Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Csla, uaa, uaf, & byu-h

These teams all played each other this last week with Fairbanks taking 2 shots at each of the Cali & HI teams and UAA playing each once.

I think CSLA is gonna make some noise in the CCAA this year. CCAA_fanatic better keep an eye on that for me. They played a great game last night in Fairbanks. They are big and deep at every position and they played really stingy defense and shot well. After watching them twice in person in a few days, and even not knowing or having seen anybody else in the CCAA, I'm just going to say, I think they'll do well. And if you're wondering where some of the Simon Fraser guys go when they leave, look at their starting line-up. Evans-Taylor had a hot night last Friday against Fairbanks.

BYU-H may have lost all 3 games to the Alaska schools, but they didn't roll over. This is their last year, no? Vancouver sophomore guard Tanner Nelson is a guy who every GNAC school should watch. He had huge games in Anchorage and he played super hard. It's a shame he didn't make all tourney team. Hope he lands in the GNAC next year. I'm gonna try to remember that name and figure it out down the road where he lands.

UAA held on and finished strong against CSLA. It was a good game. CSLA forced 19 UAA turnovers and had 8 steals, but ultimately lost the rebound game. Other stats were close, so those possessions proved valuable. I suspect the CSLA squad would love to play UAA again and try that again... UAA started looking their usual strong this night (I didn't stay for the whole BYU-H/UAA game).

UAF is making strides. They played pretty well last night and much better than they have~despite CSLA winning by more than their Friday night game, Fairbanks played lots better last night... Lots of sorting out happening right now. Two true (Alaskan) freshman collecting minutes and great energy make me very hopeful. They've got some good pieces, if not height and a great coach, so I think if they stay together and focused they will continue improve. Again; last nights game was super fun-great to be back in the Patty Center... I usually don't walk away from a loss having had so much fun.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving with family and friends and catch some good ball too!

Re: Csla, uaa, uaf, & byu-h

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    These teams all played each other this last week with Fairbanks taking 2 shots at each of the Cali & HI teams and UAA playing each once.

I think CSLA is gonna make some noise in the CCAA this year. CCAA_fanatic better keep an eye on that for me. They played a great game last night in Fairbanks. They are big and deep at every position and they played really stingy defense and shot well. After watching them twice in person in a few days, and even not knowing or having seen anybody else in the CCAA, I'm just going to say, I think they'll do well. And if you're wondering where some of the Simon Fraser guys go when they leave, look at their starting line-up. Evans-Taylor had a hot night last Friday against Fairbanks.
    LA is always interesting, and I think that Coach Saia will probably get that program moving in the right direction. They have visions of making a D1 transition (which I think is crazy), so I bet they are expecting results sooner rather than later. Should be interesting.

One caveat: I remember that Dominguez Hills beat Anchorage up there early last year, and then struggled the rest of the year. Time will tell if LA is for real!

Comment

True. Absolutely. Good point. I was impressed with them, but yeah, it takes a whole season of doing that, not just one weekend. They've got the pieces and parts it looks like and their coach seems to be getting them to do things, so we'll see if the grind of league play in a strong CCAA shows that they are good, on the cusp or mediocre...

Comment

Isn't this the last year of sports for BYU-H?

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          Isn't this the last year of sports for BYU-H?
          Yes

Comment

Originally posted by lv2hoop View Post
            Yes
            Which is insane.

I live in a heavy Mormon area and the one-month interest on the bank accounts of the Hawaii LDS stake (church term for region) would pay for all of BYU-Hawaii athletics and then some. The interest on the national church's bank accounts could fund the entire NCAA ... and I'm not joking. Members are "encouraged" to tithe 10 percent of their annual salary to the church. Most do so and many chip in more than 10 percent. The LDS church is swimming in money.

Comment

Looks like CSLA lost to Point Loma and APU this weekend. I think it's time to toss all early season predictions into the trash, huh?

Comment

BYU-H may have lost all 3 games to the Alaska schools, but they didn't roll over. This is their last year, no? Vancouver sophomore guard Tanner Nelson is a guy who every GNAC school should watch. He had huge games in Anchorage and he played super hard. It's a shame he didn't make all tourney team. Hope he lands in the GNAC next year. I'm gonna try to remember that name and figure it out down the road where he lands.
                I saw on VC that Tanner Nelson is transferring to Point Loma from the now defunct BYU-H program. This will mean he has to sit for a year, no (not sure if there is an exception to having to sit a year if you transfer within conference if you're transferring from a program no longer existing...)?

Darn. He was fun to watch. I was sorta hoping he would see the Alaska - Hawaii similarities and want to try Fairbanks for a couple years, but it appears he would rather stay in the warmer regions of the West Region.

Comment

I saw on VC that Tanner Nelson is transferring to Point Loma from the now defunct BYU-H program. This will mean he has to sit for a year, no (not sure if there is an exception to having to sit a year if you transfer within conference if you're transferring from a program no longer existing...)?

Darn. He was fun to watch. I was sorta hoping he would see the Alaska - Hawaii similarities and want to try Fairbanks for a couple years, but it appears he would rather stay in the warmer regions of the West Region.
                  He doesn't have to sit because his program was (foolishly) eliminated in Hawaii.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X