Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAF search?

But as a coach, you recruit the players. When you recruit a kid with zero ties to the school or area, why should you be surprised when they leave?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGNAC View Post
      But as a coach, you recruit the players. When you recruit a kid with zero ties to the school or area, why should you be surprised when they leave?
      WWU's two transfers were both from Whatcom County, where Bellingham is located. That didn't help anything. Ties to an area has meant little in the past, the poor kids today frankly aren't tough enough. Read about the recent All-American prep basketball games, the top national recruits were called soft and had lack of effort by many of the nation's elite coaches. They said this was the laziest group yet.

This transcends to today's kids. The WWU guys weren't tough enough. They were playing WITH A TIE TO THE AREA, for a great program with a very good coach, and they weren't tough enough to stick it out and take the program to the next level.

* Correction, one of the two transfers is from Whatcom County.
      Last edited by tsull; 04-25-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

That's a little harsh....kids are immature. He also will be graduating this year, so will be a grad. transfer.

"Drechsel says he has drawn interest from about 10 division 1 schools."

Comment

That's a little harsh....kids are immature. He also will be graduating this year, so will be a grad. transfer.

"Drechsel says he has drawn interest from about 10 division 1 schools."
          People trash coaches all the time in today's world and give players a free pass for their transfers. I don't know why the basketball fan has wildly accepted this. I'm glad CWU Nation took on their departing point guard. MSU-Billings transfer probably cost their coach his job. Drechsel has the right to seek his D-1 spot, doesn't mean I agree with it. Guessing he still has nightmares of when NNU guard Obi Megwa took him to the rack time and time again last season. (Megwa is a guy who could play D-1, he actually has the quicks and the skill set.)

I'm more of the ol' PLU football coach Frosty Westering's theory, "Make the big time where you are." I'll use one example: For the 2nd straight year, WOU distance runner David Ribich is the nation's best miler. Not only is he the nation's best D2 miler, he's whipping up on University of Oregon runners, and UO has arguably the best track program in the country. Last week he ran the 14th best time in the world right now, beating two UO runners in the process at the Azusa Pacific meet. His times would allow him to transfer to any D-1 school in the country, but he's made the most of his time at WOU. Actually, I think he may have graduated last year and is now running as a grad student, I need to check that. Instead of doing the wimp-out basketball transfer deal -- which is ruining the sport -- he has made the most of it in Monmouth. He's already run in the national championships for pro and collegiate runners last year. He'll eventually be inducted into the WOU Hall of Fame the second he's eligible. I guess I see value in that.

Comment

If I was UAF, I'd make a run at Greg Sparling, former CWU coach. Proven winner, kids really liked him (which would be key in keeping kids in Alaska, IMO, and not transfering out), knows the conference, knows the recruiting venues, etc. Heck, why not? I think he'd do well there.

Comment

I would be shocked if Spar would take an Alaska job. I actually see LCSC being a better fit....and he'd be swapping jobs with the guy (Rinta) who replaced him.

Comment

I would be shocked if Spar would take an Alaska job. I actually see LCSC being a better fit....and he'd be swapping jobs with the guy (Rinta) who replaced him.
                I don't see LCSC doing that, it makes the school look bad to swap coaches and I've never heard of it. He might want to go to Alaska, but having grown up 30 miles from Lewiston, I can almost guarantee you LCSC would not make that move.

Comment

Alright guys. Time-out. Sparling isn't coming to Fairbanks. I'd lay a lot of money down on that. People just don't up and come to Fairbanks~it's not anywhere USA. Forgive me, but I don't think some of you understand exactly how different things are here. People that drop everything and come for a job with zero connections to this place and zero appreciation of the geographic place or winter stay about 2 or 3 years and then run as fast as they can away. UAF probably isn't chasing him either anyway. Sparling was a great coach and his players clearly loved him, but it was time to go. I tend to be on the side that Wildcat Nation is-he was great, but it was time for a different direction. It's unfortunate that Shebazz chose to transfer immediately, but typical of kids these days too.

On the WWU front, I also wonder why nobody is wondering if those kids are leaving because they want to win more and think they should be winning more in Bellingham? WWU is regularly seeping with the most talent in the GNAC, but not coached in a way that provides results on par with the talent level. Sure they win in the conference reasonably well most years, but considering their talent, they should be a lethal threat region-wide and they aren't. When you watch them play it's fun to admire the talent, but there is a reason why UAF regularly took them down in Fairbanks (with stray pups from the pound) and the reason is Durham gets his guys into an organized and effective system (X's & O's) and Dominguez doesn't, he just relies on talent. I think the reason Drechsel and Hommes are leaving has little do with a friend on the roster here or there or DI interest; it's because they are competitors and they expected to win at a high level and they aren't (at least this is what I think). Really, with Drechsel, Hommes, Jasinsky, Dickson and Shilder, how did they not make regionals? That is beyond me. Give those guys to Durham, and you've got a national championship squad.

I hear that UAF is going for the intensive search, not the quick hire (there aren't really any quick hires for Fairbanks anyways)... Want to find the right guy. It's April 26th UAF. At this point, it's really more interesting to be distracted by banter having little to do with the Nooks on here than it is to dwell on the dark reality of UAF ball right now.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                    Alright guys. Time-out. Sparling isn't coming to Fairbanks. I'd lay a lot of money down on that. People just don't up and come to Fairbanks~it's not anywhere USA. Forgive me, but I don't think some of you understand exactly how different things are here. People that drop everything and come for a job with zero connections to this place and zero appreciation of the geographic place or winter stay about 2 or 3 years and then run as fast as they can away. UAF probably isn't chasing him either anyway. Sparling was a great coach and his players clearly loved him, but it was time to go. I tend to be on the side that Wildcat Nation is-he was great, but it was time for a different direction. It's unfortunate that Shebazz chose to transfer immediately, but typical of kids these days too.

