Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media coverage: the good, bad, and ugly

Quick scan of online sports pages from towns where D2 hoops was held.

The Good (or should I say Great?): Ellensburg Daily Record. Reporter covered two games, women's and men's, both stories had prominent photos leading the section. Stories were well-written with quotes from coaches. Also very good, The Olympian (though they mistakenly filed it under high school sports), the UAA game with St. Martin's. Full game story and photo.

The Bad and Ugly: No game stories or mentions in the Billings paper (wow!), though tons of Montana and MSU sports news and preps, but nothing on the WWU-MSUB game. L-A-Z-Y. Also, the Bellingham paper didn't feel it worthwhile to have any mention of the game in their online edition. Of course the Salem newspaper had no mention of the WOU game in their online edition. Here's what's brutal: Nampa (pop. 85,000) has one university in town with one college game going on and they had NOTHING in their online version today, but they had plenty of 3-week old Boise State stories they won't take down. L-A-Z-Y.

Didn't check Seattle papers, guessing they had an SPU blurb. Nothing in the Vancouver Sun on SFU, though they had two football stories with GNAC interest on Bighill and Mike Reilly.

We're dealing with a lot of things: reduction of newspaper work force and not very good reporters out there, who also possess weak work ethics. The future is probably each school's website and other online venues like D2football.com. Disappointing to see the lack of effort out there.

* Didn't check Alaska papers, assuming they at least got the SID release and published it.

Re: Media coverage: the good, bad, and ugly

The Seattle Times doesn't cover SPU on a game by game basis other than to reference the score and a leading scorer or two. It's the UW mens and women, Seahawks, Mariners, barely any HS hoops unless it's Nathan Hale, Garfield or Rainier Beach related. When my son Ryan played for SPU, they won the GNAC tourney twice, both great games vs WWU, one was an unbelievable shot by Jobi Wall to win it (see link below). The Times had 4 paragraphs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RT7w7DK78Y

I found it ironic that in yesterday's Times, there was a nice article about Coach Leep.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/c...ng-first-year/

So it's hit and miss. From what I've found at CBU, I personally think they do a nice job online, via Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. They do have some stuff in the Press-Enterprise, but again they're also competing with the Pac12 schools, the NFL, NBA, etc.

Comment

Re: Media coverage: the good, bad, and ugly

Originally posted by KTodd View Post
      The Seattle Times doesn't cover SPU on a game by game basis other than to reference the score and a leading scorer or two. It's the UW mens and women, Seahawks, Mariners, barely any HS hoops unless it's Nathan Hale, Garfield or Rainier Beach related. When my son Ryan played for SPU, they won the GNAC tourney twice, both great games vs WWU, one was an unbelievable shot by Jobi Wall to win it (see link below). The Times had 4 paragraphs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RT7w7DK78Y

I found it ironic that in yesterday's Times, there was a nice article about Coach Leep.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/c...ng-first-year/

So it's hit and miss. From what I've found at CBU, I personally think they do a nice job online, via Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. They do have some stuff in the Press-Enterprise, but again they're also competing with the Pac12 schools, the NFL, NBA, etc.
      Great video by the way, what a shot. I remember that SPU team, they were great.

I understand the competition for sports news. I don't understand small town papers flooding the readers with national news. Most people get the national stuff off ESPN.com, SI.com, Fox Sports, etc. I've read the Press-Enterprise in the past and I think they covered Azusa Pacific football fairly well.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X