Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will WWU make the GNAC tourney at its own gym?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will WWU make the GNAC tourney at its own gym?

Getting that time of year. The GNAC tourney is in Bellingham this year. UAA and MSUB sit tied for 5th at 8-8, the last two spots. WWU now sits in a tie for 7th at 6-9 with SFU, 1.5 games back of UAA and MSUB. WWU and SFU have the same remaining schedule - a game against each other at SFU, WOU and Concordia at home, and the Alaska teams on the road.

Of the teams tied for 5th, UAA has the major advantage of 4 home games against teams with a equal or worse record. However, these games are against MSUB, WWU and SFU, who are going to be fighting for a tourney spot, and UAF which is a rivalry game. Would hope UAA wins out but I give that about a 30% chance. MSUB has 4 road games (St. Martins, SPU, the Alaska schools). Since MSUB is currently 1-8 on the road or neutral courts, anything better than 2-2 would be exceptional.

A 5-0 finish puts SFU or WWU at 11-9 with a win over UAA (but UAA already has beat both on the road, so that would not be a tiebreaker, if UAA finishes 3-1). If UAA finishes 2-2, then 4-1 would get either team a tie. However, SFU has beat SMU and NNU, and WWU has beaten SMU. These would put them over UAA in a tiebreaker (assuming the standings of top 3 remain as they are today). UAA has a win over NNU only. If MSUB finishes 2-2, either SFU or WWU need to finish 4-1 to tie them. UAA would need to finish 2-2 to tie. If MSUB beats UAA it has the tie break, or if it beats either SPU or St. Martins, it would also have the tie break.

I think the most likely scenario at this point is that UAA ends up the 5 seed and MSUB has a slight edge over SFU or WWU to get the 6 seed. MSUB just has not traveled well this year. Though Durham may get them ready, they just haven't proved they can do it yet. They have to win a couple at St. Martins, SPU, UAA or UAF. All of these games promise to be tough (UAF will be up for Durham when he returns to town). We will see if they can do 2-2 to give themselves a real chance. The tie breaks are too numerous to explain if MSUB goes 2-2 and either SFU or WWU goes 4-1, or if MSUB goes 1-3 and SFU or WWU go 3-2. That will get clearer in a week.

BTW UAA could get the 4 seed over WOU if UAA wins two or more games than WOU (i.e. wins out and WOU finishes 2-2) and, if tied, WOU does not beat NNU at home (beating NNU would give WOU the tie break, assuming SPU finishes 3-1 or better, if not the tie break really gets into the weeds). But at this point the most likely matchup would be WOU and UAA as 4 and 5 seed regardless which one is 4 and which is 5. In that scenario, if WWU gets the 6 seed, at least WOU or UAA won't play them until the final if they make it that far.

Bottom line, I think WWU has an opportunity to make the GNAC tourney in its own gym, but it is probably 25% chance or less.

Do you follow me? If not,, don't worry, this can all change in a game or two.

Re: Will WWU make the GNAC tourney at its own gym?

This seems as valid a thread as any to attach my regular conference tournament updates. You've already given us the GNAC, so here's what's left for everyone in the other two leagues that's still in the race:

CCAA

1. CSU-East Bay (20-5, 15-4) -- CSU-Monterey Bay, at CSU-San Marcos, at UCSD
    2. Cal Poly Pomona (16-5, 14-5) -- Stanislaus State, CSU-Dominguez Hills, CSU-San Bernardino
    3. UC San Diego (18-7, 13-5) -- at Sonoma State, at San Francisco State, CSU-Monterey Bay, CSU-East Bay
    4. San Francisco State (15-8, 11-7) -- CSU-San Marcos, UCSD, at Chico State, at Humboldt State
    5. Humboldt State (16-10, 10-8) -- at CSU-Dominguez Hills, at CSU-Los Angeles, Sonoma State, San Francisco State
    6. CSU-Dominguez Hills (12-11, 10-8) -- Humboldt State, Chico State, at Cal Poly Pomona, at Stanislaus State
    7. CSU-San Bernardino (15-11, 11-9) -- Stanislaus State, at Cal Poly Pomona
    8. CSU-Los Angeles (14-11, 10-9) -- Chico State, Humboldt State, at Stanislaus State
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    9. Chico State (9-10, 8-10) -- at CSU-Los Angeles, at CSU-Dominguez Hills, San Francisco State, Sonoma State
    10. Stanislaus State (10-12, 7-11) -- at Cal Poly Pomona, at CSU-San Bernardino, CSU-Los Angeles, CSU-Dominguez Hills

