Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Indicators, the NSIC, & Duluth

Disclaimer: This Thread is not intended to bash our league or Duluth. I appreciate the NSIC and spent 13 years doing battle in the old NIC. As well, I appreciate UM-Duluth and their former and present coaches. But on both fronts I must say as Richie Brockelman (Rockford Files, '78-79) used to say. "What the hey NSIC? What the hey Dululth?"

According to Performance Indicators we (NSIC) have no one in the Top 25. Southwest (27) and Moorhead (34) are fine teams and will compete well in the regional tournament. But in contrast, we have three teams in the bottom 25 (going in reverse order) beginning with Duluth (8), Crookston (19) and Concordia (22). We also have 3 more teams from the bottom at 49, 66 & 68. This is not very impressive.

According to the Computer Rankings from the David Wilson system http://talismanred.com/ratings/hoops/divisionii.shtml we are the 12th best league in the country (out of 25). The MIAA is 2 places in front of us at 10th. They would probably be worse than us if NW wasn't #1.

I watched Duluth play at Bemidji and I thought they were decent. They were very young, had big guys (one who shot exceptionally well from the outside and a bruiser who came off the bench and probably should have played more), so I thought they were OK. But man, to identified as the 8th worst team out of 310 is not consistent with the UMD brand.

Without trashing them, what's the deal UMD?

Re: Performance Indicators, the NSIC, & Duluth

Originally posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
    Disclaimer: This Thread is not intended to bash our league or Duluth. I appreciate the NSIC and spent 13 years doing battle in the old NIC. As well, I appreciate UM-Duluth and their former and present coaches. But on both fronts I must say as Richie Brockelman (Rockford Files, '78-79) used to say. "What the hey NSIC? What the hey Dululth?"

According to Performance Indicators we (NSIC) have no one in the Top 25. Southwest (27) and Moorhead (34) are fine teams and will compete well in the regional tournament. But in contrast, we have three teams in the bottom 25 (going in reverse order) beginning with Duluth (8), Crookston (19) and Concordia (22). We also have 3 more teams from the bottom at 49, 66 & 68. This is not very impressive.

According to the Computer Rankings from the David Wilson system http://talismanred.com/ratings/hoops/divisionii.shtml we are the 12th best league in the country (out of 25). The MIAA is 2 places in front of us at 10th. They would probably be worse than us if NW wasn't #1.

I watched Duluth play at Bemidji and I thought they were decent. They were very young, had big guys (one who shot exceptionally well from the outside and a bruiser who came off the bench and probably should have played more), so I thought they were OK. But man, to identified as the 8th worst team out of 310 is not consistent with the UMD brand.

For starters, several of their losses have been around 10 points or fewer. Several have been as close as 1-5 points. Always tough when you lose close ones like that, because, as we all know, a loss is a loss whether it is by 1 point or 50.

Comment

Re: Performance Indicators, the NSIC, & Duluth

Originally posted by CoachSalscheider View Post

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      For starters, several of their losses have been around 10 points or fewer. Several have been as close as 1-5 points. Always tough when you lose close ones like that, because, as we all know, a loss is a loss whether it is by 1 point or 50.
      Also (and I could be very wrong on this) men's basketball is about 5th or 6th at best in the pecking order at UMD.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X