Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duke vs D2 National Champion ... who gets the game?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke vs D2 National Champion ... who gets the game?

Duke Coach Krzyzewski loves this exhibition game for his players vs the D2 national champs. So who does he extend the invitation to if ge still wants a game plated at Camron Indoor Sports Arena? Don't think Coach K is going to have his usual loss of "one-and-dones". Solid players returning. Huge challenge.

There are no NCAA national champions to crown at any level in 2020. I can still maybe see Krzyzewski interested with inviting NW back, especially after their performance this past year. But, would be pretty cool if Coach K asked NW Coach Mac to put together his hand-selected team of D2 All-Stars ... if that were possible. Just not sure how Coach Mac would be able to organize any formal quality practices. Would be a hell of a fun game ...

That's certainly something to worry about at this point!

Comment

No one wants to talk about the Corona virus and the floundering economy 24/7, especially on a D2 sports message board. We're already being asked to stay home and be hermits because of it, so let's sulk and not look at what's ahead when this is all over. I agree, I'm sure Duke hasn't even considered what they'll do at this point, nor should they even care, but if fans want to speculate and talk about sports to get out of the moment, then by all means.... please!

In regards to Zub's suggestion, I think NW (or MoSo, or Northern, or any other top D2 team) would give a better game than a D2 all-star team, for the reason that you mentioned. A team that has practiced together and played together is going to understand their roles, ball movement with each other, defensive rotations and where the help is coming from, as opposed to throwing 10 players together without any familiarity for 1 game. Either way, if there is a game next year, I feel like Duke will have something to prove, especially if they don't have the same kind of turnover they've had in the past. I'll be suprised if it's close no matter who plays.

Comment

After Dukes slim 6 point win over Northwest, I'm not sure the Dukies want any part Mac's Bearcats

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
          No one wants to talk about the Corona virus and the floundering economy 24/7, especially on a D2 sports message board. We're already being asked to stay home and be hermits because of it, so let's sulk and not look at what's ahead when this is all over. I agree, I'm sure Duke hasn't even considered what they'll do at this point, nor should they even care, but if fans want to speculate and talk about sports to get out of the moment, then by all means.... please!

In regards to Zub's suggestion, I think NW (or MoSo, or Northern, or any other top D2 team) would give a better game than a D2 all-star team, for the reason that you mentioned. A team that has practiced together and played together is going to understand their roles, ball movement with each other, defensive rotations and where the help is coming from, as opposed to throwing 10 players together without any familiarity for 1 game. Either way, if there is a game next year, I feel like Duke will have something to prove, especially if they don't have the same kind of turnover they've had in the past. I'll be suprised if it's close no matter who plays.
          I have a lot of respect for MSSU and the tough games they have given NW the last few years. However, unless there is a waiver and a number of their seniors come back, they are losing a ton next year and would in no way resemble this year's team if they were to play Duke in October. NW lost 1 senior last year and loses 2 seniors this year. Every team loses a few but they are going to lose a lot. I'm sure Boschee will bring in good talent but no way to know how they will come together next year with a bunch of new faces.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

I have a lot of respect for MSSU and the tough games they have given NW the last few years. However, unless there is a waiver and a number of their seniors come back, they are losing a ton next year and would in no way resemble this year's team if they were to play Duke in October. NW lost 1 senior last year and loses 2 seniors this year. Every team loses a few but they are going to lose a lot. I'm sure Boschee will bring in good talent but no way to know how they will come together next year with a bunch of new faces.
            Yes, I am aware... I knew someone would say this. They will lose a tremendous amount of their core going into next year. I was just mentioning them as in the team they have right now, I feel would beat a D2 all-star team that was just thrown together. Right or wrong, I don't expect the seniors to get another year of eligibility since the regular season was complete, and many are probably finishing school and ready to move on anyway. I do think MoSo will reload and they still have Cam, but using them as an example in this scenario was probably a mistake. I still stick to my premise that an all-star team wouldn't be a more competitive alternative than one of the top D2 teams to play that game.

