Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIAA Women's and Men's heading into conference play

What are thoughts of the MIAA overall and within the conference as conference play is about to begin for both the women and men?

Comment

Re: MIAA Women's and Men's heading into conference play

I see more of the same for CentralMO. I expect the Jennies to compete for the MIAA title and earn a spot in the regional. I expect the Mules to finish in the top half of the MIAA but not be an MIAA title contender and to miss the regional for the 4th consecutive season.

Comment

I think the top 4 on the men's side will be the same as last year, with Northwest, Southern, Washburn and Central OK all in the hunt for the league title and a regional bid.

I believe Pitt State will make a nice leap forward and be a tough out for anyone.

Lindenwood and UCM are in the upper half.

Hays and Kearney will be down IMO.

It will be interesting as always to see how the unbalanced MIAA schedule helps and hurts various teams. For example, Northwest doesn't have to travel to Southern. But Southern doesn't play at Washburn. Meanwhile, Washburn and Northwest meet twice.

Comment

On the men's side, without going through everybody's schedules too closely, I've been most impressed with Northwest: they've played a legit D2 schedule (except for Tabor last week) and have not only gone through unscathed but have pretty well pounded everybody except Northern State in the first game of the year. To do that while replacing Pitts is no small feat. Missouri Southern got a nice non-con win at Mankato and looks to be legit. I don't think anybody else has played as solid a schedule as those two among the one- and two-loss teams. From a homer perspective, Missouri Western going 5-4 against an all D2 schedule thus far is a welcome change from the past. I think we'll be good enough to put a scare into just about anyone, but may not be able to have the sustained excellence you need to compete at the very top of the league.

On the women's side, I'm surprised Lincoln is off to a 5-0 start, but not sure how good their opponents have been. UCM and Hays look very good. Like the men, I think the Missouri Western women are talented enough to play with anybody on a given night; we'll see if they can do it consistently.

Comment

I would be surprised if UCM lives up to their seeding #4 as big injury has already happened. Still it's a sad state as no playoff outside of year 1.

Comment

Comment

FWIW, as you mention, NW squeaked out a win against northern in the first game of the year and Truman also snuck by northern. However, NW beat Truman by 27.

Otherwise, I think you're spot on with NW. Yearly concern with depth. They don't have an inside presence but how will teams guard them when every player but one is a threat to shoot from outside and they are truly playing positionless basketball with their top 6?

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                  FWIW, as you mention, NW squeaked out a win against northern in the first game of the year and Truman also snuck by northern. However, NW beat Truman by 27.

Otherwise, I think you're spot on with NW. Yearly concern with depth. They don't have an inside presence but how will teams guard them when every player but one is a threat to shoot from outside and they are truly playing positionless basketball with their top 6?

Comment

I agree and didn't take it as a knock. Just providing thoughts for discussion...

Comment

The men's side looks to be a lot of the same teams in the hunt again this year.

On paper it looks to be the same for the women but with a couple major coaching changes at Emporia and Pitt it could end be a much different year for those schools.

Comment

I can only speak for Pitt State at this point. Haven't seen the others play yet. Pitt State's men will be improved, but still not ready to take that leap into the top 4. They do have 2 of the better players in the league in Lozoya and Franklin, but lack an inside game, and depth is very young.

The women for Pitt will take a dip this year. Lost a lot from last year, so will have a new look this year with a lot of young players getting some time. They do have a bona fide contender for Freshman of the Year in point guard Kaylee DaMitz. Definitely fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                          I see more of the same for CentralMO. I expect the Jennies to compete for the MIAA title and earn a spot in the regional. I expect the Mules to finish in the top half of the MIAA but not be an MIAA title contender and to miss the regional for the 4th consecutive season.
                          I'm going to change my opinion of the Mules. They have been bit by the injury bug, and since they weren't very talented to begin with, I expect them to have to fight to keep their streak of being the only team to qualify for every MIAA post season tournament alive. The MIAA started the post season tournament in 1981 and the Mules are the only team to play in all 38.

After watching the Mules struggle to beat an average NAIA team last night, I'm not sure there are 4 MIAA teams worse than the Mules this season. One of the teams I thought would be worse, Baptist, has already beaten the Mules once.
                          Last edited by Randy; 12-13-2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks Randy, I have been calling for coach K to go for two years injuries are tough to deal with but he hasn't helped the school or the proud Mules tradition. I have slowed down my soapbox but something has to change.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X