3. East Bay
    4. Northwest Nazerene
    5. CPP
    6. UCSD
    7. Concordia Irvine
    8. Chaminade
    9. Sea PAC
    10. Western Oregon

i admit 6-9 is a total toss up. Look for Pomona to move up if it keeps winning. committee could put loma 1 as well.

Chaminade overcame a 56-37 deficit to APU and sank a 3 with 8 seconds left to win 77-75. This all but closes the door on APU's at large tournament bid.
    Sea Pacific grinded out a 67-63 win over ST Martin's. It was a tough, physical game with way to many whistles in my opinion. Luke Chavez no showed tonight for St Martin's.

Rankings are officially out tomorrow at noon. Good luck to all, gonna be a great last 3 weeks!

Re: regional rankings for tomm plus thoughts on two great games tonight

hey, give the scoop here when the rankings are announced so that us lazy folks don't have to look them up, k?

I seem to remember that in the past the CCAA has had way more physical play as a whole league with refs letting the play get more physical. I don't know if that is still the case, but in my observations at regionals and beyond, the whistles tighten up the play a bit, typically. Hard to predict what refs will do come regional time, but I think more whistles is more likely than less.

I guess I wouldn't say that Chavez no-showed last night. While I didn't watch the game closely, I'll say that he's had a lot of injury issues this year and has never gotten back to the form he was in last year... And he hasn't needed to. His role has changed because Boyce, Standly, and Redix can all put up phenomenal numbers on any night as well and that was not the case last year. I'm not sure Chavez will be in the position to win POTY for the GNAC as he was labelled the pre-season pick for that. He's got a different role and it hasn't been his year to carry the team anymore. I'd like to see him have some dynamite games in the GNAC tourney or at regionals, but if the team is winning, there's no point in complaining about average numbers. As a team, they are tougher to prepare for because the other team has to be prepared for Boyce, Redix, Standly, or ever Baerlocher or Chavez to go off on any night.

I'd like to think that SPU is getting close to earning themselves an at large big in the top 8 now too, but am not really up to snuff on knowing the CCAA and PacWest teams that are hanging around the same area as they are in regional rankings. Guess we shouldn't be waiting too much longer to see...

Comment

Here are regional rankings:

1. Saint Martin's (19-3)
      2. Point Loma (20-4)
      3. Cal Poly Pomona (15-5)
      4. Northwest Nazarene (15-4)
      5. Seattle Pacific (15-6)
      6. UC San Diego (18-7)
      7. Chaminade (18-5)
      8. Cal State East Bay (19-5)
      9. Western Oregon (14-8)
      10. Concordia, Calif. (18-8)

Cal State East Bay getting no respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post
        Here are regional rankings:

1. Saint Martin's (19-3)
        2. Point Loma (20-4)
        3. Cal Poly Pomona (15-5)
        4. Northwest Nazarene (15-4)
        5. Seattle Pacific (15-6)
        6. UC San Diego (18-7)
        7. Chaminade (18-5)
        8. Cal State East Bay (19-5)
        9. Western Oregon (14-8)
        10. Concordia, Calif. (18-8)

Cal State East Bay getting no respect.
        Thanks! Did Point Loma drop another one last week besides CSLA? I thought they would be No. 1 after SMU's loss to SPU. Yes, East Bay is getting screwed, should be ahead of UC San Diego and maybe Chaminade.

Comment

PT Loma lost to Hawaii Hilo and UCSD lost to cal state LA. My initial reaction is that Sea PAC is way to high and East Bay is to low. In my initial post a few weeks ago, the committee values out of conference wins vs ranked opponents. They break teams down into different tiers. East Bay does not have 1 win vs a Tier 1 opponent (lost to CPP twice, hasn't played UCSD, beat up on sisters of the poor in the pac West) where as CPP has 4 and UCSD has 3 I believe. Lots of game left and the top 10 control their own destiny.

Comment

Also good to remember that the rankings today do not include yesterday's games. So the SPU over SMU game will be reflected in next week's rankings. If you have never looked you can see the data the committee uses to rank the teams on the ncaa website where the rankings are. It looks like the committee really values strength of schedule over wins. East Bay has a bad SOS and the committee seems to be punishing them for it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Voice of Reason View Post
              Also good to remember that the rankings today do not include yesterday's games. So the SPU over SMU game will be reflected in next week's rankings. If you have never looked you can see the data the committee uses to rank the teams on the ncaa website where the rankings are. It looks like the committee really values strength of schedule over wins. East Bay has a bad SOS and the committee seems to be punishing them for it.
              Great info, thanks!

Comment

East Bay has UCSD and CS San Marcos on road to end the season. If, and probably a big if, they win out and win the CCAA tourney (or finish equal or better than CPP and UCSD in the tourney), can't see why they would not be ranked higher than the other CCAA teams. I don't care about strength of non-conference schedule. Winning your conference is a pretty damn good indicator of where you rank among conference opponents. Oh well, the formula approach used is not perfect, but I guess everyone plays by the same rules so....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post
                  East Bay has UCSD and CS San Marcos on road to end the season. If, and probably a big if, they win out and win the CCAA tourney (or finish equal or better than CPP and UCSD in the tourney), can't see why they would not be ranked higher than the other CCAA teams. I don't care about strength of non-conference schedule. Winning your conference is a pretty damn good indicator of where you rank among conference opponents. Oh well, the formula approach used is not perfect, but I guess everyone plays by the same rules so....
                  I'm with you there on non-conference slate. If you're in Hawaii or Alaska, it's tough to get non-conference teams to go to your place. Heck, it's tough at WOU, though APU came up once, might have been part of a tourney. WOU had to make a few early season Cali trips, which of course helped. But there are zero non-conference D2 teams in Washington and Oregon, and one gets penalized for playing even really good NAIA teams, and no reward if you play a D-1 team tough.

I think it's cool California has three D2 leagues, but in the Northwest there just aren't enough schools.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X