Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The portal isn't working that well for the GNAC

Went through some of the GNAC rosters and a lot of those bragging on Twitter about putting themselves in the portal frankly aren't being picked up. UAF's quality post Mohammed -- already transferred from EWU and now apparently UAF -- shows on a tweet his frustration of coaches inquiring but not offering. He had a nice deal at UAF, now he's going into a not so good deal it looks like. I'm guessing verbal commits doesn't announce D3 and NAIA schools that D2 guys transfer to, because I haven't seen that and I'm guessing that's where most of these guys end up. A lot of those vaunted SPU guys? Welcome to men's city league sponsored by your local parks & rec department next year.

I'm not against someone having the freedom to go to the school they want, but wow, read some posts from these guys and they have highly inflated views of themselves.

As they say, D1 eats first and they are still signing guys UAA signed most of their guys last May and June. The D2s wait a lot of times to see exactly who is going to be available before they start figuring how much they can allocate and to whom. I looked last week and there 760 D2 transfers only 61 guys had signed so far. I think number has come up as I’m starting to see guys sign more this week. And hell there is still a couple D2 players a day ENTERING the portal. But it’s still fairly early for D2s. I bet things really heat up in the next two or three weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post
      As they say, D1 eats first and they are still signing guys UAA signed most of their guys last May and June. The D2s wait a lot of times to see exactly who is going to be available before they start figuring how much they can allocate and to whom. I looked last week and there 760 D2 transfers only 61 guys had signed so far. I think number has come up as I’m starting to see guys sign more this week. And hell there is still a couple D2 players a day ENTERING the portal. But it’s still fairly early for D2s. I bet things really heat up in the next two or three weeks.
      Update there are 791 in the D2 portal and 71 have signed. Now there are probably a few that VC hadn’t caught up with yet and/or have gone to a CC or NAIA school which they don’t always report. But yeah…lots of D2s still waiting.

But you are correct. At least half of those guys won’t get offers at D2 or higher. You are going to have D1 drop downs, CC players and high school guys taking some of those spots. Many will be pushed out to NAIA, CC or even out of the game completely. I’d guess 40% to D1 or D2. 20% to 30% to NAIA/CC opportunities. And 30% will be done with basketball.

The word I’m getting around UAA is that they are basically punting on this coming season. They have signed 4 or 5 high school kids (there is one kid that one person told me committed but another told me he hadn’t yet). I think they are riding out this group of seniors coming back and developing these younger kids for the next iteration of the team. Clearly disappointed in many of these guys and their performance and are just waiting for their scholarships to run out.
      Last edited by Anchorage; 04-23-2023, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Update there are 791 in the D2 portal and 71 have signed. Now there are probably a few that VC hadn’t caught up with yet and/or have gone to a CC or NAIA school which they don’t always report. But yeah…lots of D2s still waiting.

But you are correct. At least half of those guys won’t get offers at D2 or higher. You are going to have D1 drop downs, CC players and high school guys taking some of those spots. Many will be pushed out to NAIA, CC or even out of the game completely. I’d guess 40% to D1 or D2. 20% to 30% to NAIA/CC opportunities. And 30% will be done with basketball.
        Wow, that's a 10% success rate, well, a little lower than that. D1 football has a 43% success rate of guys finding another school, those aren't good odds.

If someone is sitting on the bench and wants to better their lot in life, more power to them. Sitting on a bench sucks, I'm amazed how many D1 hoop walk-ons are out there just sitting for years getting no scholarship money.

If someone goes to another D2 or D3 or NAIA, no need to announce it. "I'm taking my talents to Sunshine Bible College next year" and then all the friends, "Yeah man, you deserve this!" Yes, playing in a gym the size of a grade school venue and in front of 35 fans is what you deserve? Let's just be realistic and same with guys going D1 from D2 and acting like they're going to be the end all. Moffitt of SPU/Idaho announced he was turning pro. Well, he had to, he had no more eligibility, he said. he was NBA bound. Now he had a fine year at Idaho and in the 28th rated RPI conference, but he's not an NBA player. Play hard, have fun, find your spot ... but quit announcing to the world that you're so awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Wow, that's a 10% success rate, well, a little lower than that. D1 football has a 43% success rate of guys finding another school, those aren't good odds.

If someone is sitting on the bench and wants to better their lot in life, more power to them. Sitting on a bench sucks, I'm amazed how many D1 hoop walk-ons are out there just sitting for years getting no scholarship money.

