Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's get it rollin again!

Looks like another fun week of basketball is upon us, followed by (finally) the season, week in and week out, without interruption! Yessss. Finally.

The PacWest looks like they are gonna lay quiet with just some cupcakes till next year and then CBU lands in Hawaii for a showdown with HPU. Should/could be interesting with both teams sporting really good records, largely on their respective home floors. CBU far from home, but a strong favorite in most parts for making the NCAA tourney and even hosting the regional (but let's not get ahead of ourselves now!). HPU still not venturing far from home, but will they continue to defend their home court? KTodd better give us the low-down on this game, cause I can't recommend paying the fee to watch that one on the video feed after my experience when the Alaska schools were there to open the season!

The CCAA looks to be loaded with a lot of interesting games, highlighted by the New Year's Even showdown of San Francisco State @ Chico. A lot of their other games between the 29th and the 31st look interesting, because like the GNAC, there seems to be a lot of parity and a lot of potential for knocking off each other in the CCAA on any given night.

The GNAC looks interesting this week with Saint Martin's and SPU in Alaska and CWU @ WOU. The GNAC still looks like a convoluted mess of a transition year to me. Almost everybody exited non-con play looking pretty messy. Almost nobody has the non-con record that would allow them to have an off week in conference play and still hope for an at large bid to the regional. But, all the same, a messy, transition year could still be really fun till late February. Either way, to have SMU and SPU in Alaska this week will mean big implications for all four of those teams (they all come in 1-1 in conference, will they all leave 2-2?). SPU swept the Alaska schools at home last year and I'm sure UAA and UAF would like to stop that trend, SMU knocked off Anchorage in Anchorage last year and so on and so forth. I'm pretty sure SMU comes back strong from the break. The other three teams seem a little less predictable this year... CWU @ WOU could be a real fun one too. CWU looks comfortable in their game, WOU not so much. But those things could change now. WOU only has one player on their active roster who had a lot of minutes last year (Omlid). Their bigs that played last year played really limited roles with limited minutes. All of their returners that played big game minutes last year appear on their roster without numbers, looking like they are redshirting. Would be nice if Omlid had a few of those guys on the floor helping to steady the boat a bit, but you never know why they are redshirting versus playing and it's probably easier for us to criticize than it is to understand the "whys" of those decisions. Anyways... The NNU, Concordia, MSUB games could be interesting too as all those teams seem better this year too, making things even more interesting...

What's everyone else thinkin?

Re: Let's get it rollin again!

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    Looks like another fun week of basketball is upon us, followed by (finally) the season, week in and week out, without interruption! Yessss. Finally.

The PacWest looks like they are gonna lay quiet with just some cupcakes till next year and then CBU lands in Hawaii for a showdown with HPU. Should/could be interesting with both teams sporting really good records, largely on their respective home floors. CBU far from home, but a strong favorite in most parts for making the NCAA tourney and even hosting the regional (but let's not get ahead of ourselves now!). HPU still not venturing far from home, but will they continue to defend their home court? KTodd better give us the low-down on this game, cause I can't recommend paying the fee to watch that one on the video feed after my experience when the Alaska schools were there to open the season!

The CCAA looks to be loaded with a lot of interesting games, highlighted by the New Year's Even showdown of San Francisco State @ Chico. A lot of their other games between the 29th and the 31st look interesting, because like the GNAC, there seems to be a lot of parity and a lot of potential for knocking off each other in the CCAA on any given night.

