adding 10 points on 5-7 shooting. The Wildcats shot 58.8% from the field (20-34) and hit 7-13 from the trey (53.8%). The Wildcats out-rebounded the Gorillas by an 18-12 margin, along with a 21-3 advantage in points off the bench.

Despite the hot shooting of Pittsburg State, Wayne State answered and kept a lead of two possessions until the 8:20 mark. Five straight points from senior Kendall Jacks increased their lead to 76-69 before the Gorillas scored seven straight to tie the game at 76-76 with 6:26 remaining.

Wayne State didn't trail or remain tied the rest of the way, using a 10-1 run to increase their advantage to 86-77 at the 4:00 minute mark. Pittsburg State used a late surge to get within one possession but fell short as the Wildcats free throws down the stretch proved enough to squeak by in a highly contested game.

Joseph scored a team-high 23 points in the contest, one of five players for Wayne State to end the night in double-digits. Vance Janssen added 19 points along with Jacks (12), Nick Ferrarini (10) and Bonner (10). Joseph also paced the Wildcats with four assists while newcomer Al'Tavius Jackson recorded nine rebounds in his first game in a Wayne State jersey.

Wayne State shot 35-60 (58.3%) from the field and 11-21 (52.4%) from beyond the arc. The Wildcats dominated the glass with a 38-27 advantage in rebounds. Wayne State's bench outscored Pittsburg State 30-12 as the Wildcats led for 36:03 minutes.

Wayne State takes on Central Missouri on Saturday evening in Warrensburg, Missouri. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Re: Wayne State 2018-19 Thread

Norling's Career-High 21 leads Wildcats in 75-58 Opening Night Win over Northwest Missouri State
    www.wscwildcats.com

Wayne State had four players score in double figures, led by sophomore Erin Norling's career-high 21 points, as the Wildcats topped Northwest Missouri State 75-58 Friday evening in the MIAA/NSIC Crossover held at Rice Auditorium in Wayne. WSC is 1-0 on the season, winning head coach Brent Pollari's debut, while NMSU drops to 0-1.

The first quarter featured seven lead changes and one tie between the two clubs. A Halley Busse 3-pointer gave WSC the lead for good at 13-12 with 3:54 to go first quarter. Norling had nine of the 17 points for WSC in the first quarter.

The game remained close until WSC closed the first half with a strong run to take a 40-26 lead at intermission.

With WSC leading 28-22 with 4:04 to play in the half, the 'Cats used back-to-back layups from senior forward Taylor Reiner to take their first double digit lead of the night at 32-22. Haley Vesey drained four free throws and baskets by Andrea Larson and Halley Busse to end the half gave WSC a 14-point lead at intermission.

Wayne State maintained a double figure lead in the second half, pushing the lead to 21 a couple times in the third quarter before ending the quarter with a 61-44 advantage.

The Wildcats used baskets from Vesey to take their biggest leads of the night at 22 points, 68-46 and 70-48 with nearly 7:00 left in the game, and the Wildcats ended with a 75-58 victory.

Norling led Wayne State in scoring with her career-high 21-point effort, going 10 of 20 from the field and 1 for 2 at the charity stripe. Vesey came off the bench to score 14 followed by Busse with 11 and Larson 10.

Wayne State ended the game making 29 of 65 shots for 44.6 percent, going 5 of 16 behind the arc and 12 for 19 (63.2%) at the free throw line.

For Northwest Missouri State, Kendey Eaton scored 17 points with Jaelyn Haggard and Mallory McConkey reaching double figures with 16 and 12.

The Bearcats made 21 of 53 shots for 39.6 percent, including 7 for 18 from the 3-point line. NMSU was 9 of 11 at the free throw line.

Wayne State held a sizeable 44-28 advantage in rebounding thank to eight boards from Vesey and seven by Norling, which led to a 23-7 edge in second chance points.

The 'Cats had 14 steals, led by Larson and Norling with four thefts apiece. Norling also had a team-high five assists. Taylor Reiner had three blocked shots for the Wildcats.

The Wildcats will be in action again Saturday hosting Nebraska-Kearney at 5:30 p.m. in the final game of the MIAA/NSIC Crossover at Rice Auditorium.

Comment

Second Half Rally Lifts Central Missouri in 73-67 win over Wildcats
      www.wscwildcats.com

Central Missouri outscored Wayne State 42-31 in the second half to overcome 60 percent shooting by the Wildcats in the first half, giving the Mules a 73-67 victory Saturday evening at the Central Region Men's Basketball Tip Off Classic in Warrensburg, Missouri. The host Mules are now 2-0 on the year with WSC at 1-1.