PacWest

1. Point Loma (21-4, 17-2) -- Hawaii Pacific, Fresno Pacific, Concordia-Irvine
    2. Concordia-Irvine (20-8, 16-3) -- Fresno Pacific, Chaminade, at Point Loma
    3. Azusa Pacific (16-9, 13-5) -- Chaminade, Hawaii-Hilo, Academy of Art, Dominican
    4. Chaminade (18-5, 12-5) -- at Azusa Pacific, at Biola, at Concordia-Irvine, Notre Dame de Namur, at Hawaii-Hilo
    5. Holy Names (12-13, 11-9) -- at Dominican, at Fresno Pacific
    6. Hawaii-Hilo (11-11, 9-9) -- at Biola, at Azusa Pacific, Notre Dame de Namur, Chaminade
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7. Academy of Art (9-15, 9-10) -- Notre Dame de Namur, at Azusa Pacific, at Biola
    8. Biola (12-11, 8-9) -- Hawaii-Hilo, Chaminade, Hawaii Pacific, Dominican, Academy of Art (not eligible until next year)
    9. Fresno Pacific (11-13, 8-11) -- at Concordia-Irvine, at Point Loma, Holy Names

Comment

great stuff guys!

Comment

What's even more interesting is when WWU cut football, many on the football board were predicting numerous national titles (they got 1, not because they cut football, but because they got a great Pac-12 transfer) for Viking hoops, constant GNAC and regional crowns, and domination in all other non-football sports.

I've yet to see this domination and here we are with WWU scrambling to make the league playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post
          Getting that time of year. The GNAC tourney is in Bellingham this year. UAA and MSUB sit tied for 5th at 8-8, the last two spots. WWU now sits in a tie for 7th at 6-9 with SFU, 1.5 games back of UAA and MSUB. WWU and SFU have the same remaining schedule - a game against each other at SFU, WOU and Concordia at home, and the Alaska teams on the road.

Of the teams tied for 5th, UAA has the major advantage of 4 home games against teams with a equal or worse record. However, these games are against MSUB, WWU and SFU, who are going to be fighting for a tourney spot, and UAF which is a rivalry game. Would hope UAA wins out but I give that about a 30% chance. MSUB has 4 road games (St. Martins, SPU, the Alaska schools). Since MSUB is currently 1-8 on the road or neutral courts, anything better than 2-2 would be exceptional.

A 5-0 finish puts SFU or WWU at 11-9 with a win over UAA (but UAA already has beat both on the road, so that would not be a tiebreaker, if UAA finishes 3-1). If UAA finishes 2-2, then 4-1 would get either team a tie. However, SFU has beat SMU and NNU, and WWU has beaten SMU. These would put them over UAA in a tiebreaker (assuming the standings of top 3 remain as they are today). UAA has a win over NNU only. If MSUB finishes 2-2, either SFU or WWU need to finish 4-1 to tie them. UAA would need to finish 2-2 to tie. If MSUB beats UAA it has the tie break, or if it beats either SPU or St. Martins, it would also have the tie break.

I think the most likely scenario at this point is that UAA ends up the 5 seed and MSUB has a slight edge over SFU or WWU to get the 6 seed. MSUB just has not traveled well this year. Though Durham may get them ready, they just haven't proved they can do it yet. They have to win a couple at St. Martins, SPU, UAA or UAF. All of these games promise to be tough (UAF will be up for Durham when he returns to town). We will see if they can do 2-2 to give themselves a real chance. The tie breaks are too numerous to explain if MSUB goes 2-2 and either SFU or WWU goes 4-1, or if MSUB goes 1-3 and SFU or WWU go 3-2. That will get clearer in a week.

BTW UAA could get the 4 seed over WOU if UAA wins two or more games than WOU (i.e. wins out and WOU finishes 2-2) and, if tied, WOU does not beat NNU at home (beating NNU would give WOU the tie break, assuming SPU finishes 3-1 or better, if not the tie break really gets into the weeds). But at this point the most likely matchup would be WOU and UAA as 4 and 5 seed regardless which one is 4 and which is 5. In that scenario, if WWU gets the 6 seed, at least WOU or UAA won't play them until the final if they make it that far.

Bottom line, I think WWU has an opportunity to make the GNAC tourney in its own gym, but it is probably 25% chance or less.

Do you follow me? If not,, don't worry, this can all change in a game or two.
          After Thursday night action, there are a few less variables with these 4 teams now... I think although UAA lost on Thursday, they still have the easiest path toward getting in with a 5th or 6th seed. They are at home now for SFU, UAF, then MSUB. I predict that they will slaughter UAF and if they can get more contributors than they had last night, they've got a good chance with both SFU & MSUB, but those two games are a little less of a sure bet in my mind than their UAF game is. They should be pretty motivated on Saturday though and MSUB is senior day, so that always motivates too...

