Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwest Bearcat BB Commits 2024

Wahoo, NE Senior Marcus Glock, a 6'4'' 175-lb guard, commits to the NW Bearcats after visits to Northwest in April and August, 2023. Currently, averaging 26-ppg this season as senior guard for Wahoo HS and the #7 ranked player in Nebraska. Impressive considering the level of play in the entire Omaha area and in the Lincoln, NE area, as well. Marcus' dad, Jason Glock, played for the Nebraska Cornhuskers from 1991-96. (article in recent Northwest Missourian campus newspaper)

Family propels Northwest commit to college basketball

WESLEY MILLER | Managing Editor | @wesleymiller360 Jan 9, 2024 Updated Jan 11, 2024

January 9, 2024 Updated Jan 11, 2024

Wahoo (Nebraska) senior guard Marcus Glock shoots a 3-pointer during warmups prior to a game during the 2022-23 season. Glock announced his commitment to Northwest men's basketball via his X (formerly known as Twitter) account Sept. 1.

Some athletes find their favorite sport on their own, but Marcus Glock had a little help from his dad.

Jason Glock played in 82 games from 1991-96 for Nebraska basketball. Almost 27 years later, Marcus Glock is set to start his own collegiate journey with Northwest men’s basketball after announcing his commitment to the Bearcats on his X (formerly known as Twitter) page Sept. 1.

Marcus Glock said his dad showed him basketball at a young age, and he fell in love with it ever since.

“He taught me everything I know,” Marcus Glock said. “I mean, after games, if I didn't shoot well, he would come and rebound for me after or he'd show me a play or we'd be up in our kitchen and he’d show me something I could have done better. … He's always kind of been like that for me, we've got a really good relationship and I'm just super happy to call him my dad.”

“It makes me feel real special,” Jason Glock said. “As parents, we try to be a positive influence to all our kids, and it's a great feeling when the child respects their parents and understands that, you know, even though some of the decisions we make maybe aren't the decisions he wants or wants to hear, we try to do what's in their best interest.”

Marcus Glock’s high school journey isn’t over yet, and he’s still planning on giving everything he has for Wahoo High School for the rest of his senior season. The guard is just the 13th player in school history to score 1,000 career points. He earned a first-team selection to the 2022-23 Nebraska Trailblazer All-Conference team. He helped lead the team to a district title last season. And, he’s already averaging 26 points per game this season and is ranked as the No. 7 player in the state, according to MaxPreps.

While his main focus is still in high school, he said he’s continuing to work on his game in preparation for when he finally starts his collegiate career. Playing college basketball is a goal he’s had since fifth grade, and he said receiving his first offers was something he’ll never forget.

“It was, like, just insane,” Marcus Glock said. “I always dreamed of that moment, and when it finally happened, I think my whole life just changed forever. … That's something you look up to as a kid, and when it happened I was just freaking out, my family was freaking out and it was just insane.”

“You know, I think Marcus is ready to go to college,” Jason Glock said. “Throughout the season we'll realize and figure it out that, ‘Hey, this is coming on quickly,’ and we're going to enjoy every moment that he's home and be excited.”

Marcus Glock went on official visits to Northwest in April and early August. He said he developed a good relationship with coach Ben McCollum and the rest of his staff, which was important for his decision since he wanted to go somewhere he knew he’d be appreciated. The Bearcats’ play style also matched perfectly with Marcus Glock’s own, he said.

The success of Northwest — recently coming off the only national title three-peat in Division II history — is very familiar to Marcus Glock. But, he’s not going to let the past worry him, and he’s just excited for the opportunity to make an impact.

“I feel obviously super proud, but a lot of pressure was kind of lifted off my shoulders when I was able to commit just because I knew it was the right place for me,” Marcus Glock said.

And, in an age where decommitting and the transfer portal seems to be at the height of their popularity, Marcus Glock’s “right place” is the place he plans on staying at for good.

“I’ve always told myself I wanted to go to one school and stay there, and if I can do that, I definitely will be happy with myself,” Marcus Glock said.

Family is what brought Marcus Glock to his love of college basketball, and family is what will drive him through it all. He said they’ve kept him committed to his goals and have helped him to appreciate the good times in life.

Marcus Glock said he has close relationships with all of his family, and they’ll continue to be his biggest motivators as he navigates a new chapter in his life.

“They always have my back, and they always keep me humble, hungry and always ready to work,” Marcus Glock said. “I'm able to, you know, talk to them when I need it. And, they know sometimes I can get annoyed or mad because things don't necessarily go my way because I take it pretty seriously, but they always get me to have fun.

Wesley Miller
    Managing Editor
    Last edited by ZubCat81; 01-18-2024, 06:22 PM.

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X