Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSSU is it time for Boschee to go?

Is it time for MOSO to start considering a coaching change for next season. Even though the season isn't over, and the team is above .500. I have been watching the Lions for 20 years. There were some lean years with Corn as coach too. A loosing season here or there. They always seemed to bounce back the next season. The team retained players and graduated players. With Boschee as the coach they hav been in a constant recruiting faze. Players transferring out every year. With all but a couple players that left last season. It has become clear. He and his coaching style is the problem. Watching him coach is tough. He coaches scared and tries to work clock all the time. When they actually have a lead the clock work starts 10+ minutes left in games. The winning record this year is for now. It's inflated with really subpar wins. These last 7 games could end up with a loosing season. This season especially with nearly a complete new roster from top to bottom has proven tough for the players. Tough to have rhythm with teammates that don't know and can't rely on each others reaction times. Not blaming the players. They play tough every night. They're just struggling as a team, and the struggle is by having a coach that really can't coach. His first couple seasons had success with a team constructed by Coach Corn. Now it's a revolving door in the locker room. For whatever reason he is not able to connect with the players. Time to really consider looking elsewhere for the new leadership courtside at MSSU.

Re: MSSU is it time for Boschee to go?

Your thoughts are a bit premature in my opinion. He brought in five good looking freshmen and if four of them stay for next year, then he should be back too.

On the flip side, if two or three of them don't return, then I'd agree there's a concern.

Defensively, we've been pretty dreadful, although we do force a lot of turnovers which I think is a result of the pressure defense philosophy.

We're in a stretch now where we'll either find out this team is okay, or basically below average (which would indeed be very disappointing).

Comment

Is that you, Charlie, posting from Minnesota?

Seriously, with the run of injuries / grade issues, they have no on inside w/ the exception of a true freshman. He'll be great, by-the-way, but the MIAA is a grown man's league - so it will take time.

They've been very, very good at times in what could only be expected to be a transition season. Boschee deserves a long leash ...

Comment

Get out of here with this crap.

This is Boschee's third year at the helm, during that time MSSU is 51-31 (.621). Of course, during Coach Corn's time at the helm Missouri Southern 413-305 (.575). You'll notice that Boschee actually has a higher winning percentage than his predecessor, who by the way has his signature on the home court.

You say that the team was riddled with transfers since last year. Not really accurate at all. Seven of last year's players graduated. One was kicked off the team because he didn't attend class. Two were walk-ons that decided not to continue playing college basketball. Of course, there was one high profile transfer in Charlie Brown. If you want to hold that one against Boschee then that is your prerogative, but my knowledge of the situation is that it would be unfair to do so.

So in a season following the loss of seven seniors (most of which were four year players that started at MSSU during the Corn era), Missouri Southern is 13-8. However, they were 10-3 up until the point at which they lost their starting center for the season. Also, at that point they were sitting third in the region in the Performance Indicators. So your point about their record being fluffed by easy victories isn't accurate either. In a season that was appeared as though it would be a clear rebuilding year, Missouri Southern is sitting 13-8 and receiving quality minutes from four freshman that have extremely bright futures for the Green and Gold.

I'm excited for the future of the Missouri Southern basketball program and am astounded at the level of play this team has achieved after losing so much talent from a year ago, not to mention arguably the most productive player in school history.
        Last edited by MOSO Mufasa; 02-01-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSO Mufasa View Post
          Get out of here with this crap.
          This is one of my favorite introductory sentences to a D2 Message Board post in a long time.

Comment

I don't know if they'll have to kick him out or if he'll just leave. Rumors are he is a top candidate for replacing Chipman at Washburn...

Comment

The bench can not score. They shoot the 3 with desperation. I can only assume the 3 point freeness comes from Boschee. It just seems there is no direction for what type of team they need and want to be. Resting on the excuse that loosing 1 player put the skid on the season. I just don't buy it. I watch him coach and you see a guy that is confused. He stands around, a lot of the time near the end of the bench by the cooler. As I mentioned before seems that he directs and coaches scared sometimes. I just don't see the fire and passion for a college head coach. Going to a games now attendance is down, student attendance is way down. The basketball program as a whole seems confused.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lion Pride Alum;2017298]Resting on the excuse that loosing 1 player put the skid on the season. I just don't buy it./QUOTE]

Well let's see...

with Ross - 9 wins, 2 losses, 0.618 SOS
                without Ross - 4 wins, 6 losses, 0.516 SOS (two of those losses came at home to teams they had just beaten on the road a few weeks before with Ross)

Ross was accounting for over 20% of the team's rebounds and about 13% of the team's points in the games that he was playing. Also, due to Kreuer's eligibility issues the center position was the most shallow position on the team. Not only are you taking a step down in production from Ross to Frisbie (a true freshman from a class 1 Missouri HS), but then you literally have no back up 5 man when Frisbie gets into foul trouble, which he does almost every night.

Now please don't take this as a shot on Frisbie, who I am extremely excited to have at Missouri Southern. He is going to be an all-conference player when all is said and done, but he does need some time to develop. The bigger impact of Ross's injury is that we simply don't have another true 5 man to rotate the spot with Frisbie and without a 5 on the court there is no rim protector and the offense is forced to rely more on the 3.

Comment

Boy, as a Pitt State fan I'd love to be in your shoes on the men's side.

Comment

This is nonsense! If you applied this same standard to Coach Corn years ago, you would have called for his head too. Up until the Final 4 season in 1999-2000, Coach Corn had 2 winning seasons, 7 losing seasons, and one year at .500. With a .621 winning percentage (#1 in MOSO history), a team sitting in 5th place in the league (and can beat anyone except NWMSU), and a very bright future with some great looking freshman ... get off his case and give him a chance. I have been in the locker room and on the sideline. The man can Coach! With the new team this year and LJ's injury ... I am very happy with the teams performance. Been better than I was expecting with the complete turnover of the team. We can still finish in the top 4, get a bye to KC, and make some noise in KC. And when you look at the future of our team with these freshmen ... I think it is totally ridiculous to consider a coaching change!

Comment

Ahem ... did you happen to catch the game Saturday?

Comment

Outstanding game plan against Northwest Missouri. Somebody on here said the Lions pulled off the upset because of hot shooting. They hit 53% from the field.

The game was won by the defensive scheme. Held the Bearcats to one of their lowest outputs, including a season low SIX assists. Pitts was 8-20 for 20 points but a lot of that came during a 7 or 8 minute stretch late.

Lions' big man who had 16 and 10 Wednesday played less than a minute in the second half due to foul trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                          Outstanding game plan against Northwest Missouri. Somebody on here said the Lions pulled off the upset because of hot shooting. They hit 53% from the field.

The game was won by the defensive scheme. Held the Bearcats to one of their lowest outputs, including a season low SIX assists. Pitts was 8-20 for 20 points but a lot of that came during a 7 or 8 minute stretch late.

Lions' big man who had 16 and 10 Wednesday played less than a minute in the second half due to foul trouble.
                          Nice W. reports of boschee's demise are greatly exaggerated. 😀

Comment

I know he'd hate to leave that area as he is a former Jayhawk and I'm assuming that's forever royalty, but I wonder if we'd ever see him in the NSIC being from Valley City originally.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                              I know he'd hate to leave that area as he is a former Jayhawk and I'm assuming that's forever royalty, but I wonder if we'd ever see him in the NSIC being from Valley City originally.
                              His wife is from this immediate area and she has family in this area ... so I'm hoping that will keep him here. I definitely want to see him stay here a long time!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X