On the WWU front, I also wonder why nobody is wondering if those kids are leaving because they want to win more and think they should be winning more in Bellingham? WWU is regularly seeping with the most talent in the GNAC, but not coached in a way that provides results on par with the talent level. Sure they win in the conference reasonably well most years, but considering their talent, they should be a lethal threat region-wide and they aren't. When you watch them play it's fun to admire the talent, but there is a reason why UAF regularly took them down in Fairbanks (with stray pups from the pound) and the reason is Durham gets his guys into an organized and effective system (X's & O's) and Dominguez doesn't, he just relies on talent. I think the reason Drechsel and Hommes are leaving has little do with a friend on the roster here or there or DI interest; it's because they are competitors and they expected to win at a high level and they aren't (at least this is what I think). Really, with Drechsel, Hommes, Jasinsky, Dickson and Shilder, how did they not make regionals? That is beyond me. Give those guys to Durham, and you've got a national championship squad.

I hear that UAF is going for the intensive search, not the quick hire (there aren't really any quick hires for Fairbanks anyways)... Want to find the right guy. It's April 26th UAF. At this point, it's really more interesting to be distracted by banter having little to do with the Nooks on here than it is to dwell on the dark reality of UAF ball right now.
                    Great points, and I don't know Fairbanks. I also thought it was time to for CWU to make a move, their program had gotten stale, happens to a lot of programs. I don't know if he has that Mick Durham coaching gene in that coaches want to coach, be it in Fairbanks or Billings or wherever. A lot of coaches want to coach, that's why I tossed Sparling's name out there. He's edging towards retirement and he probably has one stop left. It was just a thought. Durham was willing to go to New Mexico State as an assistant, up to Fairbanks, and back home. He wants to coach. I'm not sure coach Sparling is wired that way either. I think he's a good guy; I think CWU needed a change.

I don't know enough about WWU other than I don't like them. :smile-big: I have fun with the rivalry type thing, which gets people mad here because D2 for some reason isn't supposed to have rivals or one isn't supposed to hate a team. Dominguez has had some good clubs and definitely has talent. I'm not sure why his two best guys bolted other than that's the climate of college basketball today. (Again, WOU started five four-year transfers this year.) I also find it interesting that Looney mines the GNAC for talent and the Puget Sound for preps when San Diego/SoCal has tons and tons of prep talent. Oh well, you do what you gotta do.

I hope UAF finds their guy. I know there are geographic struggles, but they did get a guy like Durham and kept him for awhile. Maybe there's another one out there.

Comment

They are too late in the game to be searching for a HC. I think they got totally blindsided by the Durham departure and didn't have a backup plan.

WWU didn't have a point guard this year to run their offense after Stafford left. Drechsel fell into that role most nights which was either really good or really bad and no middle ground. It usually ended badly against good teams. This team didn't like to play physical and when teams got in their face they crumbled in the second half of the season. This year's team was not a regional-caliber team.

UAF is not a destination job. It is a hockey school and Fairbanks is a tough sell to recruits. Guys with Durham's experience are rare who would want to go up there. IMO, the school's best route is to find an ambitious assistant who wants to be a HC while knowing that he may see success and leave in 3-4 years. But that is the life of any mid-major program.

Comment

IMO, the school's best route is to find an ambitious assistant who wants to be a HC while knowing that he may see success and leave in 3-4 years. But that is the life of any mid-major program.
                        This for sure, times a million. Tons of collegiate assistants at all levels are looking for that big break, be it in Fairbanks or anywhere. Head coaching jobs are hard to come by. Someone would take it, maybe leave after a few years as MrGnac said, so be it. Durham gave them seven good years, that was a great find. There are others to be found out there. As noted, one has to be willing to live in Alaska and talk his family into living in Alaska.

I've been really impressed with the coaching at the D2 level. I went to the west regional and every head coach I saw (IMO) would make a good D-1 coach. I'm guessing they each had savvy assistants, too. There are good people out there, just have to find them.

* I still chuckle at Montana State (and my stupid MSU Bobcat friend), who couldn't wait to dump Durham. They haven't returned to the NCAA since they fired him. He was their lifetime coach.

Comment

Hey, if UAF hired Sparling, they get his kid (good player) and possibly the talented/freshman of the year point guard. Just sayin' :laugh:

Comment

Sparling Jr. has signed with CSI. Shabazz is trying to go D1.

Comment

Sparling Jr. has signed with CSI. Shabazz is trying to go D1.
                              Good pick-up by CSI; wonder where Shabazz will land. WSU is the D-1 team I follow, they're horrific, but could use a point guard. He'd most likely make their roster since they're down to one incoming JC point guard transfer.

Comment

UAF finally gets a women's coach from the CCAA:

http://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/5...anookswbb.aspx

I wish her luck in transitioning to Fairbanks weather and taking over an 0-20 squad from last year. I am glad they found a fresh face with some experience. Now that we've got hockey and women's ball with coaches, let's find a men's coach.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X