Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bruce Pearl or Ray Harper?

Originally posted by EaglesPride View Post
    I root for Ray Harper as well, though my wife and oldest son would be very angry to know this fact. I believe Harper is one of the best Xs and Os basketball coaches at any level. I also love his intensity during the games. If he would want to take the USI job, I would have no problem hiring him. I believe he is at a small Division I school now. If the USI job opens up after this season, would be interesting to see if Harper might throw his hat in the ring. He knows he can win national titles in D-2, and certainly at USI. It will be interesting if Coach Watson is terminated at season's end.
    HoTWoD should be terminated now. Bring in some volunteer clowns from the Shriners or nutclub. At least then it would be entertaining.

Comment

I heard from a really good source that you better get used to Watson as your head coach at USI, he has like 3 or 4 more years on a contract that USI has to pay him. They are also helping him with moving expenses from wherever he lived before. What a weird situation, terrible coach, doesn't live in Evansville, but the USI coach for almost a decade? I can tell you the UIndy fans are very happy for you, USI! We wish they would sign Watson to a lifetime extension!

Comment

Originally posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
        I heard from a really good source that you better get used to Watson as your head coach at USI, he has like 3 or 4 more years on a contract that USI has to pay him. They are also helping him with moving expenses from wherever he lived before. What a weird situation, terrible coach, doesn't live in Evansville, but the USI coach for almost a decade? I can tell you the UIndy fans are very happy for you, USI! We wish they would sign Watson to a lifetime extension!
        This is not entirely truth, and I tell you that as one who has plenty of inside knowledge on the subject. There is indeed a contract for Watson, but there are also plenty of "outs" if either side wishes to terminate the agreement. I don't think it will be an issue because I believe USI is going to win at least 24 or 25 games, Purdue's had coach said the same thing after the game two nights ago. But if USI would underachieve, there is plenty of contractual language that would allow USI and Watson to "separate" if that is the decision. For the uneducated out there, contracts of this nature invariably have language and clauses that protect both sides.

Comment

This is not entirely truth, and I tell you that as one who has plenty of inside knowledge on the subject. There is indeed a contract for Watson, but there are also plenty of "outs" if either side wishes to terminate the agreement. I don't think it will be an issue because I believe USI is going to win at least 24 or 25 games, Purdue's had coach said the same thing after the game two nights ago. But if USI would underachieve, there is plenty of contractual language that would allow USI and Watson to "separate" if that is the decision. For the uneducated out there, contracts of this nature invariably have language and clauses that protect both sides.
          You are wrong on this, grandpa. If USI fires Watson, they have to pay him in full. I don't doubt there's language that allows them to come to an agreement, maybe slice off a year if there's cause to fire. But if they get rid of him just because they don't win enough games, USI is on the hook to pay him. They are not gonna win 24-25 games, I could care less what Painter says. Painter and Watson are buddies, of course he says USI will win a bunch of games. I watched the delayed tape of the Purdue-USI tilt, thought it was sloppy. USI did hang in there, give them credit. But I thought Purdue looked bad except for a stretch in the first half. I wish UIndy could have played Purdue. We play at Ball State in a few hours! Hounds by 7, 71-64!

Comment

I too have never heard of any hc contract where coach is terminated or separated without any monetary contractual payments. They paid herdes, why wouldn't they have to pay Watson. Again EaglesPride "EP" think they know something but in reality they know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by glvcpro View Post
              I too have never heard of any hc contract where coach is terminated or separated without any monetary contractual payments. They paid herdes, why wouldn't they have to pay Watson. Again EaglesPride "EP" think they know something but in reality they know nothing.
              I think he meant a firing with cause, like if Watson gets caught cheating or an academic issue arises. Then you can terminate with cause and not pay in full. If there is a clause about wins and losses, I guess that would be possible. But what kind of idiot would sign a contract like that if you're a coach? As a UIndy fan, I am hoping USI is stuck with Watson another ten years!

Comment

Leave Dr. Sinn out of this discussion. Harper or Pearl? I say Pearl because of his early days at re-energizing USI basketball and the city of Evansville. Harper took over a dynasty at KWC. Pearl built one at USI. Yes, Harper overpowered Pearl in the later years, but it does not diminish what Pearl started at USI.
                I think you answered your own question, Pearl is a great at taking little and making it into a good program, Harper is a better coach, head to head record alone. I believe Pearl had gotten higher profile jobs because of his people skills. Both seem to have an unethical cloud that follows them around. I always thought Wayne Chapman was KWC best coach, but he would struggle in today's game because how demanding he was

Comment

Comment

Ray Harper played for Bremen High School in Muhlenburg County. He averaged 35 ppg his senior season. He transferred from Texas to KWC after the Texas head coach retired if I recall.