The GNAC looks interesting this week with Saint Martin's and SPU in Alaska and CWU @ WOU. The GNAC still looks like a convoluted mess of a transition year to me. Almost everybody exited non-con play looking pretty messy. Almost nobody has the non-con record that would allow them to have an off week in conference play and still hope for an at large bid to the regional. But, all the same, a messy, transition year could still be really fun till late February. Either way, to have SMU and SPU in Alaska this week will mean big implications for all four of those teams (they all come in 1-1 in conference, will they all leave 2-2?). SPU swept the Alaska schools at home last year and I'm sure UAA and UAF would like to stop that trend, SMU knocked off Anchorage in Anchorage last year and so on and so forth. I'm pretty sure SMU comes back strong from the break. The other three teams seem a little less predictable this year... CWU @ WOU could be a real fun one too. CWU looks comfortable in their game, WOU not so much. But those things could change now. WOU only has one player on their active roster who had a lot of minutes last year (Omlid). Their bigs that played last year played really limited roles with limited minutes. All of their returners that played big game minutes last year appear on their roster without numbers, looking like they are redshirting. Would be nice if Omlid had a few of those guys on the floor helping to steady the boat a bit, but you never know why they are redshirting versus playing and it's probably easier for us to criticize than it is to understand the "whys" of those decisions. Anyways... The NNU, Concordia, MSUB games could be interesting too as all those teams seem better this year too, making things even more interesting...

What's everyone else thinkin?
    Great post, Northern, time to rev it up with conference play in the GNAC this week. I can only comment on what I've seen live and what I've watched live on the internet, and a little from what I've read online. Outside the GNAC -- not my specialty -- I really like SF State and Cal Baptist, two killer teams with talent and it appears chemistry.

Regarding the GNAC, I've seen live NNU vs. Alaska-Anchorage, an NNU win. The Crusaders have size and talent this year, will they put it together? Possibly. I work in Nampa, live in Boise, so I'll catch a lot of games this year. UAF handed it to NNU, however, two nights before the UAA game. Anchorage has talent, but (IMO) a suspect bench.

Regarding WOU, as you noted, Omlid the only significant returner and the injury loss to Alex Roth was enormous, bigger than I thought. Roth could do something few on this year's team can do and that's shoot the basketball beyond the arc. Now most of the WOU newbies think they can shoot it there, but right now they can't and they're clanking is killing them. I'd like to see coach Shaw come up with one or two solid starting lineups and rotations and go from there, and play some of the big guys more. Well, that's my fan opinion.

Oh yeah, saw MSU-B dismantle WOU in Montana, they can shoot it a bit. I haven't seen CWU play, but they have some huge wins and some excellent newcomers. They're my dark horse team to win it this year. WWU is loaded; doesn't appear to play much defense. UAF sounds very good and SPU is always lurking around the top of the standings. Should be a fun year. For me? Not sure, WOU doesn't have the magical team chemistry/togetherness they had the last two/three seasons. I should've expected a drop-off, I just really enjoyed how the last two Wolves teams played team basketball on both sides of the floor. This team is still learning and growing.

Comment

Will do my best, sounds like the feed will be an issue re CBU and HPU. I also usually receive a pretty accurate report from #10, he's pretty honest! I did fly down to watch them play Fresno Pacific and Cal St Marcos. Kudos to Fresno, down 23 at half and fought like champs to get back into it. Vs Cal St Marcos, CBU jumped out again to a big half-time lead and basically cruised. 5 guys in double figures. Need those upcoming road trips to really test them. The best to ALL of you as we wind up the year, appreciate the banter and opinions.

Comment

I was so hoping KTodd would say he was going to be Hawaii for the game!!! Anyways-good luck on the video feed; perhaps it's improved a bit since the season opened. Bottom line is that if I had kids and they played basketball (double gasp) I would pay the fee and watch, no matter how bad it is!

Yeah-Happy New Year to all of you too. The most exciting thing to go down in Alaska this week may be the vicious storm that is supposed to be bearing down on mainland Alaska starting this afternoon. Good thing teams fly from Anch-Fairbanks and vice versa, cause driving is going to be a nightmare. They are predicting a lot of power outages in interior Alaska with this storm, so hopefully no games get affected by it and the SMU and SPU teams can have a little fun in stormy Alaska this weekend (fun, not wins!)...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X