Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOU-WWU game this week: Time for Monmouth to wake up

The sleepy town of Monmouth over the years hasn't done a great job of supporting the only reason there is a town to begin with, Western Oregon University. The university was there first in 1856, then the town grew around it. The Rip Van Winkles in the town are satisfied to be a bedroom community of the boring/lately gang infested/drive-by shootings town of Salem, 15 miles away. Monmouth and Independence (the town that runs right into Monmouth) now totals more than 20K; much more than the 10K when I was in school many moons ago. Dallas, some 6 miles away from Monmouth, I believe is now at 16,000 residents. So amidst 6K students, 20K Monmouth-Independence residents (not sure if students are included in the census) and 16K in Dallas, I would hope they could get 2K for Thursday's huge gave vs. WWU.

WWU smacked WOU by nearly 30 points in the first game in Bellingham, since then the Wolves (25-1/No. 4 in the nation) have reeled off 18 straight wins. I saw WWU play -- they're damn good, tall, athletic, and great shooters. It would be nice to have the home court advantage here, instead of the 500 or so who often show up. OSU 20 miles away, is a lower-level Pac-12 team, not that great. Why not support the Wolves, Monmouth residents? You chose to live in the town, now support the local school. I get it, you have to dodge the bullets as you go through Salem on your way to and from work. You're stressed, or you can't find the campus four blocks from your house, or perhaps you're walking downtown as they roll up the sidewalks at 5 p.m., I'm not sure what Monmouthians do besides ignore the college in their town.

But time to wake up on Thursday. Support is needed.

Re: WOU-WWU game this week: Time for Monmouth to wake up

I realize I'm talking to myself here. Those Monmouth clowns don't know there's a D2 message board, let alone a 25-1 team in their backyard. Carry on, jackasses.

Comment

Ha ha ha. I think we have the same problem at Pomona. Hopefully you guys can pack the gym when u host in two weeks. I'm curious to get your thoughts on the regional rankings I posted in a previous thread. Seems like the committee favors the PAC west this year .

Comment

Regional rankings seem fair; 3 good teams in GNAC this year: WOU, St. Martin's, WWU. Guessing 2 GNAC to regionals.

Comment

To the athletic department's credit: They're promoting a red-out for the game and have a good online presence for the game. We'll see if the locals show up:

http://www.wouwolves.com

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X