Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLVC February 23 / GLVC First Round Thread

One game left in the regular season-- here's how the conference shapes up w/ tournament seedings:

1. 1E- Bellarmine (16-1) || BU has clinched a first-round bye and #1 seed.
    2. 1W- Quincy (13-4)
    3. 2E- Southern Indiana (15-2) || USI has clinched a first-round bye and the #3 seed.
    4. 2W- Truman State (12-5) || TSU holds tiebreak on UWP due to road win.
    ---
    5. 3E- UW-Parkside (12-5) || UWP holds tiebreak on UIndy due to H2H sweep
    6. 4E- Indianapolis (12-5)
    7. 5E- Lewis (11-6)
    8. 3W- Drury (10-7) || DU has clinched the No. 8 seed.
    ---
    9. 4W- Rockhurst (8-9) || RU has clinched the No. 9 seed.
    10. 5W- Missouri S&T (5-12) || MST holds tiebreak on SJC due to road win at TSU.
    11. 6E- Saint Joseph's (5-12)
    12. 6W- Missouri-St. Louis (4-13) || UMSL holds tiebreak on WJC due to divisional record.
    ---
    13. 7W- William Jewell (4-13)
    14. 8W- Maryville (3-14) || MU holds tiebreak on UIS due to road win.
    15. 7E- Illinois Springfield (3-14) || UIS holds tiebreak on MCK due to road win.
    16. 8E- McKendree (3-14)

Thursday, Feb. 23-
    Southern Indiana at Bellarmine (8pm ET/7pm CT)
    Quincy at Truman State (7:30 pm CT)
    Lewis at UW-Parkside (7:30 pm CT)
    Indianapolis at Saint Joseph's (7:30 pm CT)
    Drury at Missouri S&T (7:30 pm CT)
    Rockhurst at William Jewell (7:30 pm CT)
    Maryville at Missouri-St. Louis (7:30 pm CT)
    McKendree at Illinois Springfield (7:30 pm CT)

Re: GLVC February 23 / GLVC First Round Thread

"see you at the yard meat".

Comment

I started to project where each team could land, but the #2, 4, 5, 6, 7 tiebreakers are flat-out ugly this year.

Comment

Am I the only one who is bothered by the seeding/tiebreaking procedures used in the GLVC?
        First of all, the way there are two "divisions" just seems screwy these days when you only play half of your division home/away. The other half you play as frequently as the opposite division.

So when you start applying tiebreakers within divisions, I feel that "divisional record" is really a bad gauge, because everybody isn't being compared against the same body of work within your division. And you are better off losing to the worst team in the opposite division than the best team within your division because divisional record is the 2nd tiebreaker after head-to-head.

Second, I think that assigning the #1 and #2 seeds to the top in each division is screwy...but would make more sense if the first issue I brought up was addressed.

I guess the biggest problem is that 16 teams is too many to create a "fair" divisional system and play everybody.

(Note: this rant isn't because USI will lose the tiebreaker to BU...but based on observations on seeding over several years)

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
          Am I the only one who is bothered by the seeding/tiebreaking procedures used in the GLVC?
          First of all, the way there are two "divisions" just seems screwy these days when you only play half of your division home/away. The other half you play as frequently as the opposite division.

So when you start applying tiebreakers within divisions, I feel that "divisional record" is really a bad gauge, because everybody isn't being compared against the same body of work within your division. And you are better off losing to the worst team in the opposite division than the best team within your division because divisional record is the 2nd tiebreaker after head-to-head.

Second, I think that assigning the #1 and #2 seeds to the top in each division is screwy...but would make more sense if the first issue I brought up was addressed.

I guess the biggest problem is that 16 teams is too many to create a "fair" divisional system and play everybody.

(Note: this rant isn't because USI will lose the tiebreaker to BU...but based on observations on seeding over several years)
          The GLVC tiebreakers are, shall I say... cumbersome. The unbalanced scheduling I understand makes sense when it comes to figuring out fairness on H2H tiebreakers, and I 100% agree ... I don't know how you can declare a "divisional" champion when teams don't play the same set of teams the same number of times within the division. If anything, the way the schedule is set up, it really should be four pods of four. It's much more advantageous for teams like BU and USI when their travel partners (ie, 2x games) are McKendree & Illinois Springfield as opposed to Indianapolis and Saint Joseph's. Improves that divisional record and hurts UWP/LU who have extra chances at losses.