The Wildcats used 60 percent shooting in the first half to take the lead on the host Mules.

Down 6-5 early, WSC went on an 11-0 run over a span of 3:25 and took a 23-8 lead on a pair of Nick Ferrarini free throws at the 12:27 mark.

Central Missouri cut the Wildcat lead to 25-16, but WSC scored eight of the next 10 points and took another 15-point lead at 33-18 on a Ferrarini jumper with 5:01 to play before halftime.

The Mules closed the first half on a 13-3 run, reducing Wayne State's lead to 36-31 at intermission.

WSC got off to a strong start in the second half, taking a 43-32 lead on a Kendall Jacks jumper with 17:05 to play.

Central Missouri followed with a 15-2 run over the next six minutes and turned an 11-point deficit into a 47-45 lead.

The two teams traded several leads with Wayne State taking their final lead at 52-51 on a Tony Bonner free throw with 7:51 to play.

The Mules took the lead for good scoring the next five points for a 56-52 advantage.

UCM pushed the advantage to six at 62-56, but WSC used a pair of Vance Janssen free throws and a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to one at 62-61 with 4:04 left.

Central Missouri then held WSC to just one field goal over the next 3:30 and took a 69-63 lead and the Mules went on to finish with a 73-67 win.

Trevin Joseph led WSC in scoring with a game-high 20 points on 7 of 12 shooting. Kendall Jacks contributed 17 points on 7 of 13 shooting with senior guard Vance Janssen also hitting double figures with 10.

Wayne State ended the game making 24 of 52 from the field for 46.2 percent after starting the game going 14 of 23 (60.9%) in the first half. The Wildcats made 7 of 24 behind the arc and 12 for 16 (75%) at the free throw line.

Blake Spellman and Jafar Kinsey scored 16 points each to lead Central Missouri with Jakob Lawrence scoring 12.

The Mules shot 49 percent from the field, making 25 of 51 shots. UCM was 9 of 21 from the 3-point line and 14-15 at the charity stripe.

Central Missouri held a 28-26 advantage in rebounds over WSC with Vance Janssen grabbing seven boards to lead the Wildcats. Janssen also had five of Wayne State's 12 assists.

Wayne State will play their home opener on Tuesday at 7 p.m. hosting Waldorf University from Iowa.

Comment

Wildcats shut down Lopers in second half for 69-52 women's basketball win
        www.wscwildcats.com

Wayne State outscored Nebraska-Kearney 41-25 in the second half, holding the Lopers to just 8 of 28 shooting, as the Wildcats posted a 69-52 win to close out the MIAA/NSIC Crossover Women's Basketball Tournament played at Rice Auditorium in Wayne. WSC improved to 127-13 over the last 10 seasons in Rice Auditorium and is now 2-0 on the season while UNK falls to 0-2.

With the score tied at 6-6 with just over 3:00 to play in the first quarter, WSC went on a 10-2 run that was fueled by eight straight points from Haley Vesey off the bench to put the 'Cats in front 16-9 before finishing the first quarter with a 16-12 lead.

UNK opened the second quarter with a 8-2 run and took the lead at 20-18. The 'Cats came back with a scoring surge and led 28-24 following a Kylie Hammer layup before ending the half with a 28-27 lead.

Most of the third quarter remained close until WSC put together a late scoring surge to take the lead for good.

The game's eighth and final tie came at 35-35 with 4:08 to go third quarter. WSC closed the quarter with treys from Hammer, Andrea Larson and Halley Busse to take a 48-41 lead entering the fourth quarter.

A three-point play from Busse gave WSC their first double digit lead of the night at 55-43 with 2:29 to play and the Wildcats extended the lead making 17 of 19 free throws late in the game to post a 69-52 win.

Busse posted a game-high 17 points to go with six rebounds, six assists and four steals to pace the Wildcats. Maggie Lowe and Andrea Larson also hit double digits with 11 points apiece.

Wayne State was 18 of 49 shooting for the game for 36.7 percent, going 5 of 16 behind the arc (31.3%) and 28 of 33 from the charity stripe (84.8%).

For Nebraska-Kearney, Megan Holt scored nine points followed by Brooke Carlson with seven.

The Lopers were 18 for 53 shooting for 34 percent, including 8 of 28 from the 3-point line and 8 of 14 at the free throw line.

UNK held a slight 35-34 advantage in rebounding over WSC. Erin Norling grabbed nine boards for the 'Cats with Busse and Taylor Wangerin each grabbing six. Busse had six of Wayne State's 15 asssists and four of the team's 15 steals.

