Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBU @ HPU

Well I paid the $7.95 for the feed, the somewhat questionable feed at times, but nevertheless I watched Cal Baptist play at Hawaii Pacific. A nice 80-70 road win for the Lancers in one of those big multi-purpose facilities that honestly doesn't give HP much of a home-court advantage. The Blaisdell Center seats 6-7k people but a guess is a few hundred were there. Definitely have to be self-motivated because you don't receive much energy from the crowd.

Lancers led throughout, up 43-34 at half, and extended it to 16 early in the 2nd. Credit those Sharks though, they fought back and actually took the lead 60-59. Back to back 3's by CBU and it stayed around that 6-8 point margin the rest of the way. Good test for both squads, HP shoots a lot of 3's and I think this may have been their first legit team that got after them defensively.

CBU led by Michael Smith with 28, Jordan Heading with 20, Kalidou Diouf with 12 and a plug for Jason who played all 40, had 8 boards, 7 points and 3 blocks.
    HP had 3 guys in double figures - Orr, Looney and DeFreitas. CBU had a 39-27 advantage on the boards, shot 15-16 from the line. HP was 10-17.

Quality game, they meet again in Riverside in February.

Re: CBU @ HPU

Originally posted by KTodd View Post
    Well I paid the $7.95 for the feed, the somewhat questionable feed at times, but nevertheless I watched Cal Baptist play at Hawaii Pacific. A nice 80-70 road win for the Lancers in one of those big multi-purpose facilities that honestly doesn't give HP much of a home-court advantage. The Blaisdell Center seats 6-7k people but a guess is a few hundred were there. Definitely have to be self-motivated because you don't receive much energy from the crowd.

Lancers led throughout, up 43-34 at half, and extended it to 16 early in the 2nd. Credit those Sharks though, they fought back and actually took the lead 60-59. Back to back 3's by CBU and it stayed around that 6-8 point margin the rest of the way. Good test for both squads, HP shoots a lot of 3's and I think this may have been their first legit team that got after them defensively.

CBU led by Michael Smith with 28, Jordan Heading with 20, Kalidou Diouf with 12 and a plug for Jason who played all 40, had 8 boards, 7 points and 3 blocks.
    HP had 3 guys in double figures - Orr, Looney and DeFreitas. CBU had a 39-27 advantage on the boards, shot 15-16 from the line. HP was 10-17.

Quality game, they meet again in Riverside in February.
    Great report, I still think CBU (or SF State) is the team to beat in the West.

Yes, it's cool that the Hawaii schools play D2 hoops, yet those crowds, ouch! Western Oregon played Hilo or HPU a couple years ago in front of 40 people. I understand the distractions of the beach, just think Hawaii isn't much into school spirit and attending games, though BYU-Hawaii or someone had a really great team a few years ago.

Nice balance by CBU; your son is playing very well.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
      Great report, I still think CBU (or SF State) is the team to beat in the West.
      Chico knocked off San Francisco State on New Year's Eve, so I think everyone in the West has taken a loss now (CBU, SFS, WWU, & HPU I think were the last remaining holdouts)...

Yeah, great report. Sounds like a good win.

Comment

Just want to get my prediction of record that I think Chaminade will beat CBU tonight. Just think they will match up well, and the Silverswords play well at home.

Comment

CBU wins 65-61, tough road win.

Comment

CBU won 88-76. 9:30 start time in the PNW, and just "Live Stats". Love following live stats ha!

Chaminade had 4 guys plays 36 minutes or more, the other 27, so not much from their bench. 5 points total in fact. As a team, they hit 11 3's and all 5 starters were in double figures. CBU also had 5 guys in double figures, including a big contribution from Sac St. transfer Mason Stuteville, who had 10 points and 5 boards in 22 minutes. Solid stuff from CBU starters, 18-20 from the line was also huge. Big man Kali Diouf only played 6 minutes due to an aggravating injury, it was great to see Mason and freshman Dejon Davis (6-6 ft) provide productive depth.

