------------------------------
    9. Alaska-Anchorage (15-7)
    10. Western Oregon (15-10)

Discuss

Re: Regional Rankings, Round 2

Here's what I think:

1) CBU
    2) UCSD
    3) SFSU (they haven't lost since 1/18, whereas WWU got swept in Alaska and maybe a number 3 team in the region should have found a way to win in Fairbanks...)
    4) WWU
    5) Sonoma
    6) HPU (yes, their schedule hasn't been the most challenging, but they are better than a bubble team-they've split with CBU & Dixie, so they should be in this as of now)
    7) Chico (I think Sonoma should be ahead of them at this point...)
    8) Dixie
    ---------------------------------
    9) UAA
    10) ? WOU just lost to Concordia PDX last night... do they still deserve to be @ 10? I don't know. Every week in the GNAC everything gets kinda turned upside down.

I don't have a dog in this one, but if I cheer for a team, I would fall fast for the geographic outliers... HPU, Dixie, and (gulp), maybe UAA.

Comment

Guessing the ranking came out before WOU lost at CU yesterday. My goal for this year's Wolves team is to win a game in the conference tourney. Despite their moments -- like vs. UAA -- they're very inconsistent in shooting and sometimes defense. Omlid and Faruq-Bey really have to carry the load night in and night out. The Concordia game was brutal down the stretch, just awful defense and bad outside shots. Add that with the terrible SFU loss and this team seems to have no sense of urgency or how important these regional rankings are. They'd possibly be in the top 8 had they beat both SFU and CU, but it seems often that it's more important for some guys to get their shots than to win games. Rant over.

Comment

Actually think Chaminade might have deserved a 9 or 10 ranking. Also HPU deserves better than a 7 ranking. But one more week for things to shake out a little. Looks like the GNAC gets one team in guaranteed. Someone is going to have to beat WWU in the tourney to get a second team in. Think that sucks because the GNAC was tougher top to bottom than either the CCAA or the PacWest. All you have to do is look to Concordia who was in 10th a week ago and runs off 3 straight. Looks like Saint martins is almost insured on making the tourney based upon the remaining schedule. But for the depth of the league this year, it could almost be considered a choke if they do not.

Comment

I find it odd that SF State was 3rd last week, then won two games against reasonable opponents (Dominguez and LA) by double digits, and they move down to 4th. But, usually it all works itself out in the conference tournaments. Whoever wins the CCAA tournament will mostly likely have to beat two 20+ win teams to do it. That will really help their strength of schedule.

I would definitely have Chaminade above Anchorage, who can't seem to beat anyone on the road. At this point, it seems pretty clear that the difference between 8 and 9 is pretty big. Those top 8 should be the field (unless Humboldt screws it up again)! Now everyone is working on seeding.

My vote is for the CCAA to be ranked 2, 4, 6, & 8...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_AK View Post
            Actually think Chaminade might have deserved a 9 or 10 ranking. Also HPU deserves better than a 7 ranking. But one more week for things to shake out a little. Looks like the GNAC gets one team in guaranteed. Someone is going to have to beat WWU in the tourney to get a second team in. Think that sucks because the GNAC was tougher top to bottom than either the CCAA or the PacWest. All you have to do is look to Concordia who was in 10th a week ago and runs off 3 straight. Looks like Saint martins is almost insured on making the tourney based upon the remaining schedule. But for the depth of the league this year, it could almost be considered a choke if they do not.
            I does suck a bit, but one man's parity can be another committee member's mediocrity. A look at those GNAC standings right now also shows that in an 11-team league, only 3 teams are over the .500 mark in conference, and one of those 3 is currently 15-12 overall. Anchorage has a shot, but they need to win out, get to the final at SMU next week, and hope there aren't any upsets in the other tournaments. And even all that may not be enough.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X