The Wildcats resume play next weekend at the Subway Classic in Quincy, Illinois battling Truman State Friday at 5 p.m. and host Quincy University Saturday in a 3 p.m. contest.

Comment

WSC men looked really good against Nebraska-Kearney tonight

Wildcats improve to 5-1 with 87-58 trouncing of Nebraska-Kearney
          www.wscwildcats.com

Five players posted double figure scoring that included freshman forward Jordan Janssen's second double-double in three games as Wayne State College trounced Nebraska-Kearney 87-58 in non-conference men's basketball played Tuesday evening at Rice Auditorium in Wayne. WSC is now 5-1 on the year while the Lopers fall to 3-3 on the year.

The visiting Lopers played with the Wildcats until the midway point of the first half when WSC went on a big scoring run to take control of the game.

UNK took an early 8-3 lead on the Wildcats. After WSC got within one at 10-9, UNK built a pair of four point leads with the final one coming at 18-14 following a Henry Penner 3-pointer at the 12:16 mark.

WSC then scored the next seven points to take the lead for good at 21-18 following back-to-back buckets from Tony Bonner.

After UNK got within one at 21-20, WSC went on a 20-0 run over the next 5:56 to take control of the game with a 41-20 lead before finishing the first half with a 45-29 lead.

The Lopers came out strong early in the second half, getting as close as 10 at 51-41 with 15:11 to play.

Wayne State then put the game out of reach taking a 65-45 lead on a Nick Ferrarini 3-pointer with 8:40 to play and pushed the lead to as many as 31 in the final three minutes before ending with a 87-58 victory.

WSC made 33 of 67 shots from the field for 49.3 percent, but was just 4 of 18 behind the arc. The Wildcats were 17 for 20 (85%) at the free throw line.

Senior guard Vance Janssen paced five Wildcats in double figures with 17 points. Freshman forward Jordan Janssen notched his second double-double in three games with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Senior guard Kendall Jacks accounted for 13 points, freshman forward Nick Ferrarini scored 12 and junior reserve center Tony Bonner scored 10.

UNK shot 37.3 percent from the field making 22 of 59 shots. The Lopers were 4 of 18 from the 3-point line and 10 of 15 at the charity stripe.

Kanon Koster scored 16 points for the Lopers with AJ Jackson also hitting double figures on 15 points.

WSC had one more rebound than UNK 39-38. Jordan Janssen hauled in 10 caroms for the Wildcats followed by Trevin Joseph and Ben Dentlinger with six apiece.

The Wildcats had just seven turnovers in the game while forcing 18 on UNK. Dentlinger had five of Wayne State's nine blocked shots while Al'Tavius Jackson led WSC with three steals.

Wayne State will open Northern Sun Conference play Saturday evening with a 5:30 p.m. contest at Augustana.

Comment

Wow , I can not believe
            seeing the men play so well. The kids Coach has brought into Wayne are very exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by wsc94 View Post
              Wow , I can not believe
              seeing the men play so well. The kids Coach has brought into Wayne are very exciting.
              Agree......anxious to see how they fare against Augie

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                Agree......anxious to see how they fare against Augie
                And they fared well :)

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                  And they fared well :)
                  Big test this upcoming weekend. The victory at Augie showed that this team can hold their composure on the road, on a night where they didn't shoot very well. I know this wasn't the Augie juggernaut of a few years ago, but it was still a good road win.

This weekend will be another tough road test. I'd take a split. Of course, if we win at Upper Iowa on Friday I still absolutely want the Saturday game as well. Oddly enough, Wayne has had far more success against Winona in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post
                    Big test this upcoming weekend. The victory at Augie showed that this team can hold their composure on the road, on a night where they didn't shoot very well. I know this wasn't the Augie juggernaut of a few years ago, but it was still a good road win.

This weekend will be another tough road test. I'd take a split. Of course, if we win at Upper Iowa on Friday I still absolutely want the Saturday game as well. Oddly enough, Wayne has had far more success against Winona in recent years.
                    It's kind of incredible to think how far this team can go now. Last fall/spring I read the new recruits exploits. They are always puffed up but when i saw these recruits played at big Lincoln and Omaha schools I was more impressed along with the level of all star teams they were chosen for . If this year goes real well. i would think recruiting gets a little easier.

I was not sure of this coach. He was older. He's not real fresh faced. He's not a charming comedian around town.

I am a believer now.

Comment

I wish more Wayne people would get out of their house and watch real good college basketball. Looking at the small crowd at Winona tells me getting people out for basketball games is not easy there either.

