Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNAC Basketball start to be further delayed?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The White House recently demonstrated very clearly just why we cannot test ourselves out of this crisis. Testing doesn't make the virus go away, it only identifies the virus. As a nation, we have to lower transmission before testing is a strategy for anything but mitigation. There are far too many cases in the U.S. right now to rely on testing as a passport. A rapid test to go to a basketball game doesn't work in this context if someone on the basketball team tests positive and the game isn't happening anyways, the team is in fact, flying home to quarantine for two weeks and canceling the next 2 weeks worth of games. This is a human behavior issue. One by one we can do a little, but with 20%-40% of the population thinking the whole thing is a hoax, our best shot out of this is via voting. The current leadership has proven themselves useless in nearly every aspect of this, except for politicizing this to the point that many people willingly hurt local efforts every day to slow this thing down. If we can protect human life, Europe and history have shown that the economy will do better, but if we stick our heads in the sand more lives will be lost and more unrest will develop. We know what works; there is plenty of evidence on what works to tamp this thing down, it's not a mystery. My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
      The White House recently demonstrated very clearly just why we cannot test ourselves out of this crisis. Testing doesn't make the virus go away, it only identifies the virus. As a nation, we have to lower transmission before testing is a strategy for anything but mitigation. There are far too many cases in the U.S. right now to rely on testing as a passport. A rapid test to go to a basketball game doesn't work in this context if someone on the basketball team tests positive and the game isn't happening anyways, the team is in fact, flying home to quarantine for two weeks and canceling the next 2 weeks worth of games. This is a human behavior issue. One by one we can do a little, but with 20%-40% of the population thinking the whole thing is a hoax, our best shot out of this is via voting. The current leadership has proven themselves useless in nearly every aspect of this, except for politicizing this to the point that many people willingly hurt local efforts every day to slow this thing down. If we can protect human life, Europe and history have shown that the economy will do better, but if we stick our heads in the sand more lives will be lost and more unrest will develop. We know what works; there is plenty of evidence on what works to tamp this thing down, it's not a mystery. My two cents.
      I agree with everything, but the U.S. population and leadership isn't smart enough or strong enough to get through this. Just a few days ago Trump said 85% of people who wear masks get the virus. It's a total lie. Where I live, literally bodies could be in the streets and a good 50% would say it's fake news. I see us a decade of this, meanwhile, I think we should live life with masks and distancing, etc. Yes, a decade out because we're not tough enough to put on masks. Good thing these people weren't around in WWII, they would've said it was a hoax and Hitler would've won.

Just a couple days ago all the cheap theatres -- $2 a pop -- closed in Boise. I really liked them. I won't go out to my favorite restaurants, despite that the foolish governor here hasn't put any restrictions on them. The libraries are closed, the museums are closed, the movies are closed, sports are closed, the gyms are semi-closed, the parks have restrictions. What's the purpose of living a life like this? It sucks. Seriously, I'm going to get out of the city life and live in the cheaper boonies, they have just as many amenities now.

So yeah, we're a freaking decade out so I'm going against the grain here and saying play ball and let us watch ball but with restrictions. A new electorate isn't going to change these morons' attitudes that it is NOT a hoax. Stupid is as stupid does.

Comment

Side note - UAA and UAF released their Hockey schedules today with their seasons beginning in December 4th and 5th against each other. They will play an 18 game schedule in all. The WCHA members voted to begin play this week effective Dec 1st.

Comment

With the way things are trending, I'm not sure which way this will go. Covid is skyrocketing in Northwest, Idaho averages 1,000 or more cases per day; Oregon had their first 1,000 day; not sure on Washington or B.C. or Alaska. The Ivy League just cancelled all winter sports. Things are getting far worse, not better. Idaho got lazy, opened up all bars and gyms, people downtown refuse to wear masks. Boise school district going back to remote only.

I feel bad for the athletes and coaches. I ran cross country at Western Oregon when they were NAIA. One certainly doesn't do that for any glory, running lots of miles in the rain, racing in front of few fans in a sport no one follows. You do it because you love it, that's what most D2/D3/NAIA/JUCO players do. It's not for fame or glory, it's a chance to play and one works hard to compete. Coaches spend their lives in their profession, to have it taken away. So for those reasons, I hope there's a season. If having a season accelerates the virus, they have to take precautions. I hope it's not cancelling the season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X