X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorhead123
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

this difference is almost entirely due to playing in the North vs the South. The North is better than years ago, but the difference is still big top to bottom.

Until there is a blanced schedule, this will be a point of debate. If I were Northern I would rather play UMC 2x every year than any South team. No one disputes that. Nt a rip on North fans, but the facts are what they are. Now Northern would be just as good in the South, but the schedule difference helps
    How is that any different than south teams playing CSP twice per season? UMC and CSP have been very similar over the recent past.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I guess that kind of depends on what time frame you are talking about. Over the last 10 seasons NSU is 154-58 (.726) in conference with 4 regular season and 4 tourney championships and zero losing seasons. Augie is 145-63 (.697) in conference with 3 regular season and 2 tourney championships and one losing season.
    this difference is almost entirely due to playing in the North vs the South. The North is better than years ago, but the difference is still big top to bottom.

Until there is a blanced schedule, this will be a point of debate. If I were Northern I would rather play UMC 2x every year than any South team. No one disputes that. Nt a rip on North fans, but the facts are what they are. Now Northern would be just as good in the South, but the schedule difference helps

Leave a comment:

• NWHoops
    replied
    I've enjoyed this conversation from a distance. Fun question- if you are an AD and are making a hire today with the following qualities in mind:

- Demonstrated ability to win consistently
    - Long term hire (looking on the younger side with the hope they will be there for many years, not the backend of a career)
    - Graduates players and develops them as both players and individuals

Who are you picking as your next head coach from the current NSIC coaches? Feel free to add your own qualifications but I think those are ones that would be at the top of my list. Based on those, I know who I would pick today but interested to hear perspectives of others.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I guess that kind of depends on what time frame you are talking about. Over the last 10 seasons NSU is 154-58 (.726) in conference with 4 regular season and 4 tourney championships and zero losing seasons. Augie is 145-63 (.697) in conference with 3 regular season and 2 tourney championships and one losing season.
    That is an interesting stat - though in that time, Augustana is 1-0 in National Titles, and Northern is 0-1, fwiw.

I guess it's probably moot to my original point though, I just think the south is better - and I'd like to see the north catch up a bit. No ill will towards any one program.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Meh... I mean, I respect NSU greatly, don't get me wrong - but I don't think anyone would say they've been more consistent than Augustana.

Augie is really the king of the hill, everything after that can be speculation,

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Argument for nsu too
    Meh... I mean, I respect NSU greatly, don't get me wrong - but I don't think anyone would say they've been more consistent than Augustana.

Augie is really the king of the hill, everything after that can be speculation,

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    I don't think anyone said UIU was "upper echelon," just that they won when UMD/MSUM didn't.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

That's fair. Augustana has been the most consistent team out of them all though.
    Argument for nsu too

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied
    Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

UMD/Wieck has to win an NCAA Tournament game before they can join any sort of theoretical upper echelon.

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied
    UMD/Wieck has to win an NCAA Tournament game before they can join any sort of theoretical upper echelon.
    Last edited by Augieholic; 08-18-2022, 02:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Then you have to view recent success of UIU in similar manner as UMD. Both teams have struggled until the past few years.
    That's fair. Augustana has been the most consistent team out of them all though.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

No doubt he had a huge impact, but Augie still would have done pretty well regardless. Always a team with depth.

Nothing wrong with wanting the lesser half of the conference to step up and make the conference more well-rounded as a whole. Great for UMD, they finally made the NCAA tournament this decade (after entirely missing the last one). Hopefully they sustain the momentum and be a consistent player in the conference.
    Then you have to view recent success of UIU in similar manner as UMD. Both teams have struggled until the past few years.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    No doubt he had a huge impact, but Augie still would have done pretty well regardless. Always a team with depth.

Nothing wrong with wanting the lesser half of the conference to step up and make the conference more well-rounded as a whole. Great for UMD, they finally made the NCAA tournament this decade (after entirely missing the last one). Hopefully they sustain the momentum and be a consistent player in the conference.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

So what you're saying is, Augie and UIU made it past the first round of the NCAA tournament, when UMD and MSUM did not.

Crazy that UMD's success was hinged on just one guy. South is better overall, aside from NSU and MSUM on a consistent basis.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Mostly correct, but if I remember correctly I think the North has won the h2h the last two years with he south. Could definitely be wrong but I'll check on it later tonight.
    Interesting - definitely could be. If so, that's exciting (and I mean that genuinely). Having a more well-rounded conference benefits everyone.

Hopefully the trend continues.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X