Comment

While I typically prefer that all teams in the conference be worse than Augie, Wayne is one of few schools I can get a little excited for when it comes to seeing their program improve.

1) None of you Wayne guys on these boards are jerks, which automatically makes me like your program more.

2) Wayne being Augie's travel partner means that, unlike a few of the past couple of seasons, there will be (seemingly) far fewer nights this season when a team like Mankato or SMSU can rest its starters for the last 10 minutes of the Friday night game before playing Augie on a Saturday night. I used to envy Moorhead during that 2014-2016 stretch when both Augie and Moorhead were near/at the top of the standings because Northern was good enough that teams couldn't slack off either night, while Wayne was kind of still at a point where a good team would blow them out, and I felt that was really advantageous to Moorhead. If Kaminsky is really pulling Wayne up like he appears to be, this is a good thing for Augie in the long run, especially as Augie gets better in a couple of years and can get back to balancing it as a mutually beneficial travel partnership.

3) Wayne and Augie aren't typically battling head-to-head for a ton of recruits, as Wayne seems (from the impression I get at least) to focus more on the Nebraska/Iowa area for the most part. Maybe that will change if Kaminsky starts going after different players (guys from the Cities and Dakotas, etc.), but it seems like there's not a ton of overlap right now from a recruiting standpoint, so it doesn't bug me as much if Wayne does really well moving forward.

And 4) I respect that some of Wayne's more talented players could've easily considered jumping to other programs when the coaching change happened, but seem to have stuck it out and have the potential to be rewarded for staying committed to the Wildcat program. For their sake, I hope you guys continue to win.

To summarize, congrats to the good start on the season. Hope the Wildcats are able to keep it up as the year goes on.

Comment

And Wayne State was in the old CSIC with my Lions back in the day (80's), so I too am glad to see them doing well so far!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                            And Wayne State was in the old CSIC with my Lions back in the day (80's), so I too am glad to see them doing well so far!
                            Ah yes, the CSIC

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                              While I typically prefer that all teams in the conference be worse than Augie, Wayne is one of few schools I can get a little excited for when it comes to seeing their program improve.

1) None of you Wayne guys on these boards are jerks, which automatically makes me like your program more.

2) Wayne being Augie's travel partner means that, unlike a few of the past couple of seasons, there will be (seemingly) far fewer nights this season when a team like Mankato or SMSU can rest its starters for the last 10 minutes of the Friday night game before playing Augie on a Saturday night. I used to envy Moorhead during that 2014-2016 stretch when both Augie and Moorhead were near/at the top of the standings because Northern was good enough that teams couldn't slack off either night, while Wayne was kind of still at a point where a good team would blow them out, and I felt that was really advantageous to Moorhead. If Kaminsky is really pulling Wayne up like he appears to be, this is a good thing for Augie in the long run, especially as Augie gets better in a couple of years and can get back to balancing it as a mutually beneficial travel partnership.

3) Wayne and Augie aren't typically battling head-to-head for a ton of recruits, as Wayne seems (from the impression I get at least) to focus more on the Nebraska/Iowa area for the most part. Maybe that will change if Kaminsky starts going after different players (guys from the Cities and Dakotas, etc.), but it seems like there's not a ton of overlap right now from a recruiting standpoint, so it doesn't bug me as much if Wayne does really well moving forward.

And 4) I respect that some of Wayne's more talented players could've easily considered jumping to other programs when the coaching change happened, but seem to have stuck it out and have the potential to be rewarded for staying committed to the Wildcat program. For their sake, I hope you guys continue to win.

To summarize, congrats to the good start on the season. Hope the Wildcats are able to keep it up as the year goes on.
                              regarding #1 ...thanks for not asking my wife about being a jerk
                              # 2 great point!
                              #3.....................I could be wrong but it seemed UNK got a lot of omaha and Lincoln and out state players. What WSC got the past 15 yrs was unimpressive. I am not sure if Tom Kropp retiring is changing this? or I am all wet. We went after Iowa hard. Doug Mcdermott and Rico Burkett both came from there. Paul Combs went after Wisconsin and everywhere else which turned out poor for WSC . I am not sure what Brian Dolans emphasis was ? It did not work.
                              #4 Kendall Jacks is in his 5th year....it is unbelievable he never left. He can think back in 10 yrs and be real proud of staying and building things back up.

I heard a post game interview with USd's new coach Todd Lee and he was throwing players under the bus. Those USD players lost their coach and star player in the last 6 months. Scott frost has done the same at Neb. ....................The kids who have change in coaches and teammates do not have it easy. many times it is bad decisions by athletic directors that let them down.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X