I would honestly like a schedule to be a double round-robin on each division to get a TRUE divisional champ, then play each team on the other side once each. 22 games, like the NSIC, allowing for six non-conference games. We don't need more USI vs. Bluefield State or KWC vs. Salem International games. (yes, I know KWC isn't in the GLVC, just making a point about the 1-2 games on most team's schedules that are there solely for blowout purposes).

For conference tourney, take the top-6 teams from each division and set it up like this:
          First Round-
          East 3 vs. West 6
          East 4 vs. West 5
          West 3 vs. East 6
          West 4 vs. East 5

Quarters:
          East 1 vs. West4/East5 winner
          West 2 vs. East3/West6 winner
          West 1 vs. East4/West5 winner
          East 2 vs. West3/East6 winner

Semis/Finals from there.
          Last edited by Tyler Madsen; 02-21-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I guess I might side on less conference games. Like play each team once. It makes it very difficult for teams like USI/BU to potentially end up playing four times. Like is it really fair if BU beats USI three times but ends up losing to them in the regional? This happens way too often.

Comment

who gives a cr@p about the glvc 'mini tourney'?

Comment

I feel like the glvc has attempted to address this by rotating who is grouped in which pods every two years since the pods were created...Because at one point it was USI/BU/uindy/sjc, which was a pretty tough pod. Before the pods we did play the whole division twice. I suppose next season it will be usi/BU/Lewis/uwp for two seasons, which is probably the toughest potential grouping in the entire league over this 6-year span.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherExpress View Post
                  I could tell you one person who doesn't, but the "mini tourney" has serious implications on the regionals in the glvc. In the GMAC, all you need to do is not get upset by a nobody and get your auto-bid.

Comment

WoD does

after 8 yrs and well over a million dollars of pay and bennies thats all he has to show.

Comment

Well, I'd say since that's the metric the GLVC uses to award its auto qualifier for the NCAA tournament, any team not named Bellarmine or Southern Indiana will care about it quite a bit to make sure it makes the NCAA tourney. So, 14 out of 16 league schools care, would be my guess.

Comment

If my calculations are correct...seeding is as follows:

1. BU
                        2. QU
                        3. USI
                        4. UWP
                        5. Indy (won at TSU)
                        6. TSU
                        7. Lewis
                        8. Drury
                        9. Rock
                        10. SJC (win over UWP)
                        11. S&T (loss to UWP)
                        12. UMSL (better div record than WJ)

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
                          If my calculations are correct...seeding is as follows:

1. BU
                          2. QU
                          3. USI
                          4. UWP
                          5. Indy (won at TSU)
                          6. TSU
                          7. Lewis
                          8. Drury
                          9. Rock
                          10. SJC (win over UWP)
                          11. S&T (loss to UWP)
                          12. UMSL (better div record than WJ)
                          So our first round matchups would be (assuming I got these right)

UMSL @ Undy
                          S&T @ Truman
                          St Joe @ Lewis
                          Rockhurst @ Drury

Comment

This season's earlier results for these matches - they all look to be very good games based on past results.

UMSL @ Undy - Indy won at UMSL 64-57 on Jan 5
                            S&T @ Truman - Missouri S&T won at Truman 96-91 on Jan 28
                            St Joe @ Lewis - Lewis lost at St Joe 68-70 on Feb 18, but St Joe lost at Lewis 78-90 on Dec 1
                            Rockhurst @ Drury - Rockhurst lost at Drury 68-70 on Jan 21

Comment

schnautza was spot-on with his tiebreaking predictions of the seeding, so here's the schedule for Sunday--

#9 Rockhurst at #8 Drury -- 2:00 (CT)
                              #12 UMSL at #5 Indianapolis -- 3:15 (ET) / 2:15 (CT)
                              #11 Missouri S&T at #6 Truman -- 3:00 (CT)
                              #10 Saint Joseph's at #7 Lewis -- 3:00 (CT)

As mentioned above, these should be some really good games. Only Truman is in the regional rankings currently, so it's technically win-or-go-home for the other seven; however, I'd think TSU would probably be in deep, deep trouble with two losses this week.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X