Two conference wins on the road always makes for a great trip back. CBU visits Azuza on Thur, hosts Concordia on Sat.

Comment

Originally posted by KTodd View Post
              CBU won 88-76. 9:30 start time in the PNW, and just "Live Stats". Love following live stats ha!
              Live stats stink. Sometimes I find myself missing the good old radio broadcasts for listening to your team on the road. A lot of the internet streams are getting to be a little too fancy for my medium speed internet here at home and then you have to suffer through all those pauses and that's painful too. Maybe that is archaic but it was free and reliable! Glad you and CCAA_fanatic are giving us updates from the PacWest & CCAA this year. We're missing some folks on here from last season that were fun to hear from (ahem... anybody?). Was the GNAC contingent really that painful last season on the boards here (yeah, we were kinda pains in the rear end... I think CCAA_fanatic was nice enough to just comment on our "passion"-ha ha).

Comment

Live stats tripped me up on the final score. It had first half, second half, and "F" for final score, so I clicked off. The game wasn't done.

I like live stats and live video, but also like the radio. I haven't yet paid for a D2 game, but it seems like a lot of the CCAA and PacWest schools charge.

Comment

Oh, don't worry. Some of us are still here. Just looking for something positive to talk about on the APU front as the men have clearly taken a step back and the women brought back only one of their top nine players from last season. It's been a learning experience, but hopefully it'll bear fruit down the road. The Cougars are making their final visit to BYUH as I speak, host CBU Thursday. That'll be a real challenge.

Comment

Glad to know you are still around! Yeah, looks like APU is having a rollercoaster ride too. Wins over WOU and Dixie must've shown some potential though. Is it a young group of new guys?

Just wondering out loud if, as you said, your team is down in the dumps, are you supposed to not say so much here? If I'm supposed to follow your lead, then I should be deadly silent. I think as classy as your posts are, I probably am not suited to follow your lead on this one... Good luck against CBU! Be optimistic about the future. It's way more fun to be an optimist!

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                      Glad to know you are still around! Yeah, looks like APU is having a rollercoaster ride too. Wins over WOU and Dixie must've shown some potential though. Is it a young group of new guys?

Just wondering out loud if, as you said, your team is down in the dumps, are you supposed to not say so much here? If I'm supposed to follow your lead, then I should be deadly silent. I think as classy as your posts are, I probably am not suited to follow your lead on this one... Good luck against CBU! Be optimistic about the future. It's way more fun to be an optimist!
                      Don't worry about it. Say what you want. That's what makes it interesting around here. I still sit here putting all three conference standings on an Excel spreadsheet so I can have those "if the season ended today" brackets ready to go. First time I'd be putting those in writing with APU not involved. Or the CCAA bracket without Pomona. Rough year for Cal Poly as well.

Comment

It is difficult to get to the top and stay there. You can count on one hand the programs that are always finishing at or near first place in these 3 leagues. It comes down to coaching (obviously) and then you have to have other things fall into place with your roster in order to win 20 plus games and advance to the regional tourney. It's arguable that 80 percent of the equation is coaching and program building, recruiting etc. You don't see any programs just accidentally materialize overnight and become good.

Comment

Originally posted by lv2hoop View Post
                          It is difficult to get to the top and stay there. You can count on one hand the programs that are always finishing at or near first place in these 3 leagues. It comes down to coaching (obviously) and then you have to have other things fall into place with your roster in order to win 20 plus games and advance to the regional tourney. It's arguable that 80 percent of the equation is coaching and program building, recruiting etc. You don't see any programs just accidentally materialize overnight and become good.
                          Great post, and when top players like Leaf and Avgi leave, there's going to be growing pains. It appears SPU's magic has worn off some, though I never count them out. They have a great program, even if the city of Seattle isn't paying attention.

Your quote is why I'm not for wholesaling JC/4-year transfer recruiting. I'm for signing some JC's and getting some 4-year transfers, obviously that needs to be done. But I'm still convinced the really good consistent programs build with prep signees, who stay in the program 4/5 years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X