4) HPU
    5) SFSU
    6) Chico
    7) Dixie
    8) Sonoma
    -------------------------
    9) UAA
    10) WOU

That's a little shake-up, no? Well deserved movement?

Re: Regional Rankings, Round 3

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    1) CBU
    2) WWU
    3)UCSD
    4) HPU
    5) SFSU
    6) Chico
    7) Dixie
    8) Sonoma
    -------------------------
    9) UAA
    10) WOU

That's a little shake-up, no? Well deserved movement?
    GNAC won't get 2 into regionals unless WWU gets knocked off in the conference tourney.

Comment

Well, HPU got rewarded for winning their conference outright; San Francisco and Sonoma both lost during the week to a down Pomona squad. Those pitfalls make UCSD's numbers look slightly worse, allowing WWU to jump them. CBU had a big enough lead that their loss to Point Loma didn't punish them that much. Not really surprised. Of course, the teams in 6, 7, and 8 need to either win or pray for chalk to lock down their spots.

Comment

If only one of UCSD, WWU, or CBU wins their conference tournament, they will probably host. I think all three are very close. UCSD is guaranteed to play 2 high value opponents (Chico and SF/Sonoma), so their SoS will increase. I don't see anyone else having a chance to host. Overall, the seedings seem fair to me. Still hoping for every team to be playing a non-conference opponent in first round. Not optimistic!

Comment

WOU's losses down the stretch to Simon Fraser and Concordia were just killers. CU is a pretty good team; SFU is not ... and like I said, no sense of urgency by the team regarding playoff implications. Coach Shaw has done a nice job piecing this team together after losing four starters and a sixth man from last year, but they are one of the more frustrating WOU teams (IMO) to watch in terms of inconsistency.

I think the top 4 teams in the region are all very legit. After that? The teams are pretty even.

Comment

Originally posted by CCAA_Fanatic View Post
            If only one of UCSD, WWU, or CBU wins their conference tournament, they will probably host. I think all three are very close. UCSD is guaranteed to play 2 high value opponents (Chico and SF/Sonoma), so their SoS will increase. I don't see anyone else having a chance to host. Overall, the seedings seem fair to me. Still hoping for every team to be playing a non-conference opponent in first round. Not optimistic!
            I'm not sure that WWU would host if they were the only one of those 3 teams to win their tourney... Their SoS would not increase as much, because even though it kills me to say it, the GNAC doesn't have teams like HPU, CBU, SF, Chico this year. Plus WWU is still playing at Whatcom CC gym facility. Not sure that makes a difference, but from what I've heard, it's not a very big facility. I like this ranking too. Glad to see HPU move up a bit.

Think the GNAC is in a transition year and hopefully will come out with stronger teams next year. WOU only returned one player that had significant minutes last season to this years playing roster. It was bound to be tumultuous in figuring it all out. They might be a little inconsistent Tsull (okay, a lot?) but I still see it as possible that they cause havoc this week in Lacey. I'm not sure that not getting a buy in the first round will hurt them, because they seem to have a lot of depth.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
              I'm not sure that WWU would host if they were the only one of those 3 teams to win their tourney... Their SoS would not increase as much, because even though it kills me to say it, the GNAC doesn't have teams like HPU, CBU, SF, Chico this year. Plus WWU is still playing at Whatcom CC gym facility. Not sure that makes a difference, but from what I've heard, it's not a very big facility. I like this ranking too. Glad to see HPU move up a bit.

Think the GNAC is in a transition year and hopefully will come out with stronger teams next year. WOU only returned one player that had significant minutes last season to this years playing roster. It was bound to be tumultuous in figuring it all out. They might be a little inconsistent Tsull (okay, a lot?) but I still see it as possible that they cause havoc this week in Lacey. I'm not sure that not getting a buy in the first round will hurt them, because they seem to have a lot of depth.
              Actually in the big picture of things, WOU did a good job this year. I expected about 2/3 more wins, but overall a solid season. What's crazy to me is they're 10th or so in the regional rankings, and that's after blowing two games they should've won (IMO) down the stretch. Yes, they could possibly beat anyone in the GNAC tourney, they also could lose to anyone. They've split MSUB, CU, UAA, swept SMU, and were swept by WWU (after leading 15-1). Knocking off WWU is going to be tough.

Comment

My God Trammell and Faruq-Bey of WOU have poor shot selection. Trammell takes a 25-foot fadeaway while double-teamed, Wolves get offensive board, Faruq-Bey then fades away while covered, clanks it; Wolves get board, Trammell gets it and hits a 3, he's now 1 for 5 from there, but I'm sure he know thinks he's the man. Next time down court Faruq-Bey spins off-balance and throws up a horrible miss. They had a chance to go up big but don't. Thanks to this kind of play, they'll struggle down the stretch. Freaking gunners, get a clue.

Comment

WOU leads at half, 32-29. Three WOU guards 3 for 13 from the field and a total of one rebound between them. Omlid also 1 for 5. Can't believe they're leading.

I'm still at a loss of the theory that if you're not a good shooter, you keep shooting.

I miss team basketball.

Comment

Down to 5 GNAC teams alive in the post season. Billings goes down without much of a fight, losing by 11 to WOU. That game tomorrow between UAA and WOU should be a good match-up.

Comment

Semi-Finals tomorrow night:

UAA v. WOU
                      WWU v. St. Martin's

These are the 4 strongest teams in the GNAC this season, IMO. Drew Martin from Concordia was a beast tonight in defeat. He is an extremely talented player.

Comment

Omlid and Garrison really saved WOU tonight, Garrison in the first half with 13 points and good decisions with the ball. They finally located Omlid after halftime as he finished with 22 points, 11 boards, 4 steals. Pleased with the win, but if they go into those spurts of jacking bad shots (like they have all season), they won't beat UAA. Really pleased with Garrison's play the 2nd half of the season, he understands the team game.

Comment

Both semi final games tonight should be excellent!! UAA v. WOU is anyone's guess who will win. I expect it to be close throughout and every possession will be valuable.

The St. Martin's v. WWU game will be exciting as a possible upset alert with the home team needing to win to stay alive in the NCAA playoff race, whereas WWU will get a bid whether they win or lose tonight more than likely.

My hope is that it is UAA v. St. Martin's for the GNAC tournament championship on Saturday!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X