He was in my graduation class and I knew him. We talked to each other mostly because his high school played mine. The only thing Ray has less than Pearl is money, and Ray ain't poor anymore. He is a millionaire for sure.

He is entering his second season as Head Coach at Jacksonville State, and won the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament his first year there. That was the first time JSU played in any NCAA tournament.

Ray could be the best floor coach in college basketball today. He knows how to deal with players because he was a player.

We all have flaws. I know I do. Pearl is a good general manager, but his actual coaching abilities are not as good as Ray's. WKU will regret letting him go. He has won 4 National Titles as a coach, 2 NAIA D1, 2 NCAA D2. He wants to win a D1 championship and he just might depending on where he ends up. I'm not sure how many NCAA D1 Tournaments he has coached in without looking it up.

Ray Harper could land a huge job after JSU or he could stay on there and build a dynasty. He is 55 years old. We both graduated from high school in 1980 and he sit back right of me in 1985 at KWC, but I graduated in four years. I had to work a year coming out of high school and worked my way through college.

BTW, he was Wayne Chapman's assistant coach. So, he didn't inherit anything. He built everything. He never left KWC until that nightmare. Still, he did way more good than bad. Wayne Chapman knew Ray was a better coach than him. And, Wayne Chapman knows he is better than Bruce Pearl.

Comment

Pearl took over a dreadful UT program and elevated them to a #1 national rating and then an appearance in an elite 8. Harper hasn't accomplished a fraction of what Pearl has. There is no comparison between these two.

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                      Ray Harper played for Bremen High School in Muhlenburg County. He averaged 35 ppg his senior season. He transferred from Texas to KWC after the Texas head coach retired if I recall.

He was in my graduation class and I knew him. We talked to each other mostly because his high school played mine. The only thing Ray has less than Pearl is money, and Ray ain't poor anymore. He is a millionaire for sure.

He is entering his second season as Head Coach at Jacksonville State, and won the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament his first year there. That was the first time JSU played in any NCAA tournament.

Ray could be the best floor coach in college basketball today. He knows how to deal with players because he was a player.

We all have flaws. I know I do. Pearl is a good general manager, but his actual coaching abilities are not as good as Ray's. WKU will regret letting him go. He has won 4 National Titles as a coach, 2 NAIA D1, 2 NCAA D2. He wants to win a D1 championship and he just might depending on where he ends up. I'm not sure how many NCAA D1 Tournaments he has coached in without looking it up.

Ray Harper could land a huge job after JSU or he could stay on there and build a dynasty. He is 55 years old. We both graduated from high school in 1980 and he sit back right of me in 1985 at KWC, but I graduated in four years. I had to work a year coming out of high school and worked my way through college.

BTW, he was Wayne Chapman's assistant coach. So, he didn't inherit anything. He built everything. He never left KWC until that nightmare. Still, he did way more good than bad. Wayne Chapman knew Ray was a better coach than him. And, Wayne Chapman knows he is better than Bruce Pearl.

Comment

At the DII level Harper dominated Pearl...on the DI level Pearl has accomplished way more than Harper...those are facts.

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
                        Pearl took over a dreadful UT program and elevated them to a #1 national rating and then an appearance in an elite 8. Harper hasn't accomplished a fraction of what Pearl has. There is no comparison between these two.

Comment

Harper's career plateaud at the low mid major level. There is a reason for that. Taking all the necessary skills it takes to be a great head coach, Pearl is miles ahead of Ray.

Originally posted by WestSideMafia View Post
                          At the DII level Harper dominated Pearl...on the DI level Pearl has accomplished way more than Harper...those are facts.

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
                            Harper's career plateaud at the low mid major level. There is a reason for that. Taking all the necessary skills it takes to be a great head coach, Pearl is miles ahead of Ray.
                            Not to throw some water on the thread, but Harper left KWC in shambles after NCAA violations there and USI is the only place Pearl has ever coached where he wasn't caught in some kind of dirty dealing (emphasis on caught). Both have cultivated ties to folks who are known bad actors. If you were an NCAA AD, would you hire either of these guys to run your program? I think I'll pass.

Comment

USI loses again against ROCKHURST!!! Lol!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X