Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goods View Post

There's a local basketball team here who played with 6 kids a few games this year. Just a weird trend of kids not turning out. Whatever. But I use this as an example that out of (what I assume was) a roster of 11-13 women in November, 5-7 of them can't get along enough to play? I'm oversimplifying this and have no idea what the internal struggle is, but to your point, you're robbing the women a handful of games, parents a handful of games as well a few die hard fans of the games too. There needs to be major accountability reality checks here. This doesn't happen overnight.

Playing without subs will get you killed, but they're not winning anyway, but at least you can play a bit longer.
    I don't know what happened but there are enough players to play. I just saw them play a few weeks ago. This doesn't appear to do with injuries or things like that. It sounds like some kind of boycott. I'm pretty sure the internal struggles are pointing towards the coach and not between the players but I can't guarantee it. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...

If there are indeed internal struggles between teammates isn't that the coach's job to clean that up? And just what kind of culture has the coach created? The big red flag for me came right after she was hired the roster was taken off the online site and wasn't put back up till late in the summer, meaning that someone didn't like the players or didn't want anything to do with them for a while. That looked really low class to me and I can't believe the administration allowed that to happen.

Comment

Previous coach still works on campus too, from what I've heard. So if it's a problem with players being unwilling to play for the coaches (which it sure seems like it is), then they might have had someone who could have taken over for the last few weeks rather than turn the whole situation into a public embarrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Rover View Post
        Previous coach still works on campus too, from what I've heard. So if it's a problem with players being unwilling to play for the coaches (which it sure seems like it is), then they might have had someone who could have taken over for the last few weeks rather than turn the whole situation into a public embarrassment.
        Great point, but that also leads into tsull's point that I'm not sure how public this embarrassment actually is. Sounds like WOU athletics news isn't really that big of a deal on and off campus. But if I'm being recruited by WOU, I'm hesitant at best. I bet we'll see WOU replace UAF as the cellar dweller of the GNAC for a handful of years.

Comment

I think it's an issue as far as the image it puts out to peer institutions (other GNAC schools especially, to some extent other schools in Oregon) whether the Monmouth community cares or not.

Comment

Salem paper reports coaching staff suspended. Also, head coach may have embellished her resume. For me, this is a really bad look for the university.

Comment

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...e/72667772007/

Comment

Well, here I thought UAF had all the problems, with our women's coach not even having an assistant coach this season and Sparling on administrative leave with Hedman and Griffin stepping up there. I don't see Sparling coming back at this point. Do coaches ever go on administrative leave for hush-hush reasons and come back? I don't think so. Glad we aren't the school forfeiting games for sure, but hoping our programs can work toward filling coaching gaps and try to build sustainably.

Comment

For you Tsull

https://x.com/oregontechowls/status/...nwEOePDqdpBcMQ

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorage View Post
                    Thanks, Oregon Tech does a great job with their athletic department. Our numbers are embarrassing, but then again our men's team has really hit rock bottom. I just can't figure out Western Oregon Athletics these days and how abysmal it is.

Comment

GNAC has some growing up to do. With commish Haglund retiring, hopefully the new guy/gal coming in puts some fear in athletic departments. I know this is an issue with WOU, but it makes the GNAC institutions as a whole look bad..........or at least this isn't the news you want.

Also, the WOU coach is young enough that it would be easy to find historical stats or to pick up a phone. The embellishing resume is a bad look for her, but dang WOU, you can't dig around a little bit?

Using rough math she's 32. Graduated freaking high school 14 years ago. Damn I'm old.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post
                        GNAC has some growing up to do. With commish Haglund retiring, hopefully the new guy/gal coming in puts some fear in athletic departments. I know this is an issue with WOU, but it makes the GNAC institutions as a whole look bad..........or at least this isn't the news you want.

Also, the WOU coach is young enough that it would be easy to find historical stats or to pick up a phone. The embellishing resume is a bad look for her, but dang WOU, you can't dig around a little bit?

Using rough math she's 32. Graduated freaking high school 14 years ago. Damn I'm old.
                        Ruined the senior year for one of our best-ever players. Shame. I love my alma mater but I'm not afraid to call them out when they do wrong and this is embarrassing for the school and the athletic department. The athletic director needs to come out with a stronger statement and say how they're going to correct things. To be honest, the conference might need to put the school on some sort of probation.

We've never done things perfectly in Monmouth, but I haven't seen anything this embarrassing in a long time. Added to the fact that we are having one of the worst won-loss years in the history of our athletic department and it's not going well.

Our president seems to be too timid to take the bull by the horns, too. Nothing but silence coming from Monmouth. The administrators are showing me they are in over their skis in their current jobs.

Comment

Congrats on all the D2 women's teams that got to finish their seasons. Criminal that WOU forfeited those games.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X