If someone goes to another D2 or D3 or NAIA, no need to announce it. "I'm taking my talents to Sunshine Bible College next year" and then all the friends, "Yeah man, you deserve this!" Yes, playing in a gym the size of a grade school venue and in front of 35 fans is what you deserve? Let's just be realistic and same with guys going D1 from D2 and acting like they're going to be the end all. Moffitt of SPU/Idaho announced he was turning pro. Well, he had to, he had no more eligibility, he said. he was NBA bound. Now he had a fine year at Idaho and in the 28th rated RPI conference, but he's not an NBA player. Play hard, have fun, find your spot ... but quit announcing to the world that you're so awesome.
          It’s still early. D2s will be signing guys into June. So yeah I’m sure it’s around that 40% rate also by the time it’s all said and done.

but no doubt this generation LOVES to market themselves. It’s the Tik Tok generation.

Comment

Up to 807 in the portal, another 16 players entered yesterday. 5 more have signed and been reported to VC so we are up 76 signed.

A significant number of High School players have signed with D2s the last few days. I wonder if the pendulum is swinging back?

Comment

Up to 807 in the portal, another 16 players entered yesterday. 5 more have signed and been reported to VC so we are up 76 signed.

A significant number of High School players have signed with D2s the last few days. I wonder if the pendulum is swinging back?
              I hope it does swing back, prep kids are getting a raw deal these days. Four-year colleges shouldn't be used as JC's, the NCAA let this get out of hand. A few WOU guys listed as gone in verbal commits, but they didn't put it up there in the news when they left. WOU goes all the way to Texas to get an average player who transfers out after one year. Total waste, I knew he wouldn't stick around. Our coach has an aversion to recruiting the state of Oregon, not sure why. He seems like a good guy who could connect with local preps. WOU spends a lot of recruiting travel money to go under .500.

Comment

I looked at the final D2 transfer Portal numbers today.

Using VC, 923 kids entered the portal. I know that VC got many of the NAIA and JC pickups recorded but they didn’t get them all. So I accounted for 30% rate of players they still have unsigned as actually having signed somewhere. I may be off a bit but that seems fairly close.

In all of D2 63% estimated signed, 37% estimated went unsigned.

GNAC had a 66% estimated signed rate. So above the D2 average actually.

interestingly enough when I broke it down by page, sorted by height, there was very little change. Tall guys 63% signed. Medium size guys 63% estimated signed. Short guys 63% estimated signed.

So pretty interesting that there was no height bias. If you could play and probably had a decent attitude, you landed somewhere. If you not, you probably didn't. Height played zero role which is the biggest surprise to me.

Comment

I looked at the final D2 transfer Portal numbers today.

Using VC, 923 kids entered the portal. I know that VC got many of the NAIA and JC pickups recorded but they didn’t get them all. So I accounted for 30% rate of players they still have unsigned as actually having signed somewhere. I may be off a bit but that seems fairly close.

In all of D2 63% estimated signed, 37% estimated went unsigned.

GNAC had a 66% estimated signed rate. So above the D2 average actually.

interestingly enough when I broke it down by page, sorted by height, there was very little change. Tall guys 63% signed. Medium size guys 63% estimated signed. Short guys 63% estimated signed.

So pretty interesting that there was no height bias. If you could play and probably had a decent attitude, you landed somewhere. If you not, you probably didn't. Height played zero role which is the biggest surprise to me.
                  Great stuff Anchorage, I'm really surprised at the numbers. In division 1 football 43% of portal players find another spot and then FCS football it's even lower in the 30s. Really good information here.

* Wondering what happened to Alaska Anchorage's big man Evan Hoosier. I think you would know Anchorage, 😀I'm curious as Western Oregon hasn't seemed to have landed a big man in their recruiting this year and I wish they would go after him. He's probably already found a place to play.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Great stuff Anchorage, I'm really surprised at the numbers. In division 1 football 43% of portal players find another spot and then FCS football it's even lower in the 30s. Really good information here.

* Wondering what happened to Alaska Anchorage's big man Evan Hoosier. I think you would know Anchorage, 😀I'm curious as Western Oregon hasn't seemed to have landed a big man in their recruiting this year and I wish they would go after him. He's probably already found a place to play.
                    NAIA - Signed with Park University Gilbert (Arizona). Pretty good Cal PAC league. Park Gilbert is a newer program (just it’s 5th year) trying to build up the program in a tough league. It’s an extension university of Park University in Missouri. The Cal PAC league has perpetual NAIA powerhouses Ottawa University (AZ) and Arizona Christian and Antelope Valley. So he will have some good basketball in front of him. Another member of that league UC Merced is making the move to D2 in a year or two and has 2 games scheduled at UAA this November.

Comment

NAIA - Signed with Park University Gilbert (Arizona). Pretty good Cal PAC league. Park Gilbert is a newer program (just it’s 5th year) trying to build up the program in a tough league. It’s an extension university of Park University in Missouri. The Cal PAC league has perpetual NAIA powerhouses Ottawa University (AZ) and Arizona Christian and Antelope Valley. So he will have some good basketball in front of him. Another member of that league UC Merced is making the move to D2 in a year or two and has 2 games scheduled at UAA this November.
                      Great stuff, thanks. I hope Evan does well. That will be a good league.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X