X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by debergfan View Post
    Everyone had to deal with Covid though just hit Marshall harder, I guess.

If you've ever been to Marshall, it's not hard to figure out why this is absolutely a true statement.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Underrating or appropriately rating? I don't think anyone doubts that he is a good coach under the right circumstances, specifically when he hits the high point of this 4-year cycle Stanger86 is all about. But I don't know that I'd rank him in the same group of coaches as Walthall (I know he's done, but up to this season I mean), Billeter, Margenthaler, etc. To be honest, I was surprised reading Bigler's bio and seeing that he has been Coach of the Year twice.

Bottom line, I think he has undoubtedly done a solid job for the Mustangs, but his record is his record, even if there are a handful of circumstances that impact that record.

That being said, if Mustang fans are happy with him, then that's ultimately what matters. I'd be surprised if the new AD had someone else he wanted to hire, as I can't imagine anyone else doing a much consistently better job than Bigler has done, even if statistically his record isn't astounding.
    He has had some really exceptional individual years, which is probably why the bolded.

Margenthaler is a great coach, especially in the NSIC - but how has he done in the postseason? Genuinely asking, I haven't heard of MSU being relevant beyond the conference in some years. Same can certainly be said for SMSU, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    FWIW - Bigler is #1 in career wins, and #3 in career win % (50+ wins) - behind Stemen and Miles. Granted, he has had many years to get to that point.

The idea he's on some hypothetical hot seat is hilarious. We can debate whether or not he's a great coach, but the idea that the AD wants him out is ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    Pleased folks are underrating Bigler
    Underrating or appropriately rating? I don't think anyone doubts that he is a good coach under the right circumstances, specifically when he hits the high point of this 4-year cycle Stanger86 is all about. But I don't know that I'd rank him in the same group of coaches as Walthall (I know he's done, but up to this season I mean), Billeter, Margenthaler, etc. To be honest, I was surprised reading Bigler's bio and seeing that he has been Coach of the Year twice.

Bottom line, I think he has undoubtedly done a solid job for the Mustangs, but his record is his record, even if there are a handful of circumstances that impact that record.

That being said, if Mustang fans are happy with him, then that's ultimately what matters. I'd be surprised if the new AD had someone else he wanted to hire, as I can't imagine anyone else doing a much consistently better job than Bigler has done, even if statistically his record isn't astounding.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Pleased folks are underrating Bigler

Leave a comment:

• debergfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Now do the program's record when Bigler hasn't been involved as a player or coach!

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by debergfan View Post
    Everyone had to deal with Covid though just hit Marshall harder, I guess. Bigler last winning record in the NSIC was 2018.

By the way, I just listed everyone with a new AD, the new AD might want to bring in their own coach. Take out the covid year of 1-6, Bigler is 44-44 in the last 4 full seasons.
    2010-11 9-13
    2011-12 15-7
    2012-13 13-9
    2013-14 14-8
    2014-15 8-14
    2015-16 9-13
    2016-17 17-5
    2017-18 17-5
    2018-19 10-12
    2019-20 5-17
    2020-21 1-6
    2021-22 10-10
    Now do the program's record when Bigler hasn't been involved as a player or coach!

Leave a comment:

• debergfan
    replied
    Everyone had to deal with Covid though just hit Marshall harder, I guess. Bigler last winning record in the NSIC was 2018.

By the way, I just listed everyone with a new AD, the new AD might want to bring in their own coach. Take out the covid year of 1-6, Bigler is 44-44 in the last 4 full seasons.
    2010-11 9-13
    2011-12 15-7
    2012-13 13-9
    2013-14 14-8
    2014-15 8-14
    2015-16 9-13
    2016-17 17-5
    2017-18 17-5
    2018-19 10-12
    2019-20 5-17
    2020-21 1-6
    2021-22 10-10

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Year 1, you are correct. That was the standard first year of a recruiting cycle. If you've paid any attention to SMSU under Bigler, you would recognize that as the norm. Look back at 2010-11 and 2014-15 for further examples. In 2020-21, when the team went just 3-8, you can absolutely credit it to the COVID outbreak. The fact that SMSU only played 11 games should be proof enough.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    No, SMSU's budget is. Duh.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

And 34-10 the two years before that...

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    What Bigler has done being underfunded is a miracle. our adminsitration ssucks so bad
    Yeah I don't think most people realize we only rival Crookston in terms of funding...

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    And 34-10 the two years before that...

Leave a comment:

• cat fan
    replied
    I'd say Murken has Minot trending in the right direction, 15-10 last year with some good wins (Moorhead, Duluth, Mankato, Northern). It is possible his seat was warm a couple of years ago, but I think he should be pretty safe now.

Boschee is possibly not meeting expectations in Bemidji, but I don't know that they have a big fan base that is going to turn on the heat. Football/hockey country.

Nelson has only had a year at UMary.

My guess is that Bigler will continue to coach at SMSU a long time. His record hasn't been great lately but the South has been a tough grind since WSC, UIU, and USF started putting out good squads. Augie and Mankato are always tough. Other than CSP there isn't an easy win to be had for him in the South division.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied
    Bigler's record is skewed by the Covid year where we had no players and many players missed,,

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X