MSUB has the hardest path to getting in and other than sweeping WWU this year, they don't own too many tie breakers, pending their game with UAA. I'm not sure winning just one game (UAF) will get them in, given WWU and SFU have more games left and more opportunities to better their records with more winnable games. Could see them finishing 9-11.

WWU also has UAF and CU in their last games, which should be clear wins... They beat SMU this year, so that is a potentially powerful tiebreaker if they end up tied and splitting the series with any of these other teams. Winning at SFU won't be easy though. That's where the Clan has been hard to beat this year, taking down NNU & SMU.

SFU... Man, they've got the mother of all tiebreaker, in that they beat both the #1 & #2 teams in the GNAC, but they've got UAA, WWU, CU, and WOU to go... So....

I think we're still in "who the heck knows" turf, but they sure would put themselves in a lot better spot to get there if they could take advantage of UAA tomorrow and win that one, get momentum to take down the Vikings at home on Tuesday and have an edge heading into those last games, which for them are all at home.

Bottom line is though, after WOU, the GNAC really drops off. We might be the toughest league in the region this year, but the 5 & 6 seeds into the GNAC tourney are looking at .500 records or thereabouts...

Comment

GNAC seems very top heavy on the outside looking in with the top 4 teams really with an only chance to win conference tournament. Same with the Pac West. CCAA has 6 or 7 teams that could get hot and win that tournament. Exciting time of the year!

Comment

Originally posted by Billybronco01 View Post
              GNAC seems very top heavy on the outside looking in with the top 4 teams really with an only chance to win conference tournament. Same with the Pac West. CCAA has 6 or 7 teams that could get hot and win that tournament. Exciting time of the year!
              I'd like to see the GNAC tourney rotate between neutral sites at Kent, Washington (I think it holds 5K or close to), and perhaps somewhere (non-SFU) in Vancouver, B.C., because I think it's cool the GNAC has a Canadian team. Not big on schools being able to host the conference tourney, I get it on the regional tournament, you've really, really earned that right to host and you want to put your best team in the Elite 8. Worst thing that could happen in this year's conference tourney is WWU getting hot and upsetting more deserving teams and making the GNAC look like crap at regionals. Flame away Viking fans ...

Comment

And after the weekend, we have new 5th & 6th place teams for the GNAC, as SFU & WWU sweep the Alaska schools and MSUB predictably has a hard time with SMU & SPU and strangely, UAA does not get a win on their home floor last week...

When I look at the culture of these teams and where they've come from, I'd put my money right now on SFU and UAA getting in. In case you're wondering, here's why: SFU has climbed a mountain in the last years and dug themselves out of the basement. They've been dynamite at home and are learning how to grind out road wins. Rob will likely disagree, and if he was at UAA's game last night in person, I'll defer his thoughts on how regulation ended and OT ended. SFU had the game at the end of regulation and a whistle blew on a classic contact at the buzzer rebound call that probably didn't need to be called. That put UAA on the FT line for the chance to win with 2. They missed the first and got the second to send it to OT. SFU again had the game wrapped up in OT and there was another 50-50 call that went UAA's way; but SFU still got it done and really earned that one. Hopefully their legs get rested for a 3 game week at home.

I also say UAA will get in, because even though it's surprising that they lost 2 at home this week, if there's one thing about UAA ball under Osborne, it's that they play tough when their backs are against the wall. There really isn't any reason they could not have won these two games this week, so I would expect them to be going at UAF and MSUB hard this week to try to get back into the top 6... They'll finish with MSUB on Thursday, so will likely be watching games at Simon Fraser and WWU to see if winning this week will be enough.

Just don't think the culture at WWU is very tough or organized. While they routinely have top talent and good in-league records, they have yet to be a force regionally under Dominguez, especially when you consider the talent they bring in. They might get in because it's at their home and that is motivation and they are coming off a sweep in Alaska, but if they do, it will be on talent and getting hot, not on a culture or year where they really deserved it and were robbed somehow. Yeah, I'm not a Viking's program fan either.

Don't think MSUB is in a good position to get in now. As Rob mentioned, they haven't travelled well (except to WWU, which ironically was a team UAF used to regularly beat under Durham too-I think it's clearly that Durham usually has an organized tactical plan whereas WWU doesn't)... Anyways. MSUB is overall, a young team and might not have quite enough depth to get it this year. I'd like to see them get in and I'll be eagerly waiting to see them play UAF Saturday afternoon and if they get in, will be cheering for them, but I wouldn't put $ on them at this point.

Okay. That was probably more than anyone wanted to read about the battle for 5th/6th in the GNAC, but.... whatever. Fun week coming for sure!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X