Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC play begins!

It's the first week and the match-ups are pretty interesting this week, I think. Might as well binge on it as after this week it all quiets down for a while with cup-cake games and for some a long, gameless stretch (Nooks go from 12/8 - 1/3 without a game...). This place has been pretty dead this November and I'm not a fan of talking to myself, so this is my last shot at drumming up interest till the chatter gets going more. Here's what is on slate this week:

Tuesday:

UAF @ MSUB - Could be interesting for those who follow the Nooks as they will be matching up against their previous coach. Emotional? Maybe, probably not too much so, but the boys who played for Durham need to go in with heads screwed on straight and not try to do anything silly. Both teams have struggled early on with brand new coaches, but MSUB is on their home floor. MSUB seems to have about 6 guys that they rely on to get it done night in and night out, while UAF has a lot more players who have lit it up on different nights and the starting line-up continues to evolve, so they may be a little harder to prep for as far as focusing on just a few players. Durham will know what his previous guys like to do and the Nooks will know what Durham likes to do. Maybe interesting, maybe kinda sloppy....

Thursday:

CWU @ SMU - Could be a great game. CWU is looking as predicted, pretty goodish. SMU has had a dynamite win and a bunch of other blue collar wins, but maybe not as dominating as their dynamite win hinted at... SMU has a ton of returners and a good coach while CWU is getting used to their new coach, so with the home court advantage, SMU is probably strongly favored. I think it might be a close one?

NNU @ SPU - So NNU is eyeballing a lot better than predicted early season and SPU is eyeballing not quite as hot as all their pre-season polls (it's way too early for me to say "told ya so", but I'm so tempted). Could be a great game too.

SFU @ WOU - Simon Fraser seems to be making steady progress and might not be the punching bag for GNAC schools this year, so it could be closer than one would think based on the last few years for these two schools.

WWU @ CU-P - Probably the least interesting game slated for Thursday.

Saturday:

UAA @ MSUB - While this game might not have the same emotional weight as the UAF @ MSUB game; I know first hand how much Durham despises the UAA entourage and he had such a hard time with them as UAF's coach only winning one game against them in 7 years at UAF... This one could be more emotional for him than Tuesdays game. In fact, I think he'd find more satisfaction in spanking UAA than he would UAF. I will certainly be cheering for that outcome (although I really like watching Travis Adams and would happily cheer for any kid from Utqiagvik, Alaska).

CWU @ SPU - Another interesting one. Go CWU!

NNU @ SMU - Another interesting one...

WWU @ WOU - Two schools who hang in the upper crust of the GNAC in recent years. Could be really interesting, for sure... Just trying to find a different way to say "another interesting one"...

SFU @ CU-P - Maybe not so interesting???

Re: GNAC play begins!

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    It's the first week and the match-ups are pretty interesting this week, I think. Might as well binge on it as after this week it all quiets down for a while with cup-cake games and for some a long, gameless stretch (Nooks go from 12/8 - 1/3 without a game...). This place has been pretty dead this November and I'm not a fan of talking to myself, so this is my last shot at drumming up interest till the chatter gets going more. Here's what is on slate this week:

Tuesday:

UAF @ MSUB - Could be interesting for those who follow the Nooks as they will be matching up against their previous coach. Emotional? Maybe, probably not too much so, but the boys who played for Durham need to go in with heads screwed on straight and not try to do anything silly. Both teams have struggled early on with brand new coaches, but MSUB is on their home floor. MSUB seems to have about 6 guys that they rely on to get it done night in and night out, while UAF has a lot more players who have lit it up on different nights and the starting line-up continues to evolve, so they may be a little harder to prep for as far as focusing on just a few players. Durham will know what his previous guys like to do and the Nooks will know what Durham likes to do. Maybe interesting, maybe kinda sloppy....

Thursday:

CWU @ SMU - Could be a great game. CWU is looking as predicted, pretty goodish. SMU has had a dynamite win and a bunch of other blue collar wins, but maybe not as dominating as their dynamite win hinted at... SMU has a ton of returners and a good coach while CWU is getting used to their new coach, so with the home court advantage, SMU is probably strongly favored. I think it might be a close one?

NNU @ SPU - So NNU is eyeballing a lot better than predicted early season and SPU is eyeballing not quite as hot as all their pre-season polls (it's way too early for me to say "told ya so", but I'm so tempted). Could be a great game too.

SFU @ WOU - Simon Fraser seems to be making steady progress and might not be the punching bag for GNAC schools this year, so it could be closer than one would think based on the last few years for these two schools.

WWU @ CU-P - Probably the least interesting game slated for Thursday.

Saturday:

UAA @ MSUB - While this game might not have the same emotional weight as the UAF @ MSUB game; I know first hand how much Durham despises the UAA entourage and he had such a hard time with them as UAF's coach only winning one game against them in 7 years at UAF... This one could be more emotional for him than Tuesdays game. In fact, I think he'd find more satisfaction in spanking UAA than he would UAF. I will certainly be cheering for that outcome (although I really like watching Travis Adams and would happily cheer for any kid from Utqiagvik, Alaska).

CWU @ SPU - Another interesting one. Go CWU!

NNU @ SMU - Another interesting one...

WWU @ WOU - Two schools who hang in the upper crust of the GNAC in recent years. Could be really interesting, for sure... Just trying to find a different way to say "another interesting one"...

SFU @ CU-P - Maybe not so interesting???
    Great takes, Northern, thanks. I still think St. Martin's is the team to beat, the win at Point Loma (though in front of 300 fans = no home court Lions advantage) was impressive.

Not sure what to think of WOU just yet, splitting at Dixie, losing to Dixie on Saturday. Big D-1 transfer post not showing up has made them significantly shorter this year than other years. Good guard play, however.

I'm intrigued by NNU this year (wish they played at home this week) ... they often tease me and fade down the stretch. Beating Idaho and hanging with Portland State is impressive. They have some good talent this year, again, I'm in the show-me mode.

For some reason I think this is SPU coach Leep's breakout year, even without Miller ... oops, that might bring back our resident D2 basher/D-1 transfer back to the board, sorry! :laugh:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X