Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNAC Saturday games

Some great games this week ...

The CWU-SPU contest is usually a battle, both dropped openers and need victories here. Hopefully a quality SPU crowd with a lot of CWU fans, too, shows up. Too often the Falcons have put a good product on the court only to have a few hundred show up ... this is also a Division I problem, by the way.

NNU vs. St. Martin's: Blockbuster game and game of the week, IMO. NNU undefeated, St. Martin's pre-season conference favorite. I'd love to be at this one, will try and stream it along with the WOU game.

WOU vs. WWU: I'm a WOU alum as well as a noted WWU hater, so this is a biggie for me. I may loathe WWU, but I respect them and this will be a tough game for both teams. Again, another blockbuster early conference matchup.

SFU vs. Concordia: Two teams trying to find their way. I always have hope for Concordia, but they seem to stumble around a bit. I've been trashed pretty bad on the football board by an SFU fan, so I'll refrain comments on them right now.

UAF doesn't play this week? Odd.

UAA vs. MSU-Billings ... Two contenders this year? We'll find out.

Re: GNAC Saturday games

Hey. UAF already played MSUB on Tuesday this week. Lost by 3. MSUB was up by a lot, but UAF reeled em back in twice, took the lead late, then MSUB hit like four 3s in a row and there wasn't enough time left for UAF to get all the way back in it, although they were down by 2 with the ball at the buzzer, took a nice 3 pointer to win, and missed, then fouled on the rebound for the final margin as MSUB hit 1 of 2 FTs. Good game. Emotional I think for Kluting who played under Durham for the last 2 seasons; longer than anyone else travelling to Billings. Mick's new team played good. They were hot from 3 and they have some good potential in forwards Richmond, Howard, and Newbern. They still tend to cough it up a lot with turnovers and that was how UAF got back in it. I was surprised to see Green, their PG get player of the week last week, when he had more turnovers than assists... He played great on Tuesday though (perhaps they should have waited until this week to give him POTW)... Overall, I'm pleased with how far UAF has come since the opening games; they are going to have to be good at grinding this year and going for blue collar working hard wins... MSUB looks like they have potential for some big games, but it also looks like consistency might be a challenge for them.

*Note, Anchorage had a huge earthquake today (I don't cheer for you guys, but I do hope you all are safe). Saw on their twitter feed that they took off for Billings 5 mins before the quake hit, so the game should go on. Sounds like there is a lot of damage in Anchorage... Don't know how things may affect athletics; I'm sure that is low on the list of things to figure out down there right now.

*Yes, lots of great games tomorrow. Looking forward to NNU & SMU!

Comment

Great report, Northern, thanks. Sounded like a good game in Billings.

Hope our Anchorage fans are doing well, stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
        Great report, Northern, thanks. Sounded like a good game in Billings.

Hope our Anchorage fans are doing well, stay safe!
        Thanks for the thoughts. The area took some hits with damages to roads and schools, but we will recover quickly. Hoops will be a good diversion from all of the clean up efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by lv2hoop View Post
          Thanks for the thoughts. The area took some hits with damages to roads and schools, but we will recover quickly. Hoops will be a good diversion from all of the clean up efforts.
          Saw some pictures of the roads, wow. So glad no fatalities.

Comment

Great opening week! SMU holds off NNU, SFU gets by Concordia, both of those games being very close. WOU needs 2OT to get by WWU, while MSUB wins pretty big over UAA and SPU pretty big over CWU...

Gotta think that Durham is super pleased with opening week for his new team in Billings; he gets by his old team in a close one, but with grace and he gets a win over UAA... After being in Fairbanks for 7 years, he had one win over UAA while here and he's already evened that in his new school... So, things come easier when in Montana for him. I'm really liking Richmond (soph), Howard (R-frosh), and M. Newbern (jr) as forwards for MSUB. Rollins and Green are good too, but pretty undisciplined at moments-but hey, it's early. Happy for him and his team, but admittedly feel a little left behind and I definitely wanted the Nooks to get that one on Tuesday... Trying to warm up to Sparling and am seeing some semblance of identity and system, so that's good, but wish the coaching staff would leave picking up all the technicals to Rusty and UAA; it just doesn't help. Will be eager to see the UAF/UAA game this Saturday here... It's remained a puzzle over Durham's tenure to get wins against the Seawolves, so it'll be real interesting to see how Sparling can get the Nooks ready and tactically prepared for that one... Both teams will be really hungry to get a league win before going into an almost month break till they play again.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X