Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOU drops two in Cali

Looks like those preseason conference predictions are correct, I watched a couple games online this weekend and Western Oregon is not good.

Their offense consists of their best player shooting the ball all the time, they miss easy shots and they don't defend well. I had high hopes for this season and certainly they can turn it around but right now they look like a mess.

At times it looks like they don't play with much heart or passion and that is really bothersome.

Last edited by Anchorage; 11-14-2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Ouch, not a good start for the league.

Right now I'm blaming the pandemic but I'm really not sure what's going on with Western Oregon athletics. They had a struggling football season in basketball doesn't look much better.

Before the pandemic they got second in the league in basketball and tied for first in football.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Ouch, not a good start for the league.

Right now I'm blaming the pandemic but I'm really not sure what's going on with Western Oregon athletics. They had a struggling football season in basketball doesn't look much better.

Before the pandemic they got second in the league in basketball and tied for first in football.
        Last edited by Anchorage; 11-14-2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Fairbanks drops another one, this time to Hawaii Pacific.

The UAA-Chaminade game was a rock fight throughout. Beautiful basketball it was not. Consisted of Chaminade building a lead, UAA clawing back, the Swords building another lead, UAA clawing back. Stayed that way till Chaminade had a 15-0 run to close the game. UAA shot a sparkling 7-34 from 3, mostly tough contested 3s with time running out. It was a game of a lot of standing around and forcing up a contested shots, deep in the shot clock for both teams. Neither team had much, if any, off ball movement or motion to try and get an open shot. Both teams appeared to be allergic to pushing in transition despite all the long rebounds, if even to find open looks that way. Chaminade won by being better on the boards and getting additional possessions. Just an ugly early season basketball game.
          Last edited by Anchorage; 11-15-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I just want the GNAC to have at least two teams in the region and to show well in the region tourney. Looks like it won't be WOU, but I had very high hopes for UAA and UAF; as well as SPU. I haven't yet seen NNU play, but I will soon, I'm not sure they're the team they were last year without Alley. I have to admit I'm stunned at the early results and think these crossover tournaments in the early season are super important. In the not-so-distant past with WOU, wins in California and at home against Cali teams bolstered their regional rankings.

I waited a year for GNAC hoops, so far I'm disappointed in the results.

Comment

Comment

I think you guys are correct in thinking that these games will be very important come selection time. It's easier to save the season and learn from these early games and get better for conference play, but much harder to get into regionals with such a rough start, unless you win the conference (which we all know is hard, because regardless of the start, it's usually teams beating up on one another down the stretch in conference play).

I haven't been able to watch UAF closely yet, but saw a bit of their Hawaii games. They look a lot like they did 2 years ago in November... A mess. It's largely a new team, figuring out how to play together and Sparling's style doesn't seem to be very heavy handed in terms of set plays and more structured organization. I'm hopeful that they will get things sorted out and wiggle their way into the conference calculations as they did 2 years ago, but as far as regionals goes, SPU seems to be the only GNAC school playing and competing in the kinds of games that end up being important for selection, outside of conference performance.

I think play is going to get interesting and better as we go. Let's see what this weekend brings...

Comment

Western Oregon lost again, this time to California East bay. The Wolves are really not good this year. Ugh.

Comment

Western Oregon picked up their first win of the year today against Sonoma State. I'm not sure this is a very good Wolves team, however.

Comment

GNAC fortunes took a turn for the better this week. 7-1 against West region foes. That will help. I have the GNAC as 12-17 on the year vs Region opponents.

Billings and NNU dropped 3 games between them to out of region D2 squads.

Region Games to look forward to this week

WOU vs Humboldt - Tuesday
                      St Martins vs East Bay - Wednesday
                      Point Loma vs WWU - Friday
                      St Martins vs Academy of Arts - Friday
                      NNU vs Azusa- Saturday
                      UAF vs Hilo - Saturday
                      Point Lona vs SPU - Saturday
                      St Martins vs Monterey Bay - Saturday
                      UAA vs Hilo - Sunday

Other D2 Games of note

Billings vs Black Hills
                      Western Colorado vs Simon Fraser
                      Fort Lewis vs WOU
                      CWU vs Westminster
                      WOU vs Westminster
                      UAF vs Quincy
                      UAA vs Quincy
                      Fort Lewis vs CWU
                      UT-Permian vs WWU
                      Simon vs Colorado Mesa

Last edited by Anchorage; 11-21-2021, 01:31 AM.

Comment

UAF's Barnard hit a near half court shot at the buzzer to get UAF into OT with East Bay yesterday and then they took over in OT. The last 56 seconds of regulation are worth a watch if you want to see how late game tactics can work, despite ref calls not going in your favor at all. https://www.ccaanetwork.com/ UAF was looking more organized this week and Shabazz finding his rhythm too.

Comment

WOU gets crushed by fort Lewis, really? They play absolutely zero defense. Hope to stay out of the cellar this year. What a quick drop to the bottom it's been. Seems like the players just don't care.

Comment

Wolves lose again at Utah tourney, bad team now 1-6 or something like that. I'm a bit surprised, looks like the out-of-state/far-flung recruiting strategy isn't paying off. Best players in the last decade have been from Woodburn, Oregon; Monmouth, Oregon; and McKenzie River, Oregon ... and one dude from Salt Lake CC. I was excited about all these recruits the last two years; they're not getting it done.

Comment

Last edited by Anchorage; 11-29-2021, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X