Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Film from the 1969 finals at Roberts Stadium.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film from the 1969 finals at Roberts Stadium.

Notice the crowds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPCjMI8enSQ Attendance12,132.

Re: Film from the 1969 finals at Roberts Stadium.

PS The good guys won. Just a little perspective of what some of us Wesleyan fans have experienced. What we are experiencing now is painful. Winning a regional at USI would help ease the pain.

Comment

Do you know the teams in these games?

Comment

Southwest Mo. , Ashland and Kentucky Wesleyan. Kentucky Wesleyan won the final to make 3 of 4 starting in 1966. Notice the crowd in Evansville for Ashland Ohio against SWMS. It was very special. Wesleyan beat Oglethorpe, American International and Southwest. I don't remember the rest of the field.

Comment

zzzz those days are gone, zapruder

Comment

Yes they are. Watching alot of games at the Eagles it is amazing how many emty seats there are in D1. We have the 2nd longest home winning streak in the country and only draw 1000.

Comment

Just curious, does the 62 mean something. Were you born in 62 or a Wesleyan grad from 62.

Comment

It's all top secret.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawson View Post
                  Just curious, does the 62 mean something. Were you born in 62 or a Wesleyan grad from 62.
                  Born in 56, Graduated Wesleyan in 84. Started late after 4 years in the Army. 101st/3/2nd ACR. Student assistant coach in 80-81. Recruited Drake, Higgs and Harper. I choose 62 because it was a great season, 21-4, turning down a bid to the "Evansville Invitational" hoping for a bid to the NIT. The schedule was D1.

Comment

My Dad graduated in 63, that's why I was curious.

Those early 80s teams you helped recruit are the main reason I'm still an obsessive KWC fan 30 years and 700 miles later.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wesleyan62;2007680]Born in 56, Graduated Wesleyan in 84. Started late after 4 years in the Army. 101st/3/2nd ACR. Student assistant coach in 80-81. Recruited Drake, Higgs and Harper. I choose 62 because it was a great season, 21-4, turning down a bid to the "Evansville Invitational" hoping for a bid to the NIT. The schedule was D1. Quote end.

Wesleyan turned down a bid to the NIT, while we were there, under Coach Pollio. He made the right decision. I got a sports briefing every morning, sitting two tables away from the head coaches and the faculty advisor in the SUB at Massey. Pollio was also the athletic director and was a star in Owensboro. His decision to play in the NCAA D2 tournament was prophetic in a sense, given the fact that he built the program into a national contender.

I'm glad they are bringing back the 87 team this season. Coach Pollio did a lot to get the program it's fifth championship. He hired Wayne Chapman. Pollio had four assistants win national championships. Tubby Smith, Wayne Chapman, Scotty Davenport, and Ray Harper.

Comment

I was just wondering if ole Gramps recruited John Worth too, and convince him away from the Purple Aces.

Now, I cannot verify this to be a fact - John Worth supposedly left UE because there was too much public pressure being placed on him as a player. He was not comfortable there. He made the right decision to play at Wesleyan, because he and his team was front and center in a photo on the Louisville Courier Journal's front page in 1987.

Comment

I will never forget that 1987 National Championship team. There was absolutely no media coverage for that game where I lived in Kentucky then. I had to wait until the next day and drive to the county seat in hopes that I could get the box score, and a photo of the team was on the CJ front page. I taped it to the wall and just stared at it for a year. JB Brown and John Worth were the two big names for me on that team. I gave JB a ride to practice at the Sportscenter one day in my Le Car. He could barely fit in it, but he was desperate to not be late because he knew Coach Pollio had zero tolerance for tardiness. That was a really smart team.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                            I was just wondering if ole Gramps recruited John Worth too, and convince him away from the Purple Aces.

Now, I cannot verify this to be a fact - John Worth supposedly left UE because there was too much public pressure being placed on him as a player. He was not comfortable there. He made the right decision to play at Wesleyan, because he and his team was front and center in a photo on the Louisville Courier Journal's front page in 1987.
                            No but I was close to pulling Kenny Perry from my high school South Spencer. Kenny was a Parade All American, 6' 11 that choose Evansville over Indiana and UCLA. We came in fourth and no one ever knew. He used to hang out at the Fraternity his Sr. year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X