Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a memory ...

Just a question I have about a great memory at NW. We had a speaker come to the NW campus and spoke to a crowd of people and fans in the former Deerwester Theatre at the north side of the Administration Building. His name was John Wooden, former coach of the UCLA Bruins. Incredible to be there in his presence and sitting next to some of the NW players at the time. Everyone's eyes so wide open. Of course this was the Deerwester Theatre, like I said, that was at the north side of the Administration Building when a fire destroyed that theater in 1979, as well as much of the Administration Building. Such a tragedy for the campus. Not just the theatre, but the massive damage to the Admin Building at the heart of the NW campus. Anyway, back to the question I have. I can't seem to google the answer so wondering if anyone recalls when John Wooden made his appearance? Had to have been late 1976 (Oct-Dec) or early 1977, or maybe late 1977.

I know I have at least a few years on most of you, maybe more than a few. So, I get most of you have no chance knowing anything about Coach Wooden coming to NW to speak and offering questions to the crowd of people there that night. (ha) Pretty much, anyone who knows anything about Mr. Wooden would know "that": question that, without failure, always popped up when he did any of his speaking engagements after so many of his amazing years at UCLA. Truly, hoping there is someone out there who remembers the day John Wooden came to the 'Ville. Bet on the line! (ha) Frustrated. I said it was February or March, first part of 1977.
    Last edited by ZubCat81; 04-04-2021, 01:38 AM.

Wow, what an awesome experience and a great memory.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 04-04-2021, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Remember going to the theater and hearing George Plimpton speak. They were getting some outstanding speakers in those days. It would have been in early 70's as I graduated in December of 73
      Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by ZubCat81 View Post
        Just a question I have about a great memory at NW. We had a speaker come to the NW campus and spoke to a crowd of people and fans in the former Deerwester Theatre at the north side of the Administration Building. His name was John Wooden, former coach of the UCLA Bruins. Incredible to be there in his presence and sitting next to some of the NW players at the time. Everyone's eyes so wide open. Of course this was the Deerwester Theatre, like I said, that was at the north side of the Administration Building when a fire destroyed that theater in 1979, as well as much of the Administration Building. Such a tragedy for the campus. Not just the theatre, but the massive damage to the Admin Building at the heart of the NW campus. Anyway, back to the question I have. I can't seem to google the answer so wondering if anyone recalls when John Wooden made his appearance? Had to have been late 1976 (Oct-Dec) or early 1977, or maybe late 1977.

I know I have at least a few years on most of you, maybe more than a few. So, I get most of you have no chance knowing anything about Coach Wooden coming to NW to speak and offering questions to the crowd of people there that night. (ha) Pretty much, anyone who knows anything about Mr. Wooden would know "that": question that, without failure, always popped up when he did any of his speaking engagements after so many of his amazing years at UCLA. Truly, hoping there is someone out there who remembers the day John Wooden came to the 'Ville. Bet on the line! (ha) Frustrated. I said it was February or March, first part of 1977.
        Who is Coach Wooden?
        I'm kidding... I'm not that young. ;) I am young enough to never have heard of the Deerwester Theatre though... interesting story for sure.

Comment

At my age I can barely remember when UCM had a competitive mens basketball team

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

Who is Coach Wooden?
            I'm kidding... I'm not that young. ;) I am young enough to never have heard of the Deerwester Theatre though... interesting story for sure.
            Not the best picture of the Deerwester Theatre located on the backside of the NW Administration Building. This was a 1919 image after a tornado had hit Maryville and damaged the roof of Deerwester. It was beautiful inside. Would have been nice if NW would have made a half-arse attempt to replicate it's reconstruction after the fire in 1979. Added the extra pics of that fire in '79. Appears the firefighters had a chance to save it, but focused their attention more with saving the Administration Building where the fire initially started. Spread quickly to the Deerwester Theatre. Sad. Huge historical loss. But, certainly the fire departments who responded to that fire did a pretty incredible job. Beautiful building today.

Last edited by ZubCat81; 04-06-2021, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Incredible that even with the loss of the Deerwester Theatre on the north side (back) of the Administration Building, the entire third floor of the west side of the Admin Bldg was leveled by the fire. That would be the left side of the building with the picture you see below. President Dr.B.D.Owens was so instrumental with his insistence and fight toward the restoration of this building. Beautiful today!

Last edited by ZubCat81; 04-06-2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Here's another memory from college days that's probably way too far in the past.

PANTY RAID -. Before coed dorms at UCM, the girls dorms were on the west side of campus and the boys dorms were on the east side and panty raids were usually a right of fall and spring. The campus cops would catch wind of the impending raid and attempt to repel the "Raiders of the Lost Panties". The campus cops were always out flanked and a few raiders did return with a trophy thrown from the windows of the girls dorms. The whole scene was really funny and even the campus cops pretty much just laughed it off. Oh, to relive those wonderful carefree college days again....if just for one last panty raid before I go.

Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 04-07-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post
                  Remember going to the theater and hearing George Plimpton speak. They were getting some outstanding speakers in those days. It would have been in early 70's as I graduated in December of 73

George Plimpton was an interesting guy for sure and I enjoyed his sports writing. I bet he told some interesting stories when he spoke at NW.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X