Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The recruiting class that didn't show up

Friend of mine and I were chuckling about the transient world of D2 basketball the other day, transfers, no-shows etc., after it occurred to me that WOU's entire spring recruiting class didn't make it to campus.

The 6-5 JC from Phoenix -- not on the roster.

The 6-10 University of San Francisco transfer -- nowhere to be found.

The 6-8 skinny prep from Nyssa, Oregon -- no show, at least not on the roster.

Now, to the program's credit, there are some new guys they must have picked up over the summer who are doing well. It's difficult to track all this.

Re: The recruiting class that didn't show up

Well, they got one of the missing 3 back in Emmanuel Gant, a JC guy, who just signed; as did a good 6-7 small school prep from down the road:

https://wouwolves.com/news/2018/11/2...-signings.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
      Well, they got one of the missing 3 back in Emmanuel Gant, a JC guy, who just signed; as did a good 6-7 small school prep from down the road:

https://wouwolves.com/news/2018/11/2...-signings.aspx
      I'd be interested to know what happened to those guys. It was obviously far along if the school would send out a press release.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGNAC View Post
        I'd be interested to know what happened to those guys. It was obviously far along if the school would send out a press release.
        I couldn't find Poulsen (6-10 USF/D-1 transfer) on the internet. The 6-8 prep from Nyssa, Oregon, I was high on. His name is Boston Thompson, again, couldn't find him on the internet. He -- like Gant (who will play next year) -- was a fine QB. Gant threw for 10,000 yards in high school and played JC football, too.

I found former players Akil Reese at CS Montery Bay, Ryan Lacey at George Fox, and Tristan Miguel, at Highline Community College. It's a transfer world out there, 40% of D-1 players transferred last year.

Reese was a guy who had star potential, wish he was still there. Lacey and Miguel redshirted, which I think many small college guys don't want to do. I hope people find places to land and fulfill their college athletics dreams, and if not, find their way successfully in life.

I've noticed schools won't put out press releases on guys who don't show up or also transfer out.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          I couldn't find Poulsen (6-10 USF/D-1 transfer) on the internet. The 6-8 prep from Nyssa, Oregon, I was high on. His name is Boston Thompson, again, couldn't find him on the internet. He -- like Gant (who will play next year) -- was a fine QB. Gant threw for 10,000 yards in high school and played JC football, too.

I found former players Akil Reese at CS Montery Bay, Ryan Lacey at George Fox, and Tristan Miguel, at Highline Community College. It's a transfer world out there, 40% of D-1 players transferred last year.

Reese was a guy who had star potential, wish he was still there. Lacey and Miguel redshirted, which I think many small college guys don't want to do. I hope people find places to land and fulfill their college athletics dreams, and if not, find their way successfully in life.

I've noticed schools won't put out press releases on guys who don't show up or also transfer out.
          I know you have a thing about transfers, but you seem to be overstating the statistics. There are 351 D1 universities with BB programs IIRC, that are each allowed 13 scholarship players - that is 4563 players. Last year there were 875 transfers or 19%. Note that there are quite a number who have graduated and choose to play at a new university while getting a masters degree. There are also walk-ons included in that number. It is difficult to give more than 8 or 9 guys significant playing time, so a team losing 2 to 3 players a year on average is not too surprising. In addition to playing time, academic performance or lack thereof and disciplinary matters also play a role.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post
            I know you have a thing about transfers, but you seem to be overstating the statistics. There are 351 D1 universities with BB programs IIRC, that are each allowed 13 scholarship players - that is 4563 players. Last year there were 875 transfers or 19%. Note that there are quite a number who have graduated and choose to play at a new university while getting a masters degree. There are also walk-ons included in that number. It is difficult to give more than 8 or 9 guys significant playing time, so a team losing 2 to 3 players a year on average is not too surprising. In addition to playing time, academic performance or lack thereof and disciplinary matters also play a role.
            National media running with the 40%. Maybe they mean of all D1 players, 40% have transferred. WOU has made a living off it, so I'm rather hypocritical, too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X