Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former UAA signee getting Pac-12 looks

Anchorage knows Isaiah Moses better than I do. Player of the year in Alaska, signed with UAA, Covid year off (?) to College of Southern Idaho for one or two years? Don't know the whole timeline, need help there. Nevertheless, taking a trip to WSU (my favorite D1 team) this week. Moses was a first-team JC All-American this year on the No. 1 team in the nation for most of the season, which I think lost in the national semi-finals. Great player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GrCJyu0poc

He was just at a different level. I told you guys the one appearance he had in the green gold scrimmage as a true freshman, against Oggie, Tobin, Rowlands etc, he was easily the best player in the court. It wasn’t close. No one could stay with him. 36 points in like 22 minutes. It was stupid. He would have been the best guard in the GNAC as an 18 year old. Good for him, glad to see him bounce back and succeed. Yeah you had the timeline basically right, he just had some struggles and needed to get out of Alaska and away from some influences here.

So Moses and his high school teammate Evan Hoosier were part of a powerhouse high school team that went to 3 straight state title games. It was the UAA coaches plan that those two were going to continue with hat momentum at UAA but the coaches got in the way of themselves imo.

I’m not going to say I was the biggest influence on either of them but I had many conversations with both of them about staying home, representing Alaska Basketball, bringing UAA back to its previous glory. I’ve felt guilty about that ever since as UAA and especially those coaches were the worst possible situation for both of those kids.

Moses truly needed to get out of Alaska but it was clear the negativity from the coaching staff played a large part in his struggles and desire to be there. Evan grew up a lifelong UAA fan and tried to stick it out longer but the coaches were never going to appreciate what he was and the negativity on him eventually became too much. They constantly wanted to turn him into something other than what he was, a very skilled old fashioned post player. And the constant negativity of the coaches eventually wore on him and he finally entered the portal this year.

Moses obviously will be at a good D1 school. I expect Evan will show up at west coast D2 or high level NAIA school. In the case of Moses you’ve already seen what he can do when he’s happy and with coaches who can reach him. I think Evan’s best basketball is in front of him as he picks a much better situation with coaches that care to understand who he is as a player and as a person. Then leaving UAA was the best possible scenario and something I never thought I’d say as a 35 year UAA fan…I fully supported them both and pushed for them to leave.

And where does that leave UAA? They have shrunk in the standings. They lost probable the most important player and local legend, Tobin Karlberg for his senior year. They lost arguably the best player in Moses to come out of the city in the last 10 years or so. They botched the whole eligibility situation with Wyche and built a team and style around a guy they didn’t even have for the full year, They couldn’t figure out how to use one of the best big men from Alaska in the last few years. And it’s been like 15 plus years since they made the ncaa tournament. Something that used to be automatic to the program. I’m not sure what dirt that Rusty has on the administration or why he is able to still be using one final four run in 2006 as evidence that he’s this great genius coach. But UAA refuses to go in a much needed change of direction and I don’t get it, Iguess they will just continue to be this tired and stale program that continually takes a back seat to the women’s team and is a middle of the road GNAC squad. I’m not sure when that became good enough.
    Last edited by Anchorage; 04-14-2023, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks Anchorage on my timeline I still am a little confused as some WSU fans are saying he has 3 years of eligibility remaining. I believe that's true but I'm not positive. And it looks like he doesn't need to get the associates degree cuz he was a full qualifier out of high school. I'm still vague on these intricacies. But it looks like he's got three years of eligibility left. The covid year has me all confused. I think Washington State would like to get him as their two starting guards this year were basically not true point guards and certainly not as quick or athletic is Moses. They have a really good point guard in the wings but he had cancer all last year and they don't know if he'll be back to full strength. I certainly hope the Cougars can sign Moses, but he might have some really good offers out there.

Comment

I believe 3 year’s eligibility is correct. He had the Covid year, then was forced due to off court reasons to take a red shirt year before finally transferring and playing this last year at CSI. I’ve heard it’s WSU and three mid-majors have offered him but I don’t know if any other offers have come in the last couple weeks.

Comment

He committed today to UC Riverside.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post
            He committed today to UC Riverside.
            Thanks for the info, I think that's a pretty good program.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X