Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: URBAN MEYER on leave....

The issues are no where near similar, but this reminds me of PATERNO'S fall at PSU. When issues of bad behavior crop up it seems that coaches still think they are protecting the program by covering up. In the past when they were powerful enough to control the media, perhaps. In this age of total openness the need to take immediate action seems obvious, but somehow it continues to be the exception rather than the rule. When will they learn ??

Re: OT: URBAN MEYER on leave....

He is a mandated title 9 reporter, and his wife was too. They both deserve sanctions. Seriously, I have required training on this stuff every damn semester. Its not hard, and he failed.

Comment

Seems like most successful D1 coaches are well versed in covering things up. I would suspect they kid themselves into thinking they are "protecting the program" when what they really are doing is protecting themselves and their multi million dollar salaries.

Comment

I'm wondering if we should revisit Meyer's role in situations going back in his career, including Aaron Hernandez. Like CALUPA69 said, there's still a culture of protection in athletics that goes back to the old days when if something unsavory happened, it would just be kept quiet by everyone (especially reporters) because the coach is the biggest man in town. The Paterno situation was part of a systemic cover-up, and he and everyone involved deserved to go. I wonder who else at Ohio State knew about this, how far up does it go? I look at my PSU diploma and think if I should try to get one without Graham Spanier's name on it.

Ohio State is possibly going to fire their third football coach due to character issues (Hayes, Tressel, and maybe Meyer). Isn't one of those enough?

JAKETAMUC - I get the Title IX training every year as well, and the training isn't hard, but it is too often ignored.

Comment

Not surprising. Hell, scandals still get covered up in D2 when coaches win.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
            I'm wondering if we should revisit Meyer's role in situations going back in his career, including Aaron Hernandez. Like CALUPA69 said, there's still a culture of protection in athletics that goes back to the old days when if something unsavory happened, it would just be kept quiet by everyone (especially reporters) because the coach is the biggest man in town. The Paterno situation was part of a systemic cover-up, and he and everyone involved deserved to go. I wonder who else at Ohio State knew about this, how far up does it go? I look at my PSU diploma and think if I should try to get one without Graham Spanier's name on it.

Ohio State is possibly going to fire their third football coach due to character issues (Hayes, Tressel, and maybe Meyer). Isn't one of those enough?

JAKETAMUC - I get the Title IX training every year as well, and the training isn't hard, but it is too often ignored.
            I too got training every year related to EEO, and anti discrimination. People that "get it" get it after the first class...you can give people that don't get it training a million times and they just are never going to understand that it is wrong and needs to be reported immediately. Wonder how much time we spend as a country going to mandatory yearly training like this to try and get through to that 1% that is just never going to figure it out!

Comment

Long, but well worth the read.....

https://www.facebook.com/TheBrettMcM...42037522486968

Seems as if Meyer's wife also worked for the university and knew what was going on. She too is in violation of Title IX.

If fact it seems most of the wives knew what was happening. The story actually begins in 2009 at the UF when this same assistant coach, while again working for Meyer, began abusing his wife

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                He is a mandated title 9 reporter, and his wife was too. They both deserve sanctions. Seriously, I have required training on this stuff every damn semester. Its not hard, and he failed.
                Does Title IX apply if the incidents occurred in a privately owned residence during a non campus related event? I'm not seeing where it does but I also have not seen where the incidents with the Smiths actually occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
                  Does Title IX apply if the incidents occurred in a privately owned residence during a non campus related event? I'm not seeing where it does but I also have not seen where the incidents with the Smiths actually occurred.
                  I don't know about situations with adults, but as a teacher we were mandated to report anything we saw, such as bruises, changed behavior, etc. on kids from things that might have happened at home. Things have changed so much over the years it is hard to keep up.

The most likely way for him to survive this- if he does- would be for his wife to take the blame.

Comment

Click the link I just posted. There were police reports, pictures that Courtney Smith sent to Shelley Meyer and others. She told her parents and his parents.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Yes, it still applies to all faculty, staff, and students at the University 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post
                        Long, but well worth the read.....

https://www.facebook.com/TheBrettMcM...42037522486968

Seems as if Meyer's wife also worked for the university and knew what was going on. She too is in violation of Title IX.

If fact it seems most of the wives knew what was happening. The story actually begins in 2009 at the UF when this same assistant coach, while again working for Meyer, began abusing his wife
                        Originally posted by laker View Post
                        I don't know about situations with adults, but as a teacher we were mandated to report anything we saw, such as bruises, changed behavior, etc. on kids from things that might have happened at home. Things have changed so much over the years it is hard to keep up.

The most likely way for him to survive this- if he does- would be for his wife to take the blame.
                        Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post
                        Click the link I just posted. There were police reports, pictures that Courtney Smith sent to Shelley Meyer and others. She told her parents and his parents.
                        I found that right after I posted. I still don't see anything you can call a Title IX issue and McMurphy states he is unsure as well early in his report. Now Meyer definitely has issues with The U's policy.

Comment

Yes, it still applies to all faculty, staff, and students at the University 24/7.
                          Can you show me where that is stated in federal law? I have not found it. Only on campus and campus related events and property. A U may have an institutional policy that goes beyond Title IX's reach.

Edit: Had Mrs. Smith been a student Title IX would apply but with their personal situations I don't see where Title IX reaches into a private residence here.
                          Last edited by Taxman; 08-02-2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I'm a huge Buckeye fan but they need to unload Meyer ASAP. If they think this is going to go away they are only fooling themselves.

Comment

Honestly training means nothing when people are lazy, apathetic, or are generally terrible. I've done tons of trainings for things and still see on the news someone who went through similar training fail hard and get caught.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X