Having said all of that, I was looking at MoSo's recruits on verbal commits the other day though... they've got two 6'7" shooting guards committed and are chasing another 6'10" dude! NW may want to think about adding a little size.... geez! ;)
            Last edited by Alfred33; 03-16-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Yes, I am aware... I knew someone would say this. They will lose a tremendous amount of their core going into next year. I was just mentioning them as in the team they have right now, I feel would beat a D2 all-star team that was just thrown together. Right or wrong, I don't expect the seniors to get another year of eligibility since the regular season was complete, and many are probably finishing school and ready to move on anyway. I do think MoSo will reload and they still have Cam, but using them as an example in this scenario was probably a mistake. I still stick to my premise that an all-star team wouldn't be a more competitive alternative than one of the top D2 teams to play that game.

Having said all of that, I was looking at MoSo's recruits on verbal commits the other day though... they've got two 6'7" shooting guards committed and are chasing another 6'10" dude! NW may want to think about adding a little size.... geez! ;)
              I've heard NW staff is very high on this incoming class. They think the kid from Willard is the best hs player they've ever recruited (best potential based on high school production). How he turns out as a college player- who knows.

I don't think Ben is recruiting size just to recruit size. He's going to continue to recruit those who can dribble, shoot, guard multiple positions, etc. so they can play positionless basketball. If they are 6'5-6'7 that's fine by him. If they are 6'9 or 6'10 even better but it's clear he's not prioritizing height.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

I've heard NW staff is very high on this incoming class. They think the kid from Willard is the best hs player they've ever recruited (best potential based on high school production). How he turns out as a college player- who knows.

I don't think Ben is recruiting size just to recruit size. He's going to continue to recruit those who can dribble, shoot, guard multiple positions, etc. so they can play positionless basketball. If they are 6'5-6'7 that's fine by him. If they are 6'9 or 6'10 even better but it's clear he's not prioritizing height.
                I've heard the same... It was said in jest, I don't question our ability to recruit the right kids for us. Regardless, MoSo is going to have some big guards if those kids pan out.

Comment

Comment

MOSO just added another 6'5 guard yesterday. Based on Boschee's success so far, I'm guessing these guys will be good players. Just have to see how quickly they contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post

MOSO just added another 6'5 guard yesterday. Based on Boschee's success so far, I'm guessing these guys will be good players. Just have to see how quickly they contribute.
                      My guess would be that they will be good too... You have a really good program. Northwest recruits the last couple of years have been mostly in that 6'4" - 6'6" range (Dreamer is 6'7"). We lose 6'8" Welty and 6'7" Dougherty this year, along with 6'7" Hawkins next year, so we'll be getting a little smaller if we don't bring in some other guys. "Not as long" might be better terminology than smaller, but we'll see how it all comes together. Big men that are real offensive powerhouses like Cam is are rare in D2, so it may not matter, but the way the roster stands now, Dreamer would be the only one we have left over 6'6".
                      Last edited by Alfred33; 03-23-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

My guess would be that they will be good too... You have a really good program. Northwest recruits the last couple of years have been mostly in that 6'4" - 6'6" range (Dreamer is 6'7"). We lose 6'8" Welty and 6'7" Dougherty this year, along with 6'7" Hawkins next year, so we'll be getting a little smaller if we don't bring in some other guys. "Not as long" might be better terminology than smaller, but we'll see how it all comes together. Big men that are real offensive powerhouses like Cam is are rare in D2, so it may not matter, but the way the roster stands now, Dreamer would be the only one we have left over 6'6".

Comment

Comment

I noticed one of our red shirts was not suited up for the MIAA tourney. Just curious to see if anyone knows why?

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
                              I noticed one of our red shirts was not suited up for the MIAA tourney. Just curious to see if anyone knows why?
                              Illness.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X